h1btogc

I am on H1-B and my fiancee is a USC. Can we start my green card processing with a court marriage and have a traditional wedding after green card is received.

4 posts in this topic

I am an Indian citizen living in the USA since 2013 ( F1 then OPT and now on H1-B since Oct,2018). My Fiancee is a U.S citizen and we are planning to start my green card process. 

From my previous question, I understand that a court marriage ceremony is sufficient to start my green card process.

We still would like to have a traditional ceremony with family and friends in India. And we are planning for it to be after I receive my Green card.

My questions: 

1) Has any one been on this path ? (Court marriage in US and traditional marriage after receiving GC)

2) During the interview if asked for traditional wedding pictures, is it okay to say that our traditional marriage is planned to be after GC is processed ?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1. Yes you can do this 

2. The courthouse ceremony will be your official marraige .. however you  celebrate after that is of no significance to your GC application  using the Adjustment of Status 

There is no requirement for immigration purposes to have a fancy wedding. The marriage ceremony must be legal, that’s the only requirement. Having 1000 guests, 6-course meals, a garden of flowers, dancing girls, performing lions, fireworks, or anything else does not make the marriage any more legal than a courthouse ceremony. You will not be asked why you only had a small ceremony. I think you are confusing the advice given to visa applicants from India who married in India but without a full ceremony. You live in the USA and courthouse weddings are not unusual here or culturally abnormal. Big weddings are less and less popular these days with couples preferring to spend money on a new home, a big honeymoon or preparing for the future (babies, home improvements, etc). So a simple courthouse wedding here is not seen as a red flag. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.