25 posts in this topic

Hello!

i am a j1 exchange visitor with a 2 year home residency requirement. i filed the waiver and sent necessary requirements to CFO and dept of state. Do you have any idea how long will it take to get the approval for the waiver? My visa will expire in June 2019. I was thinking of not renewing with my j1 visa for another two years and will just process greencard if i get the approval.

thanking you in advance. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

You might want to skim through this 44 page thread to get an idea of how long approvals take:

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

1 hour ago, Marie1992 said:

Hello!

i am a j1 exchange visitor with a 2 year home residency requirement. i filed the waiver and sent necessary requirements to CFO and dept of state. Do you have any idea how long will it take to get the approval for the waiver? My visa will expire in June 2019. I was thinking of not renewing with my j1 visa for another two years and will just process greencard if i get the approval.

thanking you in advance. 

Same situation here. I have also applied for J waiver (my J1 status ending in July 2019) and sent documents to DoS J1 Waiver St Louis address on December 28 (pending delivery for 1 week).

I am also expecting decision before June. As per my research on multiple forums, we need to see when DoS opens our case, i.e. once all documents including No Objection from embassy are received, then the process shouldn't be longer than 3 months in 85% of cases (hope you are counted among this 85%). Fingers crossed!

Keep us posted!

2 minutes ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

Same situation here. I have also applied for J waiver (my J1 status ending in July 2019) and sent documents to DoS J1 Waiver St Louis address on December 28 (pending delivery for 1 week).

I am also expecting decision before June. As per my research on multiple forums, we need to see when DoS opens our case, i.e. once all documents including No Objection from embassy are received, then the process shouldn't be longer than 3 months in 85% of cases (hope you are counted among this 85%). Fingers crossed!

Keep us posted!

Hello! Yes, hopefully it wont take that long. Praying for it. Did you already send other documents to your consulate as well? 

1 minute ago, Marie1992 said:

Hello! Yes, hopefully it wont take that long. Praying for it. Did you already send other documents to your consulate as well? 

Yes, I wish!

I have requested embassy for NOS too and expecting response by end of the month with expectation to get decision by April/May.

On other hand my application packet/documents got stuck at DoS J1 waiver post office for delivery.

11 minutes ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

Yes, I wish!

I have requested embassy for NOS too and expecting response by end of the month with expectation to get decision by April/May.

On other hand my application packet/documents got stuck at DoS J1 waiver post office for delivery.

Oh no! Hoping they’ll deliver it! Do you also have the 2 year extension for your j1? Are you going to apply for it?

25 minutes ago, Marie1992 said:

Oh no! Hoping they’ll deliver it! Do you also have the 2 year extension for your j1? Are you going to apply for it?

Yes, I hope so!

I am switching to H1B so I could have longer duration contract from same employer. My employer is in agreement to process H1B with premium service soon after waiver.

But with J1 visa, I have offer to get annual extensions for next two years only and any way will be going through same painful process again next year so why not I apply for waiver now. So choice is in my hand but I prefer H1B over J1.

2 minutes ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

Yes, I hope so!

I am switching to H1B so I could have longer duration contract from same employer. My employer is in agreement to process H1B with premium service soon after waiver.

But with J1 visa, I have offer to get annual extensions for next two years only and any way will be going through same painful process again next year so why not I apply for waiver now. So choice is in my hand but I prefer H1B over J1.

That’s nice to hear! Hoping all the best with all your processing. In my case, i am not considering the extension and apply for a green card. The pain will be the waiting. 😔

6 minutes ago, Marie1992 said:

That’s nice to hear! Hoping all the best with all your processing. In my case, i am not considering the extension and apply for a green card. The pain will be the waiting. 😔

Ultimate goal of many J waiver applicants is GC and if one doesn't have H1B offer then it makes sense to apply once you meet eligibility criteria for one of GC categories.

I wish you all the best ... and yes, wait is painful and I have experienced the same when I was waiting for administrative process for J visa (almost 9 weeks wait before I get it) but wish not this time .... fingers crossed!

keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 6:41 PM, JWaiver_2019 said:

Yes, I wish!

Hello! Did you get any update with your waiver? 

On 1/13/2019 at 10:36 PM, Marie1992 said:

Hello! Did you get any update with your waiver? 

Nope!

USPS lost my DoS packet and I am trying to refund money order and resubmit another package using Fedex. So more delay! :(

On 1/15/2019 at 10:43 PM, Marie1992 said:

Oh no! Im sorry to hear that! That is crazy. Hope they’ll get it this time. 

Hi Marie1992,

Do you hv your status update on document received? Can you please share what is a current timeline of your application?

3 hours ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

Hi Marie1992,

Do you hv your status update on document received? Can you please share what is a current timeline of your application?

Hi! Yes, mine was received Jan. 9th. I also received an email from my home country that my waiver is approved. So i am just waiting for the embassy to send documents to DoS. How’s yours going? 

9 minutes ago, Marie1992 said:

Hi! Yes, mine was received Jan. 9th. I also received an email from my home country that my waiver is approved. So i am just waiting for the embassy to send documents to DoS. How’s yours going? 

This is great news!

USPS send me email confirmation in written that my documents were delivered on December 28, 2018 so I am relax from that point and happy at least my emails, calls worked and USPS admitted their staff mistake of incorrectly scanned packet.

My country has also approved my NOS for waiver clearance and waiting for Embassy to send NOS anytime this week. But DoS site has not updated if they have received my documents. But now I am waiting based on other members suggestion that should give them some time.

So things are on track for me too. Thanks for update and let's keep all posted! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.