6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are about to file for AOS this month. My income for 2017 taxes qualifies for 125% above the poverty line and the previous 2 tax years do as well.. although there is a decrease in gross income from 2015 to 2017. Currently I am a full time student using the GI bill and working part time. I am concerned that if I have to send 6 months of pay stubs for year 2018 with an Employer letter that USCIS will say I do not meet the criteria as I have earned less this year compared to last year due to working less and attending school more. During school the GI bill paid a housing Stipend of 1481$ a month. I used this and my part time income to pay my bills effectively. Do I need a co-sponsor even though my 2017 taxes reflect 125% over? Can I send bank statements and highlight the deposits of funds from the VA education department to prove sufficient income? Or will they only count taxable income? 

Thanks for any help you folks can provide. 

10 minutes ago, Meggan P said:

We are about to file for AOS this month. My income for 2017 taxes qualifies for 125% above the poverty line and the previous 2 tax years do as well.. although there is a decrease in gross income from 2015 to 2017. Currently I am a full time student using the GI bill and working part time. I am concerned that if I have to send 6 months of pay stubs for year 2018 with an Employer letter that USCIS will say I do not meet the criteria as I have earned less this year compared to last year due to working less and attending school more. During school the GI bill paid a housing Stipend of 1481$ a month. I used this and my part time income to pay my bills effectively. Do I need a co-sponsor even though my 2017 taxes reflect 125% over? Can I send bank statements and highlight the deposits of funds from the VA education department to prove sufficient income? Or will they only count taxable income? 

Do you know what ebenefits is? 

Can you sign into that and print a statement stating your monthly stipend?

VA benefits, even though non-taxable, are still included as income and as long as you can provide evidence you can include that amount in your current income on the I864.

(I think we've talked about this before).

Timeline

I believe we have, I have access to e-benefits I could print the page that shows the months that money was deposited into my account. I probably would need to show some corresponding bank statements as well. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Meggan P said:

Did you read the form instructions? Pay stubs and employer letter are optional if they help your case. So 2017 tax return showing enough should do it. 

However, you are supposed to state your current income. That question does not say what did you make in tax year 2017. There is another section to list your tax years.  If current income  is less than 125%, then you may need a joint sponsor if you are going to be honest with them. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 12/18/2018 at 9:09 PM, Wuozopo said:

Did you read the form instructions? Pay stubs and employer letter are optional if they help your case. So 2017 tax return showing enough should do it. 

However, you are supposed to state your current income. That question does not say what did you make in tax year 2017. There is another section to list your tax years.  If current income  is less than 125%, then you may need a joint sponsor if you are going to be honest with them. 

My VA benefits plus my current income would put me well over the poverty limit upwards of 27,000 I can prove that with bank statements and ebenefits summary for the year of 2018. I will send all of this in with my tax transcript if I get an RFE i will get a family co-sponsor. My family is currently out of town (or I'd just go ahead and get the co-sponsor documents) but time is running out so I'm just going to have to hope USCIS sees that I can support us with what I am getting. It has taken so long just to get all my documents together because it took forever to get him a SSN, his name on the bills and such...its taking even longer to get him on the bank account so I can't even send that in as evidence. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, Meggan P said:

My VA benefits plus my current income would put me well over the poverty limit upwards of 27,000 I can prove that with bank statements and ebenefits summary for the year of 2018. I will send all of this in with my tax transcript if I get an RFE i will get a family co-sponsor. My family is currently out of town (or I'd just go ahead and get the co-sponsor documents) but time is running out so I'm just going to have to hope USCIS sees that I can support us with what I am getting. It has taken so long just to get all my documents together because it took forever to get him a SSN, his name on the bills and such...its taking even longer to get him on the bank account so I can't even send that in as evidence. 

That sounds like a good plan, to have the family ready as backup. Remember if you don't document your income well or provide your required tax return, they tend to RFE with a note that you don't qualify so get a joint sponsor. It may simply be a tax return was sent in without the W2, or vice-versa so they don't bother to look at your qualifications. (A transcript kinda solves that problem because it works with no additional W2).

You can file AOS without a SSN, or joint anything. You get those joint things done after filing so you can show them at interview. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.