DJClaire

US Divorce Decree for London Embassy?

5 posts in this topic

I have my interview in London on Tuesday.

I have a scanned copy of my fiance's divorce decree ready to take. I have seen conflicting information on this site about whether I will require the original or if the scanned copy will be enough.

The scanned copy was included in the original I129F and approved.

Has anyone been to interview in the last few months and have any information about this?

Many Thanks!

event.png

K1

NOA1: May 10th 2018

NOA2: October 30th 2018

NVC Received: November 30th 2018

Embassy Received: December 27th 2018

Medical: January 14th 2019

Interview: January 22nd 2019 (Approved subject to medical approval), Medical approved and sent to the embassy: 24th January 2019

Visa in Hand: February 1st 2019

AOS / EAD / AP + OTHER NOTABLE EVENTS (WHICH MAY BE USEFUL TO KNOW)

POE: New York (JFK) February 6th 2019

SSN: Applied in SS Office on February 7th (New Haven)

Wedding: February 14th ❤

SSN Card received: February 20th

Marriage certificate received: February 21st, Passed Driving test theory (CT): February 21st, Opened first bank account (CT): February 21st

Attended 8 hour driver safety course (CT): February 23rd

AOS / AP / EAD sent: March 7th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD received: March 9th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD payment taken: March 25th, 2019

Driving Road Test: March 29th, 2019 (Passed)

NOA1: All received by mail: April 2nd, 2019

Biometrics Appointment: April 19th, 2019 (Hartford, CT) - Good Friday

Telephone Request to Expedite I-131: May 31st, 2019 (Financial Loss)

Email from USCIS requesting info: June 6th, 2019, Information faxed: June 6th, 2019

Telephone Request to Expedite I-765: July 2nd, 2019

CARD IN PRODUCTION - YIPPPPEEEEEE July 3rd, 2019. Hallelujah! lol

EAD/AP Combo card received: July 8th, 2019.

AOS Interview (Hartford): December 4th, 2019, AOS Approval: December 5th, 2019 (Text / online notification)

Greencard Received: December 12, 2019

FROM K1 NOA1 to GREEN CARD IN HAND: 581 DAYS (1 YEAR, 7 MONTHS AND 2 DAYS).

Here we go again on the crazy USCIS train! 

I751 Application filed 6th September, 2021

24 month extension letter received

N400 Application filed online 6th September, 2022

28th February, 2023 : 48 month extension letter received

13th March: N400 updated to 'Interview was Scheduled'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, DJClaire said:

I have a scanned copy of my fiance's divorce decree ready to take. I have seen conflicting information on this site about whether I will require the original or if the scanned copy will be enough.

Has anyone been to interview in the last few months and have any information about this?

Many Thanks!

The documents taken to the London  interview are all about the beneficiary. Nothing is needed from the US Petitioner except the I-134 Affidavit of Support and one proof of income. The required documents are listed on the London embassy website. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/

Everywhere it says "you", "your", or "yourself", they are speaking to the person applying for the visa who will be interviewed.

From that page:

You are required to obtain the original or certified copy, and one photocopy (with the exception of your passport and photographs) of the following documents for yourself and each family member applying for a visa.

There is a UK forum on Visa Journey where you would get better London answers at this interview stage. 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

5 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

The documents taken to the London  interview are all about the beneficiary. Nothing is needed from the US Petitioner except the I-134 Affidavit of Support and one proof of income. The required documents are listed on the London embassy website. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/

Everywhere it says "you", "your", or "yourself", they are speaking to the person applying for the visa who will be interviewed.

From that page:

You are required to obtain the original or certified copy, and one photocopy (with the exception of your passport and photographs) of the following documents for yourself and each family member applying for a visa.

There is a UK forum on Visa Journey where you would get better London answers at this interview stage. 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

Hi Wuozopo, 

Just to check I am not being dense then . . .  as I have never been married I have no Divorce Decree to bring and they do not need to see anything from my petitioner other than the i134, bank account information for all accounts and the latest tax filings (as they are self employed).

event.png

K1

NOA1: May 10th 2018

NOA2: October 30th 2018

NVC Received: November 30th 2018

Embassy Received: December 27th 2018

Medical: January 14th 2019

Interview: January 22nd 2019 (Approved subject to medical approval), Medical approved and sent to the embassy: 24th January 2019

Visa in Hand: February 1st 2019

AOS / EAD / AP + OTHER NOTABLE EVENTS (WHICH MAY BE USEFUL TO KNOW)

POE: New York (JFK) February 6th 2019

SSN: Applied in SS Office on February 7th (New Haven)

Wedding: February 14th ❤

SSN Card received: February 20th

Marriage certificate received: February 21st, Passed Driving test theory (CT): February 21st, Opened first bank account (CT): February 21st

Attended 8 hour driver safety course (CT): February 23rd

AOS / AP / EAD sent: March 7th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD received: March 9th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD payment taken: March 25th, 2019

Driving Road Test: March 29th, 2019 (Passed)

NOA1: All received by mail: April 2nd, 2019

Biometrics Appointment: April 19th, 2019 (Hartford, CT) - Good Friday

Telephone Request to Expedite I-131: May 31st, 2019 (Financial Loss)

Email from USCIS requesting info: June 6th, 2019, Information faxed: June 6th, 2019

Telephone Request to Expedite I-765: July 2nd, 2019

CARD IN PRODUCTION - YIPPPPEEEEEE July 3rd, 2019. Hallelujah! lol

EAD/AP Combo card received: July 8th, 2019.

AOS Interview (Hartford): December 4th, 2019, AOS Approval: December 5th, 2019 (Text / online notification)

Greencard Received: December 12, 2019

FROM K1 NOA1 to GREEN CARD IN HAND: 581 DAYS (1 YEAR, 7 MONTHS AND 2 DAYS).

Here we go again on the crazy USCIS train! 

I751 Application filed 6th September, 2021

24 month extension letter received

N400 Application filed online 6th September, 2022

28th February, 2023 : 48 month extension letter received

13th March: N400 updated to 'Interview was Scheduled'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, DJClaire said:

Hi Wuozopo, 

Just to check I am not being dense then . . .  as I have never been married I have no Divorce Decree to bring and they do not need to see anything from my petitioner other than the i134, bank account information for all accounts and the latest tax filings (as they are self employed).

Correct to both.

The embassy list has many things that won't apply to every K1 like military records, deed poll for a name change, police certificates from other countries, etc. If it doesn't apply to you, the one going to the interview, then you ignore that item. In case you have been reading too many posts from other countries, I believe it is the Phillipines that requires a certificate of never being married. There is no such thing in the UK and not a requirement at a London K1 interview. Just follow the London embassy's list and you will be fine. It is not an intimidating interview. It is a very short chat standing at a glass window/counter like at the post office.

12 hours ago, DJClaire said:

Many Thanks!

If the requirements don't express that you need a copy or original the rule of thumb would be you can't go wrong with an original and a copy. You present the original and copy to the CO and you can request the original be returned and the CO can keep the copy. They typically will abide by that since they did touch and feel the original. Usually copies are only required from the USC unless specified by the consulate.

I believe I helped with what is needed for the interview (P3 letter) for the UK. If not let me know and I can repost them for you.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.