wantmybaby

Apply dual citizenship and Ph passport expired

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, I know questions are asked about dual citizenship quite a bit.  But, I have some specifics I can't easily find.  My wife became a US citizen 3 years ago, and her Philippines passport also expired at about that time too.  We want to get her dual citizenship established so that she doesn't have any trouble owning property (we could be acquiring some farm land from her family).  Does the Philippines passport matter at all with this and that it is expired?  Would we need to renew that too, and in what order (or same time)?  Her name also changed so her Philippines passport has her old/Philippines/pre-married name, so I'm not sure how that affects this or if her renewed passport should be getting her new/married name.  Oh, and we didn't bother to report the marriage in the Philippines... we were going to, but looked up the details and were like "wow this is excessively complex and annoying, plus a trip to NYC" so we didn't bother.  

What would be the correct way to proceed, preferably with as little or no travel to the consulate in NYC as possible since it is 6+ hours away, and my anxiety level goes up exponentially with proximity to NYC, not to mention we would both have to use a vacation day.  (We don't have days to spare next year as we're making a trip back to the Philippines which will use most of them up.) 

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, wantmybaby said:

Hi, I know questions are asked about dual citizenship quite a bit.  But, I have some specifics I can't easily find.  My wife became a US citizen 3 years ago, and her Philippines passport also expired at about that time too.  We want to get her dual citizenship established so that she doesn't have any trouble owning property (we could be acquiring some farm land from her family).  Does the Philippines passport matter at all with this and that it is expired?  Would we need to renew that too, and in what order (or same time)?  Her name also changed so her Philippines passport has her old/Philippines/pre-married name, so I'm not sure how that affects this or if her renewed passport should be getting her new/married name.  Oh, and we didn't bother to report the marriage in the Philippines... we were going to, but looked up the details and were like "wow this is excessively complex and annoying, plus a trip to NYC" so we didn't bother.  

What would be the correct way to proceed, preferably with as little or no travel to the consulate in NYC as possible since it is 6+ hours away, and my anxiety level goes up exponentially with proximity to NYC, not to mention we would both have to use a vacation day.  (We don't have days to spare next year as we're making a trip back to the Philippines which will use most of them up.) 

Thanks!

The Philippine passport became invalid the moment your wife took the oath for U.S. citizenship.   (only citizens of a country can be issued a passport)  To acquire a Philippine passport now your wife will have to complete dual citizenship.

ROM is easy, you complete the forms, provided the requested documents and mail it to the consulate .. no trip.  If your wife wants her new passport in her married name ROM will have to be completed.

As for acquiring dual citizenship and a new passport that will require a trip to the consulate or attend an outreach event near you.  

Former Filipino citizens can own land, just a restricted amount. 

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
6 hours ago, Hank_ said:

The Philippine passport became invalid the moment your wife took the oath for U.S. citizenship.   (only citizens of a country can be issued a passport)  To acquire a Philippine passport now your wife will have to complete dual citizenship.

ROM is easy, you complete the forms, provided the requested documents and mail it to the consulate .. no trip.  If your wife wants her new passport in her married name ROM will have to be completed.

As for acquiring dual citizenship and a new passport that will require a trip to the consulate or attend an outreach event near you.  

Former Filipino citizens can own land, just a restricted amount. 

Awesome, thanks!  So, when you say former Filipino citizens can own land, you're referring to those who have not filed for dual citizenship?  Is the restriction removed if she's a dual citizen?  (The amount of land is large, like 250 acres.)

43 minutes ago, wantmybaby said:

Awesome, thanks!  So, when you say former Filipino citizens can own land, you're referring to those who have not filed for dual citizenship?  Is the restriction removed if she's a dual citizen?  (The amount of land is large, like 250 acres.)

I do believe there is a restriction for Filipinos that have acquired another citizenship but are not dual citizens yet. The limit is 5000sm for rural land. 

There is no limitations for actual dual citizens.

https://kittelsoncarpo.com/property-ownership/

Timeline
4 hours ago, wantmybaby said:

For your situation dual citizenship will be necessary.

Yes a former filipino is your wife if she is not a dual citizen.   the limitations are easy enough to look up.

A dual citizen is a citizen of the Philippines, citizens can own all the land they can afford.  ;)  

http://www.philippine-embassy.de/bln/images/PTIC/Land acquisition-OFWs.070605.doc

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 3 months later...
Timeline

With the ROM done, now it's time for us to get her dual citizenship taken care of as well as get a new Philippines passport.  I'm wondering which approach would work best, as I don't know how long doing it by mail versus going in person takes, and whether in person visits can get it all done the same day.

1. Collect all the documents and the 9225 forms, bring to the consulate in NYC... do I understand correctly they can take the papers and do the oath taking that same day?  Or, do we submit the papers then would have to come back at some later date?  If the latter, then we might as well just do it by mail so we only need one trip.

2. Do it by mail, then wait for oath taking appointment.  One detail I haven't been able to find yet is how long it takes after that for the oath taking appointment.

3. Do it at an outreach event (which requires an appointment).  I see there is one in Needham, MA 2 months from now.  And just over a month from now, in Albany... that's not much closer to NYC but I hate driving/parking in NYC so I would actually prefer driving to Albany.  But, same questions here as for visiting NYC -- is application and oath taking all at once that same day?

And, the passport... can that be applied for in person at the same outreach event, or consulate visit?  Or, would she separately apply for the passport after the oath taking is all said and done and we are back home?

Timeline
2 hours ago, wantmybaby said:

With the ROM done, now it's time for us to get her dual citizenship taken care of as well as get a new Philippines passport.  I'm wondering which approach would work best, as I don't know how long doing it by mail versus going in person takes, and whether in person visits can get it all done the same day.

1. Collect all the documents and the 9225 forms, bring to the consulate in NYC... do I understand correctly they can take the papers and do the oath taking that same day?  Or, do we submit the papers then would have to come back at some later date?  If the latter, then we might as well just do it by mail so we only need one trip.

2. Do it by mail, then wait for oath taking appointment.  One detail I haven't been able to find yet is how long it takes after that for the oath taking appointment.

3. Do it at an outreach event (which requires an appointment).  I see there is one in Needham, MA 2 months from now.  And just over a month from now, in Albany... that's not much closer to NYC but I hate driving/parking in NYC so I would actually prefer driving to Albany.  But, same questions here as for visiting NYC -- is application and oath taking all at once that same day?

And, the passport... can that be applied for in person at the same outreach event, or consulate visit?  Or, would she separately apply for the passport after the oath taking is all said and done and we are back home?

You can mail in the forms for dual citizenship and the passport to get things started.

The oath taking must be completed first, as she can't complete the application for a passport without being a citizen.

Both should be able to be handled at one visit, my wife completed both during the same visit.

You can go to the consulate or an outreach event.     

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

So, literally on the same day, she turned in the application for the dual citizenship, did the oath taking later that day, then yet later that day applied for the passport (which I would assume is then mailed to you)?

Timeline
11 hours ago, wantmybaby said:

So, literally on the same day, she turned in the application for the dual citizenship, did the oath taking later that day, then yet later that day applied for the passport (which I would assume is then mailed to you)?

Yes.   sort of.

You get the application for citizenship sent to the consulate earlier, then you schedule an appointment for oath taking, allowing adequate time that day between each for completing the passport application.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 2 months later...
Timeline

We successfully completed the dual citizenship this past Saturday at the Philippine consulate outreach in Needham, MA.  It was pretty straight-forward.  First, we emailed an application for an outreach appointment, plus all the documents that will require, to the email address they give for that.  When they were able to, they then sent the appointment time, which was 10am to 11am.  We brought all the original documents and copies, plus the passport photos and the $50 cash.

We got there early (9am) and it was already busy, with them already processing stuff for whoever's early.  They were selling Filipino food in the back, which was nice.  There was a special line for dual citizenship, which we were in for maybe 45 minutes before being done.  Then, we waited around about 2 hours until they swear in everyone they had processed so far, around lunchtime.  In the end, there's 3 pages stapled together, all notarized.  I guess you'd need all 3 if traveling with them?  Kind of annoying, so a passport will come in handy.

They were well prepared, with copy machines, stuff to take passport photos, etc.  Far more efficient than something like the DMV.  :-)

It looks like we could have done a walk-in passport application afterwards, but she was tired and it was very busy there by then, so we're like it's no rush anyway, let's do that at the next outreach.  Manchester NH has one in July, so that should work great.

Edited by wantmybaby

Timeline
7 hours ago, wantmybaby said:

We successfully completed the dual citizenship this past Saturday at the Philippine consulate outreach in Needham, MA.  It was pretty straight-forward.  First, we emailed an application for an outreach appointment, plus all the documents that will require, to the email address they give for that.  When they were able to, they then sent the appointment time, which was 10am to 11am.  We brought all the original documents and copies, plus the passport photos and the $50 cash.

We got there early (9am) and it was already busy, with them already processing stuff for whoever's early.  They were selling Filipino food in the back, which was nice.  There was a special line for dual citizenship, which we were in for maybe 45 minutes before being done.  Then, we waited around about 2 hours until they swear in everyone they had processed so far, around lunchtime.  In the end, there's 3 pages stapled together, all notarized.  I guess you'd need all 3 if traveling with them?  Kind of annoying, so a passport will come in handy.

They were well prepared, with copy machines, stuff to take passport photos, etc.  Far more efficient than something like the DMV.  🙂

It looks like we could have done a walk-in passport application afterwards, but she was tired and it was very busy there by then, so we're like it's no rush anyway, let's do that at the next outreach.  Manchester NH has one in July, so that should work great.

Ya you could have completed the passport application at the same time.            An outreach event is crazy busy, when we were there they started processing a bunch of people who didn't have appts, making us wait .. annoying.

You should get a certificate for dual citizenship, my wife did... eventually).

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yep. My wife applied for her dual citizenship and did the passport application at the same time. Her sister did the same for herself and her daughter at the outreach.

Product-500.jpg

phsmall.gif

Vermont Service Center

I-129F Sent : 05-07-08

I-129F NOA1 : 05-15-08

Touched : 06-26-08

NOA2 : 08/29/08

ApprovaL NVC sent:09/01/08

Arrived @ NCV :09/03/08

called NVC 09/04/08 received case #*

NOA2 hard copy in mail Sept. 6, 2008

LetteR from NVC: Sept. 8, 2008

Left NVC : Sept. 24, 2008 > Arrived Sept. 29th

Medical Oct. : 7/13/2008 passed!

Interview date: Oct. 20,2008 7am ***APPROVED***

Visa delivery : Oct. 23,2008

Arrival in USA : oCt. 29 ,2008 POE Houston, Tx.

Life is good !!

<

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.