ScottishTom

Just completed biometrics - Whats next?? any advice on when EAD might arrive?

11 posts in this topic

Hey

So I just completed my biometrics appointment, which was the easiest and quickest part of this whole process.  (However, nothing has updated online on the case status to say I did my fingerprints? - It just says my fingerprint fee was accepted)

I know there are not set dates, but does anyone know what the next step. I guess the case is going through there background check currently.  What happens next?

Can anyone say when I might ROUGHLY expect my EAD? We're struggling a little financially with the one income, and so being able to help by bringing in a wage would help greatly!  I know there isnt one solid timeframe, but Im hoping for a rough window here in CA?

Edited by ScottishTom

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, ScottishTom said:

Hey

So I just completed my biometrics appointment, which was the easiest and quickest part of this whole process.  (However, nothing has updated online on the case status to say I did my fingerprints? - It just says my fingerprint fee was accepted)

I know there are not set dates, but does anyone know what the next step. I guess the case is going through there background check currently.  What happens next?

Can anyone say when I might ROUGHLY expect my EAD? We're struggling a little financially with the one income, and so being able to help by bringing in a wage would help greatly!  I know there isnt one solid timeframe, but Im hoping for a rough window here in CA?

4-6 months for EAD, though I haven't seen people approved in 4 months recently. More like 6+ months? 

The immigrating party can apply for jobs right now, and once they have a job offer, apply for an EAD expedite if you're struggling. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
17 minutes ago, ScottishTom said:

Hey

6+ months for EAD if you don't have a job offer to get it expedited.

But still, you're under the mercy of our USCIS overlord to expedite it or not.

You will receive the confirmation that your fingerprint has completed prolly tonight.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Tom,

I'm from the UK too! Came on K1 2 months ago exactly. I believe the EAD is currently taking anywhere from 4-6 months. Some timelines show some are unfortunate to be waiting past this! My biometrics is next week in Vegas. I don't expect my EAD until mid-end april, maybe longer. The drawbacks of the K1 is that-you don't get immediate work authorization. Every couple choosing this route knows exactly that feeling and doing the best you can on what you've got until it comes is the best you can do really. I do recall seeing someone recently saying that they got an expedite declined relatively quick as few are trying to jump through the loop hole of seeking an expedite. I personally wouldn't risk it. I too want to work ASAP! Good luck :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Also, doesn't matter where you live-all EAD's are processed through the National Benefits Centre just so you know! 

Edited by jakejon

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, jakejon said:

do recall seeing someone recently saying that they got an expedite declined relatively quick as few are trying to jump through the loop hole of seeking an expedite. I personally wouldn't risk it. I too want to work ASAP! Good luck :) 

Some people have their expedite requests rejected, usually due to insufficient reasoning, and often when they don't convey their reasoning at the time they initiate the request. But an existing job offer does the trick, especially when it's an offer that's in line with your professional/educational experience (and you can honestly say this is a great opportunity that would be detrimental to pass up).

It's not really a loophole, it's an official USCIS process, and there's no risk--if your request is rejected, that's it. Your application overall isn't affected. 

Edited by eckoin

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

On 12/13/2018 at 2:18 PM, hoangthaihuy said:

6+ months for EAD if you don't have a job offer to get it expedited.

But still, you're under the mercy of our USCIS overlord to expedite it or not.

You will receive the confirmation that your fingerprint has completed prolly tonight.

I did my biometrics a couple of weeks ago, and still have received confirmation. Is this normal? do I get an email, something in the mail etc?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 hour ago, ScottishTom said:

I did my biometrics a couple of weeks ago, and still have received confirmation. Is this normal? do I get an email, something in the mail etc?

Have you checked the status on the uscis website?

I had my biometrics done for my EAD in June 2018 and I still never got an update for my application until now.

Odd thing is, my interview for AOS came in first which was actually scheduled earlier today. I asked the officer assigned to us about my EAD application and he said it wasn't even in their system though I'm checking the status now on their website and it still says "Case Was Received", so.... at this point, who knows. The interview earlier went well, however, and he said i'll be getting my Green Card in the mail soon so I didn't really pursue the status of my EAD application since my Green Card will basically function similarly.

I hope you get yours soon without a problem though!

May 31, 2017 - POE: Seattle (B-2 Visa)

June 9, 2017 - Got married!

-

04.12.2018 - AOS packet (I-130 & I-485) sent with G-1145

04.24.2018 - Received NOA for I-130 & I-481 via txt & e-mail; Checks cashed

05.17.2018 - Biometrics Appointment (I-485)

11.13.2018 - Interview Scheduled

12.18.2018 - Interview Done @ Denver, CO Field Office : APPROVED on the spot

During the interview, I expressed my concern to the officer about my EAD/AP card and why I haven't heard anything about it 'til now. He confirms that my application for it wasn't even on their system. (Eh!!?)

I didn't ask any more about it though since he said I should be receiving my conditional GC in the mail soon and an EAD & AP would be useless at this point. ._.

12.21.2018 - 2-year Conditional Green Card received in the mail [validity: 12.18.2018 - 12.18.2020]

-

10.01.2019 - Moved to Rhode Island while husband is deployed to S.Korea

-

09.12.2020 - Changed address on USCIS website

09.14.2020 - Filed N-400 online (qualified under INA 319(b)); Called USCIS military help line to request expedite of application

09.15.2020 - Case received & application is being reviewed

09.21.2020 - Sent another request for expedite (via e-mail)

09.22.2020 - Expedite Request Approved. Received a call from Providence, RI Application Support Center: Scheduled Biometrics Appointment for 10.06.2020 & Scheduled Interview (tentatively) for 10.09.2020

09.24.2020 - Scheduled Biometrics Appointment (hard copy received)

10.02.2020 - I-751 sent with G-1145

10.06.2020 - Biometrics Appointment (N-400)

10.16.2020 - Received NOA for I-751 via txt; Credit Card charged

10.26.2020 - Received NOA , Biometrics reused

11.02.2020 - Interview scheduled for both I-751 & N-400

11.03.2020 - Interview Done @ Providence, RI Filed Office: APPROVED w/ same day Oath Ceremony - I'm officially a US Citizen! :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 1:51 PM, hoangthaihuy said:

Have you checked the status on the uscis website?

Hey, 

Yes I checked online and it still says...On date, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence, my other says, On Date, we received your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization...

Nothing mentions by biometrics taking place...

On 12/18/2018 at 2:22 PM, Pumpkin said:

I had my biometrics done for my EAD in June 2018 and I still never got an update for my application until now.

Odd thing is, my interview for AOS came in first which was actually scheduled earlier today. I asked the officer assigned to us about my EAD application and he said it wasn't even in their system though I'm checking the status now on their website and it still says "Case Was Received", so.... at this point, who knows. The interview earlier went well, however, and he said i'll be getting my Green Card in the mail soon so I didn't really pursue the status of my EAD application since my Green Card will basically function similarly.

I hope you get yours soon without a problem though!

So nothing changed after your did your biometrics? It still said they received your fingerprint fee, and your EAD application - but never changed to say they did your biometrics?

8 hours ago, ScottishTom said:

Hey, 

Yes I checked online and it still says...On date, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence, my other says, On Date, we received your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization...

Nothing mentions by biometrics taking place...

So nothing changed after your did your biometrics? It still said they received your fingerprint fee, and your EAD application - but never changed to say they did your biometrics?

Biometrics update is not reliable, for me the status was updated to show fingerprint done but for my wife it didn't. 765 went from application received to new card is being produced. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.