MrsLewan1218

Petition outside the US

13 posts in this topic

hey guys, after hours of research we have more questions than answers unfortunately!! So brief background.. My husband is a US citizen and have a residence permit in the UK. He has only been here for a few months and now we both have decided to move to the US. I have two kids from a previous relationship. - eldest child has his biological dads last name and on his birth certificate and the second child has my last name and without fathers details. Also, I know he has to be in the country for at least 6 months before he can file for a petition but just to plan ahead and find a way around stuffs.. my first question, can we combined our income here in the UK to meet the financial requirements since there will be 3 of us applying? Since 2017, he has only been employed for a month and not filed for tax in the US. Would that affect our applications? We have a property and joint bank account to meet the domicile requirement. Lastly, where to start?!! I'm overwhelmed with informations!!!! Could someone please break those information down? (I know I sound so thick) but US visa process sounds more complicated than spouse visa for the UK.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Start by filing once he qualifies for the six months.  You would need to remain in the UK.  Your UK income, combined or not could only be used to qualify as sponsor if it will continue from the same source once you, or he are in the US.  The way around that is for him to leave after filing and get a job in the US.  File separate petitions for each intending immigrant.  Only children under 18 at the time of marriage can immigrate based on the marriage.  Your birth certificate issues are non issues.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well DCF will be the way to go, one of our friendly Mods will move your post to the correct forum.

Children ages are important, assuming they are younger you need to sort out that you have the OK for them to migrate.

Current income can be used, just need to show that it will continue when you get to the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

20 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Start by filing once he qualifies for the six months.  You would need to remain in the UK.  Your UK income, combined or not could only be used to qualify as sponsor if it will continue from the same source once you, or he are in the US.  The way around that is for him to leave after filing and get a job in the US.  File separate petitions for each intending immigrant.  Only children under 18 at the time of marriage can immigrate based on the marriage.  Your birth certificate issues are non issues.

It’ll be difficult to prove that our income will continue once in the US as I don’t think my employer nor his will continue to pay us when we leave. How do you show that you meet the financial requirements? Do you have to provide bank statements or payslips?? My children are only 10 and 7 so I think we’re ok on that one

26 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well DCF will be the way to go, one of our friendly Mods will move your post to the correct forum.

Children ages are important, assuming they are younger you need to sort out that you have the OK for them to migrate.

Current income can be used, just need to show that it will continue when you get to the US.

Sorry thought I posted this to the right one. When you say we need to have the OK for them to migrate does that mean I have to have their biological fathers approval? I don’t have any contact with him

Timeline
2 minutes ago, MrsLewan1218 said:

It’ll be difficult to prove that our income will continue once in the US as I don’t think my employer nor his will continue to pay us when we leave. How do you show that you meet the financial requirements? Do you have to provide bank statements or payslips?? My children are only 10 and 7 so I think we’re ok on that one

They would only pay you if you were transferring to the US.  Current income is shown with pay stubs or employer letters.  Sounds like you'll need a joint sponsor, or he will need to leave after filing and get a job in the US.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

You will need the Fathers or Court approval.

Maybe a Joint Sponsor to meet the financial requirements, family or friend in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, MrsLewan1218 said:

Sorry thought I posted this to the right one. When you say we need to have the OK for them to migrate does that mean I have to have their biological fathers approval? I don’t have any contact with him

You need EITHER court ordered full custody or permission from the other parent for them to immigrate permanently to the US.  If you have already taken them from their birth country, you probably have what you need already.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

So joint sponsor - can he stay in the U.K. while the other sponsor is back in the US? Just trying not to be separated from him. How long does he have to be working with a US employer before we can submit our application? Well when we applied for his spouse visa for here, I as a sponsor had to be working with the same employer for 6 months and had to submit 6 months bank statements and pay stubs. Would that be the same for US?

Timeline

With a joint sponsor he would have to move with or before you, there is no 6 moths requirement for the US but would have to be a few pay cheques.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to DCF Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

To immigrate you need an immigrant visa, same as he needed to move to the UK.

Edited by Boiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.