AmericanCitizen85

Affidavit of Support Help

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My mother in law petitioned for her brother back in 2005 and the case is almost current.

The brother is married and has 7 kids! So my wife and I, and my sister in law are going to be joint sponsors for the petition my mother in law filed. 

Does my mother in law include the 3 of us: my wife and I and my sister in law in part 5 section 7 of I-864 for household size? My wife and I and my sister in law the other sponsor reside in the same house as my mother in law.

My mother in law would list 1 for herself

Mother in law would list 9 for persons sponsoring in this affidavit.

So would my mother in law’s total household size be 13?

Also would my wife submit I-864 as first joint sponsor and I submit I-864a?

my sister is law submits I-864 as second of 2 joint sponsors?

I know it’s really lot of information, but please someone help.

9457EE77-AC82-4FF5-AFE8-47C61DECCA00.jpeg

I think you misunderstood our situation.

my mother in law petitioned for her brother and there is a total of 9 of them. 

My wife and I reside with my mother in law. My sister in law resides with her mom as well. 

I want to know if in part 5 section 7 of I-864 if my other in law should include the 3 of us? And subsequently if she would include our income on part 6 of the form?

would my wife and sister in law file forms I-864 each and I submit I-864a??

I may have not written my post clearly so I apologize for any confusion.

Our situation is this:

My wife and I, my sister in law, and my mother in law reside in the same house. 

My mother in law petitioned for her brother. There are 9 total family members.

Since the family size is large that is immigrating, my wife is going to be joint sponsor 1 and my sister in law is going to be joint sponsor 2. 

Does my mother in law include the 3 of us (her  2 daughters and myself) in part 5 section 7 of I-864 form where it asks to list “siblings, parents, or adult children with the same principal residence who are combining their income with yours by submitting Form I-864A, enter the number here.”

Also does my wife and sister in law submit form I-864 each and I submit I-864a?

Thank you in advance!

8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

So this is your wife’s uncle being sponsored? How old are the kids?

Yes the primary beneficiary is my wife’s uncle. 

Children’s ages range from 25 to 11. The petition was pending for 6 years according to the notice my wife saw. 

Anyway about the household size on part 5 section 7? 

I’m not going to answer about the household size because frankly your situation is too confusing for me to figure out. I’m not familiar with situations where various adults of working age other than spouses live in the same residence and who gets counted as part of the household for these purposes so I was leaving that for others. I’m more wondering about things you didn’t ask, such as whether there has been thought given to the situation where the oldest child/children age out and can’t come with, or whether you all truly understand what commitment you are actually giving to sponsor so many people. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Related people can live in the same house and not be considered the same household.  

Does your MIL declare any of the three of you living with her as tax dependents on her tax return?  How old is your SIL?

3 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Related people can live in the same house and not be considered the same household.  

Does your MIL declare any of the three of you living with her as tax dependents on her tax return?  How old is your SIL?

No, she only declares herself on her tax return. My sister in law is 26. Sister in law files taxes on her own. My wife and I file taxes jointly.

Its not big deal for us to declare in same household or not. We just want to make sure we are doing it correctly so no mistakes. 

Thank you all to who read and those helping!

Timeline
55 minutes ago, AmericanCitizen85 said:

No, she only declares herself on her tax return. My sister in law is 26. Sister in law files taxes on her own. My wife and I file taxes jointly.

Its not big deal for us to declare in same household or not. We just want to make sure we are doing it correctly so no mistakes. 

Thank you all to who read and those helping!

Your MIL's household: her and 9 immigrants = 10

Your and your wife's household: 2 of you and only those immigrants you will sponsor.

Your SIL's household: her and only those immigrants she will sponsor.

It is a big deal if you can declare to be in the same household or not.  If you were in the same household, then you could combine income.  But you are 3 separate households, so you can not combine income.  The law does not allow all four of you to declare yourself as a single household to combine income.

Edited by aaron2020

3 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Your MIL's household: her and 9 immigrants = 10

Your and your wife's household: 2 of you and only those immigrants you will sponsor.

Your SIL's household: her and only those immigrants she will sponsor.

It is a big deal if you can declare to be in the same household or not.  If you were in the same household, then you could combine income.  But you are 3 separate households, so you can not combine income.  The law does not allow all four of you to declare yourself as a single household to combine income.

So on my mother in law’s I-864 she will have 10 persons in her household.

On my wife’s i-864 she will have 2 persons in household?

On my I-864 a I will have 2 persons in household?

on my sister in law’s I-864 she will only list herself in household?

on my mother in law’s I-864 she will only list her income, correct?

I sincerely appreciate your help with this!!!

Timeline
2 hours ago, AmericanCitizen85 said:

So on my mother in law’s I-864 she will have 10 persons in her household.  Yes.  Her household is 10.

On my wife’s i-864 she will have 2 persons in household?  No.  It's her, you, and however many of the 9 intending immigrants.

On my I-864 a I will have 2 persons in household?  No.  It's her, you, and however many of the 9 intending immigrants.

on my sister in law’s I-864 she will only list herself in household?  No.  It's her and however many of the remaining 9 intending immigrants that you and your wife didn't sponsor.

on my mother in law’s I-864 she will only list her income, correct?  Yes.

I sincerely appreciate your help with this!!!

For example:  You and your wife make enough to be the Joint Sponsor & Household Member for 5 of the immigrants.  So your household would be 2 + 5 = 7

Your SIL is the Joint Sponsor for the remaining 4 immigrants.  Her household would be 1 + 4 = 5.

Essentially, the two different Joint Sponsors will divide up the intending immigrants between the two of them.

Edited by aaron2020

5 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

For example:  You and your wife make enough to be the Joint Sponsor & Household Member for 5 of the immigrants.  So your household would be 2 + 5 = 7

Your SIL is the Joint Sponsor for the remaining 4 immigrants.  Her household would be 1 + 4 = 5.

Essentially, the two different Joint Sponsors will divide up the intending immigrants between the two of them.

Thank you sooo much for your help!

For the 9 immigrating family members my mother in law is not financially sponsoring any. She is on social security so not enough money.

My wife and I will be sponsoring 5 family members and my sister in law will be sponsoring 4 family members.

I have attached a screenshot of part 3 of form I-864.

Based off of above scenario, does my mother in law check “yes” in section 1 and then list off the 8 other immigrating family members?

My wife would check “yes” in section 1 and list off the 5 family members she is sponsoring?

Sister in law would check “no” in section 1 and then list off the 4 family members she is sponsoring?

3263F18B-5EEE-49B6-9061-94F14AA72E19.thumb.png.8365f6941e5f9e96c1033510c226607e.png

In part 5 section 1 of the form does my mother in law indicate “9” for the number of persons being sponsored in this affidavit??

My wife would indicate 5 persons in part 5 section 1?

My sister in law would indicate 4 persons in part 5 section 1?

E0AA043B-10AC-456E-8ACB-37418791099E.thumb.jpeg.b5997141469ae7078c65ca05b3434baa.jpeg

Edited by AmericanCitizen85
Typo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

yes,

all 3 of you have to mark yes on 3 1

each of you have had to put the beneficiary first, and then each of you will list the derivatives

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.