jtrh

Check still not cashed 10 days after receiving texts

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Our AOS catastrophe continues. I previously posted that we shipped our AOS materials to the Chicago lockbox on December 6. It was never delivered (according to tracking) and the USPS informed me that I should cancel the check of the old package, create an intercept request so that the old package gets sent back to me instead of USCIS if found, and send a new package.  I did so on December 18. 

On December 20, we received the texts and emails announcing that the case was received. However, this morning I got slightly concerned because the check remains uncashed 10 days later. Has anyone else who filed just before Christmas had theirs cashed?? Normally it’s only a couple of days post-NOA1 texts, but I’m hoping processing times are slow due to the holiday...

To further complicate the situation, this morning I checked the case status of my three NOA1 numbers on the USCIS website: the I-485 one says the case was received December 19, but the ones for the AP and EAD say they were received December 7!!! Now I’m flipping out and think maybe the earlier package WAS delivered even though USPS said it was lost and they’re trying to cash the old check which I voided. 

Seriously such a freaking mess. I think I need to speak to a real person at this point, how to best get in contact? I’m afraid that our case file is going to be labeled “Problem File” because the post office majorly screwed up...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Estonia
Timeline

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I'm following this thread to see what the more experienced users will recommend.

I have a similar situation, where we had to re-submit our package because our check had the wrong date on it (our mistake). We re-submitted with the correct check on December 17th, it was delivered on Dec 18th. Still we have not received NOA1 texts or e-mails. I've been calling USCIS every day for the past week to ask them: why don't we have NOA1, do we have to re-submit again? Every time they tell me a) they have no record of me re-submitting the three forms, b) they can't connect me to a Tier 2 person and c) they submitted a request for non-delivery and will let me know in 30 days if they find my package :D

Fedex says delivered Dec 18th. USCIS tier 1 people have no idea why we're not in the system. So at this point IDK if they legit lost my package or what is the matter. 

I'm hesitant to send another package and check in case our original package shows up.

Timeline

Gosh, it sucks to hear that you're having similar problems, but also reassuring that I'm not alone!

If it helps, here's a little update on our situation:

I called yesterday, 12/31. They immediately put me on the phone with a Tier 2 officer because it sounded messy. Basically what happened is this: our application, which was marked as lost by the USPS, was actually DELIVERED on December 7 (I am FURIOUS WITH THE USPS). However, it was not processed till December 21. In the meantime, since we were informed the package was 100% lost, I cancelled the check in the original package and sent a second one on December 17. This one was confirmed delivered by FedEx on December 18. However, like you, we still have not received an NOA for the second package. The Tier 2 officer told me that we will receive a second NOA when they look at that package, since the people who issue NOAs simply do data entry and aren't going to care if it's showing 2 applications--someone higher up will sort that out.

So if it reassures you, my timeline matches yours: packages delivered Dec 18 still have not been issued NOAs. I think it's a holiday backup. 

However, I will advise you: do not send another package, especially since FedEx confirmed it as delivered!!!! Because two packages have been delivered for us, the Tier 2 officer said it's going to be an absolute mess to sort out. Basically there is a hold on our application until we pay a $30 penalty because our first check bounced (since I voided it when the package was allegedly not delivered) and until we pay the full application fees (which won't be paid until they process our second package, which contains a valid check.) 

So just sit tight, I really do honestly think they haven't gotten to most packages delivered Dec 18 or later yet. What's shocking about that to me is that the VJ timeline is showing that people have gotten NOA for AOS applications that were sent after this date--my experience is that it has been much longer than the VJ timeline!

Timeline

Wow! I'm glad to hear that you haven't received NOA1 for the second package either.. Well, I'm sorry that USPS messed it up for you in the first place, but I'm happy to find another couple who has a similar waiting time as me. I was reading in the December 2018 filers sub-forum how a lot of people who sent their package after me have already gotten their NOA1s and biometrics appointments. 

So right now all you can do is pay the penalty fee and wait for them to get to package #2 to cash the check? I hope it gets resolved ASAP.

I can imagine this is very frustrating for you guys.. I can't wait to start working again and the delays are driving me crazy. The 4-6 month wait for EAD is bad enough and then they come up with all these delays on top of it 🙄

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I just hope you don't get a denial based on your first check being voided. When you talked to a tier 2, did they say they received your 2nd package? hopefully they do and end up just using your check from that so it doesn't confuse them. I hope it gets straightened out.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Timeline

Ah, now you've made me nervous @Lebanese23! 

I mean the USCIS has two packages from us, but the one with the valid check still has not been processed! The weirdest thing is the biometrics appointment based on the first package is scheduled for next week! So we still haven't paid the fees, yet they're going forward with processing it... 

As of now, we, the applicants, are the only ones ringing the alarm and trying to work this out. USCIS seems to be asleep at the wheel. 

@l-h, did you end up getting your NOA1 for the Dec 18 package or are you still waiting like us?

Timeline
1 hour ago, jtrh said:

@l-h, did you end up getting your NOA1 for the Dec 18 package or are you still waiting like us?

Still waiting 😑 going to start calling them again next week.

Fun trivia: My package was signed by J.Chyba, I googled him and there are stories dating back to 2011 with packages signed by him being delayed horribly.

Timeline
16 hours ago, jtrh said:

Ah, now you've made me nervous @Lebanese23! 

I mean the USCIS has two packages from us, but the one with the valid check still has not been processed! The weirdest thing is the biometrics appointment based on the first package is scheduled for next week! So we still haven't paid the fees, yet they're going forward with processing it... 

As of now, we, the applicants, are the only ones ringing the alarm and trying to work this out. USCIS seems to be asleep at the wheel. 

If you have biometrics that means they have received your payment. So weird that it doesn’t show on your bank statement. Wait until your biometric appt to see if anything shows up. But honestly I think they accepted it if you have an appt scheduled. 

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Timeline
23 hours ago, l-h said:

Still waiting 😑 going to start calling them again next week.

Fun trivia: My package was signed by J.Chyba, I googled him and there are stories dating back to 2011 with packages signed by him being delayed horribly.

Omg...our package was signed by the same guy on the same day!!!

And @Lebanese23, the check definitely hasn’t been processed since it was voided! My big worry is we show up at the scheduled biometrics appointment—which is 1 hour away from our house—and they make a stink about it not being paid, even though we have desperately tried to pay it but they just won’t process our second package with a valid check! 

Timeline

Update. Called USCIS today again and got through to tier 2. They said that it still doesn't show any application in the system under my name or A-number. They asked me to e-mail Chicago Lockbox to verify that they received my package. 

Timeline
17 hours ago, l-h said:

Update. Called USCIS today again and got through to tier 2. They said that it still doesn't show any application in the system under my name or A-number. They asked me to e-mail Chicago Lockbox to verify that they received my package. 

Grr!! So frustrating. We also called yesterday and got bad news. The tier 2 officer we spoke to last week apparently gave us a bunch of advice that is completely incorrect. Our first application is dead; once the check isn’t good, it’s automatically declared abandoned by USCIS, just takes some time for them to do so. Which means that all our hopes and dreams are pinned on this second package which still hasn’t been processed 22 days later 😟. The officer told us to call back next Monday since it was still within the 30 day timeframe...

i think i might email as well! Maybe if two people pester them about the Dec 18 Fed Ex delivery signed by the same dude, we’ll see some activity! Can you PM me the email address for Chicago? I don’t know what it is. 

Timeline
On 1/6/2019 at 10:23 AM, jtrh said:

Omg...our package was signed by the same guy on the same day!!!

And @Lebanese23, the check definitely hasn’t been processed since it was voided! My big worry is we show up at the scheduled biometrics appointment—which is 1 hour away from our house—and they make a stink about it not being paid, even though we have desperately tried to pay it but they just won’t process our second package with a valid check! 

You have your NOA1 right? what does your status say on the website, say? It will say fingerprint fee was received if they accepted a check.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Lebanese23 said:

You have your NOA1 right? what does your status say on the website, say? It will say fingerprint fee was received if they accepted a check.

Yes. It says that they accepted the check. However, the check was not processed because it was voided by me when I believed the package to be lost. 

I have one USCIS officer telling me it’s no problem as long as I eventually pay; another saying the application is automatically rejected if the payment doesn’t go through in the first try. No idea what to believe at this point. 

Timeline

it's a mystery but you know what banks/USCIS/USPS do make mistakes. I think the check ended up in a gray area and that is probably why it's not showing up in your statement. 

Scenario 1, 1st check was processed by USCIS.  USCIS usually rejects application with incorrect or missing payment and you will get your rejection in the mail saying why it was rejected. But you already received NOA1s from first package, so i think your first check may have went through BEFORE you voided it. USPS made the mistake saying your package was lost, which altered you to send another package.

scenario 2, USCIS saw your check and forgot to deposit, but they accepted your payment in their system? lol. that could possibly be a rookie's mistake(in training) (it could be as easy as checkmark saying "payed"

scenario 3, Bank may have made a mistake by accepting your void request, but not realizing that the check was already processed and they removed it from appearing on your statement somehow.

whichever it is, it seems to have gone through, as far as your 2nd check, God know what will happen to it. dont void it just yet. wait until you go to your bi-metric appt lol

Timeline

So today we finally got our NOA messages. EAD/AP says they did receive it Dec 18th. I-485 says they processed the fingerprint fee on Jan 8. 

What a stressful couple of months... I hope by now you have your messages too @jtrh!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.