Jump to content

Best possible visa for my wife to visit

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My wife from the Philippines came to the US on a k-1 visa and we got married here. We started filing the paperwork for AOS and everything related to that. I have not been enjoying my work lately so my wife encouraged me to reach out to my previous job in Japan and see about returning there to work long term, most likely for many years even possibly to retire from that position. 


In my research, I saw that if she were to stay outside of the US for more than 6 months, she would abandon the permanent residence status and would not be allowed to return.


The problem for us is that if we both want to come back to visit my family for holidays or for her to come with me to a funeral, she would not be allowed to because of abandoning the permanent residence status. Would it be possible to get another visa for her that would be multi entry that would allow her to come back to the US with me to visit when I need to?


Thanks in advance. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If she leaves without AP or GC the AOS is abandoned. 


If she were to apply for a tourist visa it would be on her own status, ties to outside the US, etc.  If you are still in the US one option is for her to get her AOS done then be in the US for the majority of the next two years.  Then she is able to come and go with the GC.



March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.