PRC Rabbit

RFE for Initial Evidence I-485 never received.

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Our NVC to Consulate interview/US entry  was fast & easy after a10 month wait for NOA2, obtained only after seeing my Congressional Rep.  Now it seems  USCIS is going  to  torture  us a bit more. 

My  guess is that  the  I-485 RFE for Initial Evidence wants proof of relationship.   I mistakenly thought we covered that at the Consulate Interview.  I simply did not send anything  beyond marriage license.  We have lots of proof  (Life Ins, joint accounts, pics  together, etc) and the rest of our AOS package was solid.

Without the original  RFE I cannot respond. Our mailbox is plainly marked with her name and we got other Notices from USCIS. I submitted a Service Inquiry on 12-18-2018  that appears under My Cases.  An Infopass  is nearly impossible to get  in NYC.  My fear is that months of delay will require  another years worth of financial documents. Of course we spent some of our savings as we  setup up a new household and are forming a new  business.  I only need a copy of the RFE so I can reply but contacting USCIS is nearly impossible.

Any suggestions?  Is calling my Congressional Representative appropriate for this?   

When was the RFIE mailed? Did you receive a status update stating your mail was returned to USCIS?

Im kind of confused on how you know you didnt receive that hard copy of the RFIE...or that you should have received it already...

Edited by K1visaHopeful

PS I doubt your RFIE is for evidence...a photocopy of your certified MC is all that's required to prove a bonafide marriage at this point.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline

Thanks for Reply.  The USCIS My Case site reports: 

"On December 3, 2018, we mailed a request for initial evidence for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSC123456789. The request for evidence explains what we need from you. We will not take action on your case until we receive the evidence or the deadline to submit it expires. Please follow the instructions in the request for evidence. If you do not receive your request for evidence by December 18, 2018, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move ...."

I also believed  that we proved relationship at Consulate Interview and that  our  Marriage Certificate alone was enough  given  the  many documents we submitted for the I-485.  I was surprised we got the RFE.  I'm only guessing that it's relationship. The "We will not take action on your case until .....the deadline to submit it expires"  has me freaking out.  On the 15th I submitted a Service Request advising that I never got the RFE.

Edited by PRC Rabbit
reformat

10 minutes ago, PRC Rabbit said:

Thanks for Reply.  The USCIS My Case site reports: 

"On December 3, 2018, we mailed a request for initial evidence for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSC123456789. The request for evidence explains what we need from you. We will not take action on your case until we receive the evidence or the deadline to submit it expires. Please follow the instructions in the request for evidence. If you do not receive your request for evidence by December 18, 2018, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move ...."

I also believed  that we proved relationship at Consulate Interview and that  our  Marriage Certificate alone was enough  given  the  many documents we submitted for the I-485.  I was surprised we got the RFE.  I'm only guessing that it's relationship. 

The RFIE status is generic though. You wont know what they want from you until you have the hardcopy on hand. But if you sent the MC and they didnt lose it then it wont be an RFIE for evidence of marriage.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

The status update specifically says to send an e-request if nothing shows up beyond Dec 18th. Have you done that?

A congressional enquiry is irrelevant if they have told you themselves what method u need to use to contact them and remedy your own problem....

Timeline

I'm at loss about what to prepare for.  I already assembled a 'relationship package' with  pics and copies of joint accounts, etc.

Timeline

Well that's the problem, I don't know what to submit without the paper RFE.  USCIS requires  the RFE as a cover sheet for all submissions so I'm stuck.  I sent in my e-request for another copy on 12/15.

Just now, PRC Rabbit said:

I'm at loss about what to prepare for.  I already assembled a 'relationship package' with  pics and copies of joint accounts, etc.

I think you need to worry more that you haven't received the letter over what its asking you to submit. You need the letter first. Stressing about what might be on it is nonsense if you dont have a letter in the first place.

Timeline

After Jan 2 I'll try to speak to 2nd tier worker on phone I guess. I read elsewhere on VJ that they can fax a copy.

How long do I have to reply to RFE on AOS??

And I REPEAT................. UNLESS they LOST  the photocopy of your certified MC you submitted with the I485, it WON'T BE an RFIE for evidence of marriage as the only required proof of marriage at the AOS application stage is the MC. 

2 minutes ago, PRC Rabbit said:

After Jan 2 I'll try to speak to 2nd tier worker on phone I guess. I read elsewhere on VJ that they can fax a copy.

How long do I have to reply to RFE on AOS??

I think you need to follow the exact instructions of the status update:

"If you do not receive your request for evidence by December 18, 2018, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice."

The date you will have go comply by is detailed on the actual RFIE hardcopy. 

Timeline

I just realized (and then verified) that USCIS also never sent me  email notification of the RFE being mailed.  I checked "Yes" for the email notification.  I received  email notification  in August when USCIS accepted my AOS package (485, 864, etc).  So there appears to be at some irregularity in USCIS' notification of my RFE as the email was never sent too.

Timeline

How do I request a copy of the Notice?

When I try to complete Request Copy of a document not received, the drop down menu does not list the I485 or any other form I submitted.  The menu selections in the drop down box only list: I-131, N400, N565 and N600.. So I cannot complete  the questions to submission.  The only option that worked was the Report Notice not Received for which I got a SerReq#

16 minutes ago, PRC Rabbit said:

I just realized (and then verified) that USCIS also never sent me  email notification of the RFE being mailed.  I checked "Yes" for the email notification.  I received  email notification  in August when USCIS accepted my AOS package (485, 864, etc).  So there appears to be at some irregularity in USCIS' notification of my RFE as the email was never sent too.

USCIS case tracker website is notoriously glitchy. Your status does show it was mailed though so I dont see what it matters.

And you received the initial receipt notice for NOA1 because you signed up for it by submitting a G1145 with you package, not because you are signed up for status updates. That comes later.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.