Texas2016

Can someone please help me??? - Divorce pending after filed I-751 and name change

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

I tried to change my name during ROC and was told I'd have to wait until I had the green card and then would have to file an I-90 to change it.

Okay, was that due to divorce as well?

I will mention it in my letter to them that I wish to change it, but if not, then I will indeed have to do the I-90, but at least I tried then, right? 🙂

K1 visa process

2016-02-07: I-129f sent;
2016-02-12: I-129f text received;
2016-04-06: (54 days): NOA2 :dancing:;
2016-04-11: NOA2 hardcopy;
2016-04-25: NVC received;
2016-04-26: Case number received;
2016-05-11: Medical Appointment at Knightsbridge medical, London;

2016-06-24: K1 interview at US embassy in London --> Approved! :dancing:;

2016-08-04: POE at Atlanta airport;
2016-08-22: Got married;

Filing for AOS, EAD and AP from K1 visa

2016-09-09: Filed for AOS;
2016-09-11: AOS package delivered at PO box in Chicago;

2016-09-19: Texts and e-mails received for AOS, EAD and AP;

2016-10-01: Received biometrics appointment notice letter - Appointment has been made for 2016-10-11;

2016-10-11: Biometrics appointment;

2016-11-03: Received approval for AP and EAD;

2016-11-18: Received EAD/AP combo card :dancing:;
2016-11-29: I-485 (AOS) approval date :dancing: ;
2016-12-03: Received I-485 approval notice letter;
2016-12-05: Received a notification that my card is mailed to me;
2016-12-07: Received my Permanent Resident card :dancing:;

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, Texas2016 said:

Okay, was that due to divorce as well?

I will mention it in my letter to them that I wish to change it, but if not, then I will indeed have to do the I-90, but at least I tried then, right? 🙂

I would definitely try. If they won't do it then at least you tried. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Texas2016 said:

Thanks for your response.

Not passing judgment huh? I think you are sir... Do you think I want to divorce?! Trust me, I thought I was going to be married with this person for the rest of my life... This is heartbreaking enough and an emotional time. I do not need to be told by someone who does not know me or my marriage that there is a perception issue. Not appreciating that comment at all.

Sorry Texas2016, but it is what it is.  The I-751 is basically an affidavit, with supporting evidence, stating that you have a sound marital relationship with your sponsor husband.  Then two months later you file for divorce.  I truly am not claiming that your relationship is a sham, because there have been times in my relationship with my wife that I really thought things would go south, but fortunately we have a stronger marriage now.  It's just the timing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, Maxheadspace said:

Sorry Texas2016, but it is what it is.  The I-751 is basically an affidavit, with supporting evidence, stating that you have a sound marital relationship with your sponsor husband.  Then two months later you file for divorce.  I truly am not claiming that your relationship is a sham, because there have been times in my relationship with my wife that I really thought things would go south, but fortunately we have a stronger marriage now.  It's just the timing.

Good for you, Maxheadspace! I am happy that your marriage is stronger now. That is not how it works for everyone though and trust me, I send a lot of proof that our marriage is as real as it gets. You cannot time a divorce, sir... Do you think there will ever be a good time to go through this hard time?! Divorce is not something I would wish on anyone, sir.

K1 visa process

2016-02-07: I-129f sent;
2016-02-12: I-129f text received;
2016-04-06: (54 days): NOA2 :dancing:;
2016-04-11: NOA2 hardcopy;
2016-04-25: NVC received;
2016-04-26: Case number received;
2016-05-11: Medical Appointment at Knightsbridge medical, London;

2016-06-24: K1 interview at US embassy in London --> Approved! :dancing:;

2016-08-04: POE at Atlanta airport;
2016-08-22: Got married;

Filing for AOS, EAD and AP from K1 visa

2016-09-09: Filed for AOS;
2016-09-11: AOS package delivered at PO box in Chicago;

2016-09-19: Texts and e-mails received for AOS, EAD and AP;

2016-10-01: Received biometrics appointment notice letter - Appointment has been made for 2016-10-11;

2016-10-11: Biometrics appointment;

2016-11-03: Received approval for AP and EAD;

2016-11-18: Received EAD/AP combo card :dancing:;
2016-11-29: I-485 (AOS) approval date :dancing: ;
2016-12-03: Received I-485 approval notice letter;
2016-12-05: Received a notification that my card is mailed to me;
2016-12-07: Received my Permanent Resident card :dancing:;

Filed: Timeline

Mollie were you switching from a joint to a waiver? 99% of the time when switching to a wavier they will let you change the name back to the maiden name. Perhaps if you don't notify them in advance and ask at the interview they may say no it's too late. 

Texas- just ignore negative responses. Some people don't realize ROC is about intent when entering the marriage and has nothing to do with whether it works out or not. Some people do know this but just don't care, they feel if it doesn't work out the immigrants should have to leave. And that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion- but the laws are clear and divorce does not mean you can't ROC nor is it considered a divorce means it wasn't bonafide.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.