craigybear

L1 with pending AOS filed - traveling for Xmas. What should I take with me for getting back in?

3 posts in this topic

Hi... first post! Be kind?

I am in the US on an L1 visa. Recently (NOA1 11/21) submitted AOS, AP, EAD

My USC spouse and I are travelling abroad over the Christmas period. Have been advised by lawyer this is ok due to L1 status. Advised technically no requirement for AP but better to be safe etc. Agree?

My hope/expectation is that upon my return to the US in January I will proceed to the Global Entry (UK passport) booths and proceed as usual. I am never asked to present anything by officials when handing over my GE receipt. With the possibility things wont be so easy the next time due to pending AOS, what should I have with me?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by craigybear

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I’m not familiar with L-1 visa, but what I know is that once you submitted your AOS that you can’t travel abroad unless you have your AP. and leaving without an AP is abandoning your AOS application.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

that's not true for L1 and H1B, we are allowed to travel during the AOS process without the AP as long as we come back in the same visa status with the same employer. I would bring the same documentation you brought to get in in the L1 visa status the first time, to be safe. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.