Filipi

Shutdown influence on J1 Waiver 2019

33 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm applying for a j1 waiver on basis of No-Objection Certificate and sent all documents last December. The package has received on 20/DEC/2018 by DoS according to UPS tracking. Today is 16/JAN/2019 and my case number is not yet in their system (case number not found on https://j1visawaiverstatus.state.gov). The embassy of my country already sent the NOC and nothing changed in the system as well.

Any of you know if govt shutdown is having any influence on waiver processing?

Thanks

No known delays for DOS processing exist, and USCIS is unaffected (except e-Verify).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

10 hours ago, Filipi said:

Hi all,

I'm applying for a j1 waiver on basis of No-Objection Certificate and sent all documents last December. The package has received on 20/DEC/2018 by DoS according to UPS tracking. Today is 16/JAN/2019 and my case number is not yet in their system (case number not found on https://j1visawaiverstatus.state.gov). The embassy of my country already sent the NOC and nothing changed in the system as well.

Thanks

Hello Filipi,

I sent my packet on December 26 and USPS suggested it is lost but today got call again from USPS (upon submission of my lost mail case to USPS for claim) and now they say that they are unable to find my packet in J1 waiver Dept PO Box or their shelves in post office, and suggested to check with DoS if they have picked it. USPS person also told me that DoS person might forgt to scan my packet upon pick up also suggested due to shutdown possibly they have not updated their website (who knows). DoS website on other hand suggest J1 waiver is not affected with shut down (links available on this forum somewhere) so have no idea what is going on there.

USPS suggest DoS should have picked my packet on December 28th morning but I am also curious why it is taking so long to update my status (same as you mentioned). But in my case, I can see my case number on J1status website with following message:

Currently, there is no information regarding the status of your case. If you would like additional information, please contact Public Inquiries at 212ewaiver@state.gov

I have sent my query to this email and waiting for response (usually takes week or more). Let's see.

Thanks for sharing your experience, JWaiver_2019.

That is not a good sign, maybe the Shutdown is affecting new applications, or, maybe, they are just not getting updated in the website, as you said. Another possibility is that December holidays had some impact in their workflow.

I'm particularly worried because I'm not in US anymore and for me to send another package to then, takes a lot of time, it is also very difficult to buy an US dollar money order from where I live. Same can be said about the stamped envelopes.

Regarding the Status, for me it is the same, this happens for any case number not yet received by them.

Let's hope everything goes smoothly. Please keep us updated if anything changes in status page. I will do the same.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Filipi said:

Thanks for sharing your experience, JWaiver_2019.

That is not a good sign, maybe the Shutdown is affecting new applications, or, maybe, they are just not getting updated in the website, as you said. Another possibility is that December holidays had some impact in their workflow.

I'm particularly worried because I'm not in US anymore and for me to send another package to then, takes a lot of time, it is also very difficult to buy an US dollar money order from where I live. Same can be said about the stamped envelopes.

Regarding the Status, for me it is the same, this happens for any case number not yet received by them.

Let's hope everything goes smoothly. Please keep us updated if anything changes in status page. I will do the same.

Thanks

If possible for you to check, if your money order has been cashed. This is one way to track if they have received your package.

17 hours ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

If possible for you to check, if your money order has been cashed. This is one way to track if they have received your package.

That is a good idea, however I'm not in US anymore, so for me it is a little bit complicated because I need to call the bank. I will try that later. How about you, did you checked if your order has been checked already?

40 minutes ago, Filipi said:

That is a good idea, however I'm not in US anymore, so for me it is a little bit complicated because I need to call the bank. I will try that later. How about you, did you checked if your order has been checked already?

I used USPS service and they say it may take couple of weeks to more than a month to investigate and get money order status so useless in my case too.

But there is update. I got email directly from St Louis post office (who receive and handle J1 waiver dept mails) and informed me that my mail has been delivered on Dec 28th to DoS and my status is currently for other mail, incorrectly scanned. I can just trust this email now since I was giving hard time to USPS. So I believe there is delay from DoS to update the status of new applicants.

They are working and giving recommendations to applicants but I have not heard anything about new status updates for package received recently. Keep me posted too since I believe your packed acknowledgement should be posted before mine.

Fingers crossed now!

On 1/16/2019 at 7:07 AM, Filipi said:

Hi all,

Thanks

Keep us posted if you get status update by next Tuesday, since it should not take more than a month to update status online as per DoS statement below:

"Allow approximately one month after submitting a complete application before checking your status. You may send questions about your case or questions that are not answered on this website to 212ewaiver@state.gov. We will send you a response by email."

This looks maximum timeline since previous threads showed average 2-3 weeks time to update status.

If it is not updated by Tuesday for you, the you must write them (212ewaiver@state.gov) to check, if they have really received your package or not.

My Embassy has informed me that they will be sending my NOS next week too but I am also waiting for DoS to update my application status if documents/fee received or not. Let's keep all posted!

On 1/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, JWaiver_2019 said:

Keep us posted if you get status update by next Tuesday, since it should not take more than a month to update status online as per DoS statement below:

"Allow approximately one month after submitting a complete application before checking your status. You may send questions about your case or questions that are not answered on this website to 212ewaiver@state.gov. We will send you a response by email."

This looks maximum timeline since previous threads showed average 2-3 weeks time to update status.

If it is not updated by Tuesday for you, the you must write them (212ewaiver@state.gov) to check, if they have really received your package or not.

My Embassy has informed me that they will be sending my NOS next week too but I am also waiting for DoS to update my application status if documents/fee received or not. Let's keep all posted!

No changes on the status page for my case yet and never got a response from 212ewaiver@state.gov, I sent an email more than 10 days ago and nothing. I've just sent another msg to them, let's see what happens.

7 hours ago, Filipi said:

No changes on the status page for my case yet and never got a response from 212ewaiver@state.gov, I sent an email more than 10 days ago and nothing. I've just sent another msg to them, let's see what happens.

This is strange!

You have already passed suggested threshold so may be try again with short email more specifically mentioning that it supposed to be updated in one month after receiving documents (as per their website note) and I am not sure if there is calling option to check the status as well. 

I will check previous threads to see or if any other member can share any number to contact DoS.

Just now, JWaiver_2019 said:

This is strange!

You have already passed suggested threshold so may be try again with short email more specifically mentioning that it supposed to be updated in one month after receiving documents (as per their website note) and I am not sure if there is calling option to check the status as well. 

I will check previous threads to see or if any other member can share any number to contact DoS.

By the way, mine is not updated yet and my NOS is ready at Embassy to be sent to DoS too. I have also sent emails but no response. I will also keep posted here.

7 hours ago, Filipi said:

One more thing, did your Embassy sent NOS to DoS? If yes, when did they sent. 

I didn't notice, sinc I was more depending on other members timelines here, but I just read DoS website note again and it suggests to check the status after completing steps 1-3 that includes NOS sent from Embassy and then status to be updated in a month time. 

Read step 4:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange/waiver-of-the-exchange-visitor/how-to-apply-waiver.html

2 minutes ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

One more thing, did your Embassy sent NOS to DoS? If yes, when did they sent. 

I didn't notice, sinc I was more depending on other members timelines here, but I just read DoS website note again and it suggests to check the status after completing steps 1-3 that includes NOS sent from Embassy and then status to be updated in a month time. 

Read step 4:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange/waiver-of-the-exchange-visitor/how-to-apply-waiver.html

Yes my embassy sent the NOS at about the same time the package arrived (around 20/DEC/2018). But no updates to the website and they are not responding any of my inquiries by email.

49 minutes ago, Filipi said:

Yes my embassy sent the NOS at about the same time the package arrived (around 20/DEC/2018). But no updates to the website and they are not responding any of my inquiries by email.

Strange! Your status really fulfilled their timeline and should be updated. I will suggest you keep sending them emails since this is the only available option to get response and keep us posted too.

We do pray, that you see status update soon!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.