Chris Duffy

Throw Away Ticket When Traveling to PI for long stay

36 posts in this topic

My understanding if wanting to stay longer than 30 days you must have a throw away ticket if a US Citizen if staying longer than 30 days.

So I buy a RT from USA to PI and back, but show the ticket I bought from Manila to HK leaving within 30 days of my entry.

This should satisfy the airlines or BI in Philippines

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

My understanding if wanting to stay longer than 30 days you must have a throw away ticket if a US Citizen if staying longer than 30 days.

So I buy a RT from USA to PI and back, but show the ticket I bought from Manila to HK leaving within 30 days of my entry.

This should satisfy the airlines or BI in Philippines

Yes .. most airlines do check your return date on your RT ticket, you would need a throwaway to get past the ticket agents at the (USA) airport.  UNLESS you are traveling with your asawa .. the airlines are aware of the BB privilege for a one year visa free stay.

Ticket agents have started to question me on this .. then they look beside me and see my asawa .. discussion ends.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Part 2

If I flew in and stayed a little while (less than 30) and had throw away ticket.  The wife arrives a few weeks later, I could fly out to say HK and back in and have her or I wait to go thru customs and then enter the PI and I could get the BB visa.

There is no rule that state we must fly together on same plane to get BB visa

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Part 2

If I flew in and stayed a little while (less than 30) and had throw away ticket.  The wife arrives a few weeks later, I could fly out to say HK and back in and have her or I wait to go thru customs and then enter the PI and I could get the BB visa.

I suppose it depends on how long you intend to wait.  A few minutes or a few days.  I doubt they will let you loiter very long

YMMV

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Part 2

At entry you both have to clear Immigration together to get the BB stamp  .. doesn't matter if you are on different flights.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

48 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I suppose it depends on how long you intend to wait.  A few minutes or a few days.  I doubt they will let you loiter very long

It would be less than one hour, if I plan the trips out right

This is just thinking out loud as well

48 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

At entry you both have to clear Immigration together to get the BB stamp  .. doesn't matter if you are on different flights.

That is what I was thinking

On 12/30/2018 at 8:10 AM, Hank_ said:

Yes .. most airlines do check your return date on your RT ticket, you would need a throwaway to get past the ticket agents at the (USA) airport.  UNLESS you are traveling with your asawa .. the airlines are aware of the BB privilege for a one year visa free stay.

Ticket agents have started to question me on this .. then they look beside me and see my asawa .. discussion ends.

I had an interesting experience during our Hong Kong vacation within a vacation.  Cathay Pacific would not issue my Hong Kong to Manila boarding pass until I showed my Manila to Hong Kong ticket for the following week.  I didn't have anything with me but since I booked the flight on Cathay they were able to find it.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

2 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I had an interesting experience during our Hong Kong vacation within a vacation.  Cathay Pacific would not issue my Hong Kong to Manila boarding pass until I showed my Manila to Hong Kong ticket for the following week.  I didn't have anything with me but since I booked the flight on Cathay they were able to find it.  

You were doing the throw away ticket?  

6 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

You were doing the throw away ticket?  

No.  It was just the first time I realized that if I didn't have a ticket out of Manila I would not have been allowed to leave Hong Kong.  Now I understand the throwaway ticket better.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 12/30/2018 at 7:10 AM, Hank_ said:

UNLESS you are traveling with your asawa .. the airlines are aware of the BB privilege for a one year visa free stay.

Hi. So if my husband and my two kids travel with me to the Philippines, we would be okay to enter without a return ticket since I am a Filipina and can be under the Balikbayan visa? 

13 minutes ago, M&JB said:

Hi. So if my husband and my two kids travel with me to the Philippines, we would be okay to enter without a return ticket since I am a Filipina and can be under the Balikbayan visa? 

They get the BB Privilege not you, But since it's your country you don't need anything to enter or stay. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

They get the BB Privilege not you, But since it's your country you don't need anything to enter or stay. 

I am the Filipino citizen, they’re all US citizens. We are all traveling together. So me, as the filipino, can be qualified for the BB visa and since they are my immediate family who are traveling with me, can’t their passport be stamped with BB visa too? And my main concern, it’s okay with only one way tickets?

So sorry for the confusion, just want to be really clear about it

Edited by M&JB

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Never mind! I get it now, thanks!

Timeline
2 hours ago, M&JB said:

Balikbayan is a privilege not a visa.   For your husband to get the BB stamp in his passport you need to be with him as he clears immigration upon arrival.   The Balikbayan stamp is good for one year.  Not sure the airline would allow a one way ticket with that, as the BB stamp has a one year limitation, so with a one way ticket he may still need the throw away ticket.

Your kids are not dual citizens ... you are the birth mother?   Then they are dual citizens .. you need only to apply for Philippine passports for them IF you completed Report of Birth when they were born.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Balikbayan is a privilege not a visa.   For your husband to get the BB stamp in his passport you need to be with him as he clears immigration upon arrival.   The Balikbayan stamp is good for one year.  Not sure the airline would allow a one way ticket with that, as the BB stamp has a one year limitation, so with a one way ticket he may still need the throw away ticket.

Your kids are not dual citizens ... you are the birth mother?   Then they are dual citizens .. you need only to apply for Philippine passports for them IF you completed Report of Birth when they were born.

We won’t stay even a year, probably at least a month or two. Our kids are not dual citizens yet. I have not done report of births or philippine passport for them.Yes, I am the birth mother and it say that on both of their birth certificates. So we ( they, at least ) will definitely need a return ticket before entering the Philippines? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.