Mrsjackson

Filing AOS in January 2019 with 2018 taxes

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

Sorry in advance if this is fairly dumb question I just feel you can’t be too sure and assumptive in this process. I plan to file my AOS in January 2019. I plan to include the 2018, 2017 and 2016 tax years. Is that okay? Am I able to include 2018 taxes in January or do I need to wait until the April cut off? I see no reason why I wouldn’t be able to and again, I’m just being extra thorough because you really never know. Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

Hello,

Sorry in advance if this is fairly dumb question I just feel you can’t be too sure and assumptive in this process. I plan to file my AOS in January 2019. I plan to include the 2018, 2017 and 2016 tax years. Is that okay? Am I able to include 2018 taxes in January or do I need to wait until the April cut off? I see no reason why I wouldn’t be able to and again, I’m just being extra thorough because you really never know. Thanks. 

If you've filed your 2018 taxes by the time you are filing AOS you CAN submit 2018 if you would like instead of 2017. It wont be REQUIRED to submit your 2018 taxes with AOS as your most recently filed taxes until after the 2018 cut off date to file 2018 taxes but you can submit them as your most recent year in lieu of 2017.

Keep in mind that all three years are OPTIONAL. Only the most recent year is required.

Also this really would only apply if you filed the last few days of January/beginning of February as you wont be able to file 2018 until then unless you file using your paystubs and amend your taxes later.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

You can’t file taxes until IRS has put out the form and you receive w-2 and other tax papers. Those normally come by the end of January. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
53 minutes ago, milimelo said:

You can’t file taxes until IRS has put out the form and you receive w-2 and other tax papers. Those normally come by the end of January. 

53 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Should have mentioned my husband is self employed. Thanks. 

Edited by Mrsjackson

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.