Chris Duffy

Throw Away Ticket When Traveling to PI for long stay

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, M&JB said:

We won’t stay even a year, probably at least a month or two. Our kids are not dual citizens yet. I have not done report of births or philippine passport for them.Yes, I am the birth mother and it say that on both of their birth certificates. So we ( they, at least ) will definitely need a return ticket before entering the Philippines? 

Yes your children and husband will need to show return airfare as long as it is within the one year limitation all is good.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Yes your children and husband will need to show return airfare as long as it is within the one year limitation all is good.

Balikbayan Privilege

The Balikbayan Privilege (often called a Balikbayan Visa) is a special program that may be used by former citizens of the Philippines. The Balikbayan Privilege may also be issued to Spouses and Children of former and/or current Philippine Citizens. In other words, if your spouse is a Philippine citizen you may obtain the Balikbayan Privilege, but only if your spouse is traveling with you when you enter the Philippines. If you are a minor and one of your parents is a Philippine Citizen and is traveling with you, you are eligible to receive the Balikbayan Privilege.

If you are entering the Philippines and intend to avail of the Balikbayan Privilege you are not required to have an ongoing ticket. If the airline tells you that you must have an ongoing ticket they are incorrect, although this is a common error by the airlines because they do not understand the policy. If this happens, ask to speak to an airline supervisor and tell them to check Philippine Immigration policies (on their computer) and look specifically at the Balikbayan Privilege information.

https://www.liveinthephilippines.com/onward-ticket-throwaway-ticket/

Timeline
1 hour ago, M&JB said:

Balikbayan Privilege

The Balikbayan Privilege (often called a Balikbayan Visa) is a special program that may be used by former citizens of the Philippines. The Balikbayan Privilege may also be issued to Spouses and Children of former and/or current Philippine Citizens. In other words, if your spouse is a Philippine citizen you may obtain the Balikbayan Privilege, but only if your spouse is traveling with you when you enter the Philippines. If you are a minor and one of your parents is a Philippine Citizen and is traveling with you, you are eligible to receive the Balikbayan Privilege.

If you are entering the Philippines and intend to avail of the Balikbayan Privilege you are not required to have an ongoing ticket. If the airline tells you that you must have an ongoing ticket they are incorrect, although this is a common error by the airlines because they do not understand the policy. If this happens, ask to speak to an airline supervisor and tell them to check Philippine Immigration policies (on their computer) and look specifically at the Balikbayan Privilege information.

https://www.liveinthephilippines.com/onward-ticket-throwaway-ticket/

Not sure how much weight that website would carry with the airlines, they are the ones that won't let you on the aircraft if they don't want to.    Stays beyond 30 days and up to one year are covered by the Balikbayan privilege.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Balikbayan is a privilege not a visa.   For your husband to get the BB stamp in his passport you need to be with him as he clears immigration upon arrival.   The Balikbayan stamp is good for one year.  Not sure the airline would allow a one way ticket with that, as the BB stamp has a one year limitation, so with a one way ticket he may still need the throw away ticket.

Your kids are not dual citizens ... you are the birth mother?   Then they are dual citizens .. you need only to apply for Philippine passports for them IF you completed Report of Birth when they were born.

My nephew a US Citizen entered the Philippines in August of this year, along with this PI wife whom is dual citizen.  Both of them just had one way tickets to Philippines.  No issues entering or getting on a plane, he got the BB privilige

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

My nephew a US Citizen entered the Philippines in August of this year, along with this PI wife whom is dual citizen.  Both of them just had one way tickets to Philippines.  No issues entering or getting on a plane, he got the BB privilige

That is good to know on the one way ticket  ...  thanks

I have not stayed beyond 6 months so I have alway had a round trip ticket.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

What airline did they fly in on?  By Philippine law all domestic carriers are required to understand the Balikbayan privilege.  This information may make it over to the PA code share airlines as well. 

YMMV

On 12/30/2018 at 4:32 AM, Chris Duffy said:

My understanding if wanting to stay longer than 30 days you must have a throw away ticket if a US Citizen if staying longer than 30 days.

So I buy a RT from USA to PI and back, but show the ticket I bought from Manila to HK leaving within 30 days of my entry.

This should satisfy the airlines or BI in Philippines

The above should work in theory but if you use a different airline for Hong Kong, the checkin agent won't beable to verify the ticket and may not issue you a boarding pass to leave the US.

There are cheaper ways to get a long stay without the risk of getting stuck in the US.

1. Philippine consulates in the US will issue 59 day visas in advance of your trip, for $30 plus postage.

2. In most cases, you can spend an extra $100 or so on a "Flexible" round-trip ticket which allows you to change the date of your return flight after you arrive in the Philippines, without penalty.  If you choose a return date that has the same fare, there is no additional charge. You are responsible, however, for the fare difference if its a more expensive flight.

59 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What airline did they fly in on?

In Hong Kong twice last year I had a problem with Cathay without a return ticket with my asawa.    I had a printout of the rule but the first time they found my return reservation that was ticketed by American so no issue.    The second time i ended up going online a getting an award ticket with American that I could cancel without a fee. (A benefit a traveling on AMerican 100,000 plus a year.) 

I;ve never gotten the BB stamp   Just a hand written BB on the entry.  In fact last time a Cebu I just used the APEC lane with no wait.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

5 hours ago, payxibka said:

What airline did they fly in on?  By Philippine law all domestic carriers are required to understand the Balikbayan privilege.  This information may make it over to the PA code share airlines as well. 

From USA to Philippines they flew PA (Philippines Airlines) so they could transfer there luggage and dogs (service Animals) from Manila to Davao City.

I was told it was pure hell getting the dogs on the plane as a service animal from MNL to DVO. 

I was told that Philippines Air has no respect for US laws on service animals. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

From USA to Philippines they flew PA (Philippines Airlines) so they could transfer there luggage and dogs (service Animals) from Manila to Davao City.

I was told it was pure hell getting the dogs on the plane as a service animal from MNL to DVO. 

I was told that Philippines Air has no respect for US laws on service animals. <<   THAT is TOTALLY TRUE!!!   I cancelled a flight with them because of their BS

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

13 hours ago, Hank_ said:

That is good to know on the one way ticket  ...  thanks

I have not stayed beyond 6 months so I have alway had a round trip ticket.

Yea, I sent him a viber yesterday when this post got busy,  I was curious as well

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Yea, I sent him a viber yesterday when this post got busy,  I was curious as well

I always get questioned at the airport being my stay is beyond the 30 days .. then the light bulb comes on with the ticket agent .. wife

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

I was told that Philippines Air has no respect for US laws on service animals. 

Because they are not in the USA, US law no longer applies.  The question is what are the IATA rules for service animals

YMMV

13 hours ago, payxibka said:

Philippine Air

So they could catch the next plane from Manila to Davao 

28 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

I always get questioned at the airport being my stay is beyond the 30 days .. then the light bulb comes on with the ticket agent .. wife

Wife?

Explain

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.