Mike & Chai

Wrong Middle Name on Marriage Cert.

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can enlighten me with this problem or i'm not really sure if it's gonna be a problem. I am a Filipina with two first names and on our marriage certificate the minister separated those two names as my first name and middle name. She didn't included my mom's surname as my middle name which is what is written on my birthcertificate. I'm not sure if it's gonna be a problem cause i know that the name format is different here in the US so i'm assuming that's why the minister did it like that. But I still wanna know if anyone have also experience this. TIA. 

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 12/2/2018 at 4:36 PM, Mike & Chai said:

Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can enlighten me with this problem or i'm not really sure if it's gonna be a problem. I am a Filipina with two first names and on our marriage certificate the minister separated those two names as my first name and middle name. She didn't included my mom's surname as my middle name which is what is written on my birthcertificate. I'm not sure if it's gonna be a problem cause i know that the name format is different here in the US so i'm assuming that's why the minister did it like that. But I still wanna know if anyone have also experience this. TIA. 

Hi, I’m also a Filipino and when I filed for a marriage license, the clerk didn’t include the middle name. 

Did you have your marriage certificate amended to add your middle name on it? 

Timeline
6 hours ago, saj2016 said:

Hi, I’m also a Filipino and when I filed for a marriage license, the clerk didn’t include the middle name. 

Hello, to answer your question, No we didn't filed anything to amend our marriage certificate. I've done research about this too and it says that they do that with everyone's name because that's the naming format here in the US especially if you have two first names. With regards to filing the AOS we were adviced that it doesn't matter if my name on our marriage cert doesn't show my middle name correctly. I can still file however I want my name to be on my gc. The marriage certificate is only used to prove that I got married to my fiancé and that I am taking his last name as my new last name. Hope this helps. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
8 hours ago, saj2016 said:

My middle name was spelled incorrectly and I had to get it corrected. I went to the courthouse in Manhattan to get it Amended. It was corrected and given back to me the same day. All you need is a $10 (money order or credit/credit card) valid ID your Bc and the marriage certificate. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, QueensNY said:

My middle name was spelled incorrectly and I had to get it corrected. I went to the courthouse in Manhattan to get it Amended. It was corrected and given back to me the same day. All you need is a $10 (money order or credit/credit card) valid ID your Bc and the marriage certificate. 

When they amended your marriage certificate, did they just put an annotation or they totally deleted the wrong middle name and issued you a new marriage certificate with the correct middle name? 

2 hours ago, Mike & Chai said:

Hello, to answer your question, No we didn't filed anything to amend our marriage certificate. I've done research about this too and it says that they do that with everyone's name because that's the naming format here in the US especially if you have two first names. With regards to filing the AOS we were adviced that it doesn't matter if my name on our marriage cert doesn't show my middle name correctly. I can still file however I want my name to be on my gc. The marriage certificate is only used to prove that I got married to my fiancé and that I am taking his last name as my new last name. Hope this helps. 

In which state did you get married? Do you have your maiden name or your married name on your marriage certificate? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, saj2016 said:

When they amended your marriage certificate, did they just put an annotation or they totally deleted the wrong middle name and issued you a new marriage certificate with the correct middle name? 

She took the old one ripped it and put it in the garbage and issued me a new one. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, saj2016 said:

In which state did you get married? Do you have your maiden name or your married name on your marriage certificate? 

We got married in California. Both my names are shown on the marriage certificate, my maiden name and on the lower part is my new name with my husband's last name. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, QueensNY said:

She took the old one ripped it and put it in the garbage and issued me a new one. 

Oh, did they change the “date recorded” too? Did they added a “date of amendment” on the marriage certificate? 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Mike & Chai said:

We got married in California. Both my names are shown on the marriage certificate, my maiden name and on the lower part is my new name with my husband's last name. 

I see. I’m not changing my name, and here in Chicago they only show the name before the marriage on the marriage certificate. I’m worried that the USCIS would think that the name on my marriage certificate isn’t me. Do you think I would have a problem with it? My i-94 and SSN also don’t have my middle name. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, saj2016 said:

I see. I’m not changing my name, and here in Chicago they only show the name before the marriage on the marriage certificate. I’m worried that the USCIS would think that the name on my marriage certificate isn’t me. Do you think I would have a problem with it? My i-94 and SSN also don’t have my middle name. 

Oh ok. I don’t know how to answe that but I got mine amended because I had to renew my passport with my married name and my passport office refused to accept it without it been amended. After it’s amended it will be printed in BIG BOLD letters AMENDED. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, QueensNY said:

Oh ok. I don’t know how to answe that but I got mine amended because I had to renew my passport with my married name and my passport office refused to accept it without it been amended. After it’s amended it will be printed in BIG BOLD letters AMENDED. 

Did you also apply for AOS? Did you have a problem because of it?

Timeline
32 minutes ago, saj2016 said:

Did you also apply for AOS? Did you have a problem because of it?

I applied for AOS (which is pending) with the Amended one. So far no problem. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, saj2016 said:

The same thing for me. Both my I-94 and SSN don't have the middle name but I don't think it'll be a problem cause when you file the AOS there's a part there where it says "other names used" and that's where you're gonna put your whole maiden name just like how it is in your Philippine passport so they can have a reference that it's really you on the mc, ssn and I-94 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.