DolnaM

Need help with i-130 correction

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I submitted the i-130 for my parents in February 2018. 2 separate i-130 for each. I received a letter back from the processing agency for both of my parents that I need to correct the forms because both submissions are under the same name.

However this is not the case. In my country when a woman gets married they take the full name of the husband and attach -ne to their name. So for instance if the husband is called Kispal Janos, the wife will be called Kispal Janosne. All of my mom's official documents are under this format of her married name. So no, the two applications are not under the same names. I also did include my mom's maiden name in her form, so it should be obvious it is a different person. I have been trying to get an appointment with the local agency to get a recommendation on how to resolve this but so far there has not been an opening for appointment. At this point i have less than a month to resubmit everything so i do not lose the process as well as the application fee.

Any suggestions what to do? Should i just re-submit her application with the maiden name as the primary name?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

So you have her married name as her Surname now and under the (Other names used) you have her maiden name listed).
I guess the issue is the marriage Certificate probably doesn't match the name listed. 

What country is this? Please can you put up country flag so I can move this to the countries forum so people from same country can contribute with more country specific answers. Thank you

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

I don't understand why they said it's the same name though, if one is Kispal Janos  and the other is Kispal Janosne, they are obviously different. If I were you, I would just resubmit them and write a letter explain how that is the convention in your country and they are two different people. Did you submit photocopies of their passports or ID or something? I would think that attaching a photocopy of their passports with the names clearly spelled out with pictures of them and a note "THIS IS MY DAD" and "THIS IS MY MOM" would clear thing up.

One other thing I can think of is maybe to contact the Embassy of your country. Maybe they can write something in their official letterhead explaining to USCIS this is the convention of in our country of how women change their names after marriage. Not sure how possible that is, but just a thought.

Edited by USS_Voyager

Timeline
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, dwheels76 said:

What country is this? Please can you put up country flag so I can move this to the countries forum so people from same country can contribute with more country specific answers. Thank you

This is Hungary. I added the flag.

Timeline
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, USS_Voyager said:

I don't understand why they said it's the same name though, if one is Kispal Janos  and the other is Kispal Janosne, they are obviously different. If I were you, I would just resubmit them and write a letter explain how that is the convention in your country and they are two different people. Did you submit photocopies of their passports or ID or something? I would think that attaching a photocopy of their passports with the names clearly spelled out with pictures of them and a note "THIS IS MY DAD" and "THIS IS MY MOM" would clear thing up.

One other thing I can think of is maybe to contact the Embassy of your country. Maybe they can write something in their official letterhead explaining to USCIS this is the convention of in our country of how women change their names after marriage. Not sure how possible that is, but just a thought.

Yes, they are obviously different, and on the marriage certificate the name change is indicated as well which i submitted along with its translation. My parents are sending their IDs so I will submit that as supplemental to show their name.

I do realize this similarity will be an issue in the future, however I doing a name change is unfortunately not an option.

I will try the embassy, though historically they have been less helpful.

Timeline
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:14 PM, databit said:

This will only be the beginning of major problems with her name in the US. Consider having her use an American name format which uses her first name.  

I was considering using the format - based on my original example of Kispal Janosne - of mixing her husband's family name and her first name, so it would be Kispal Rozsa. That would be the American way to do it and the most logical. The problem is that none of her official documents would reflect this name format, including her passport, wouldn't that be a discrepancy in the eyes of USCIS?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.