wryly

Any problems receiving mail from USCIS in China?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm waiting for my NOA1 receipt and I'm afraid the package won't reach me since I'm guessing they don't write the address in Chinese on the package.

Any experience with this? Do you know what company will deliver the package? Will they call me? Is there a delay due to translating the address once the package reaches China? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Here's my recent timeline for those interested:

8/3 - Adjustment of Status Interview

8/3 - Status Update: New Card is Being Produced

8/5 - Status Update: Case Was Approved

8/20 - Status Updated: Card Was Mailed To Me

8/27 - Received Card in Mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I've been impressed by the ability of Chinese mail/package delivery workers to quickly and accurately interpret different address formats.  For example, my fiancé's address doesn't appear to have a street name, or it is not used.  I've sent mail and packages to different address formats, in Chinese and in pinyin.  Both seemed to be delivered without issue.

All deliveries seem to require a phone number.  I'm not sure how much location information is corrected by phone.  I have wondered.  I should ask.

Spoiler

Prepping N-400

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 12/5/2018 at 6:29 PM, wryly said:

I'm waiting for my NOA1 receipt and I'm afraid the package won't reach me since I'm guessing they don't write the address in Chinese on the package.

Any experience with this? Do you know what company will deliver the package? Will they call me? Is there a delay due to translating the address once the package reaches China? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Chinese characters are REQUIRED on packages mailed within China. They will usually TRY to deliver a foreign parcel, but not always. Of course, the city code and your phone number are all they really need to deliver it. Allow 3 months to not-at-all for delivery.

You need a U.S. address (mail drop) to be able to receive mail in China.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 12/5/2018 at 4:29 AM, wryly said:

None of my business but why are you doing a k1 versus a spousal Visa?

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, payxibka said:

None of my business but why are you doing a k1 versus a spousal Visa?

Because I'm an idiot and thought the K1 process was faster. At this point, I assume it's too late to change.

Here's my recent timeline for those interested:

8/3 - Adjustment of Status Interview

8/3 - Status Update: New Card is Being Produced

8/5 - Status Update: Case Was Approved

8/20 - Status Updated: Card Was Mailed To Me

8/27 - Received Card in Mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
39 minutes ago, wryly said:

Because I'm an idiot and thought the K1 process was faster. At this point, I assume it's too late to change.

For stateside petitions a slight advantage but not for those fortunate enough to file outside the USA.  I am quite sure the only thing that it is too late on  is the fee.  The petition can be withdrawn.   If it  were me, I'd post the question up in the DCF forum or the spousal forum about withdrawal and a new application and see the responses from the more experienced members.   It might be as simple as submitting a withdrawal letter to uscis stateside and giving a copy of it to the uscis in Guangzhou when they intake the I130 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.