DivineAngel

Mailing or permanent address determines naturalization interview location?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guinea
Timeline
5 hours ago, DivineAngel said:

Hi Everyone, what determines the naturalization biometrics and interview location on N400? The mailing or permanent address? Thanks! 

From my experience your physical address does (e.g. I believe 'permanent address' in your case). They may accidentally schedule your interview near your mailing address, but you can pretty much do the bio-metrics anywhere. Most of the rest depends on the physical address.

Citizenship Journey:

(Month 1)-   N-400 sent: 12/20/17

(Month 2)-   Fingerprints: 01/11/18

(Month 8)-   Interview: 07/30/18

(Month 9)-   Oath Ceremony: 08/23/18

Officially a U.S. Citizen!

5 hours ago, gnakr said:

From my experience your physical address does (e.g. I believe 'permanent address' in your case). They may accidentally schedule your interview near your mailing address, but you can pretty much do the bio-metrics anywhere. Most of the rest depends on the physical address.

Thanks a bunch! So do I get to select which location I do the biometrics at? My impression was that USCIS selects the date AND location for us and informs us about it via mail. 

Or do I have to reschedule it if I need to do another location say by my mailing address vs. the originally picked physical address by USCIS (possibly delaying my case)? 

Timeline
16 hours ago, DivineAngel said:

Thanks a bunch! So do I get to select which location I do the biometrics at? My impression was that USCIS selects the date AND location for us and informs us about it via mail. 

Or do I have to reschedule it if I need to do another location say by my mailing address vs. the originally picked physical address by USCIS (possibly delaying my case)? 

USCIS picks the location/time etc... In my experience USCIS will typically allow you to do your biometrics anywhere/anytime, as long as you have the appointment letter and green card. Some offices may not allow you to do so at busy times, but if you come at a relatively slow day you'll typically be allowed to. Interviews and other stuff on the other hand, have to be done at the designated location/time/place.

Citizenship Journey:

6 hours ago, gnakr said:

USCIS picks the location/time etc... In my experience USCIS will typically allow you to do your biometrics anywhere/anytime, as long as you have the appointment letter and green card. Some offices may not allow you to do so at busy times, but if you come at a relatively slow day you'll typically be allowed to. Interviews and other stuff on the other hand, have to be done at the designated location/time/place.

Thank you! So no matter where USCIS sends you for biometrics you can decide otherwise? How does that work exactly? 

Timeline
3 hours ago, DivineAngel said:

Thank you! So no matter where USCIS sends you for biometrics you can decide otherwise? How does that work exactly? 

It isn't so much that you're allowed to decide otherwise, it's more of they typically don't care where you do your bio-metrics as long as you are able to do it. Some USCIS offices outside of your original jurisdiction may even refuse to do the biometric, but from what I have seen they typically allow you especially when you go during non-busy times, and let them know why you are unable to do it at the original location. Unlike interviewing/oath, presumably your bio-metrics letter is visible to almost any USCIS location. Interview on the other hand requires your entire file etc... and you are typically assigned to a very specific person.

Citizenship Journey:

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2018 at 3:52 AM, gnakr said:

It isn't so much that you're allowed to decide otherwise, it's more of they typically don't care where you do your bio-metrics as long as you are able to do it. Some USCIS offices outside of your original jurisdiction may even refuse to do the biometric, but from what I have seen they typically allow you especially when you go during non-busy times, and let them know why you are unable to do it at the original location. Unlike interviewing/oath, presumably your bio-metrics letter is visible to almost any USCIS location. Interview on the other hand requires your entire file etc... and you are typically assigned to a very specific person.

Thanks a bunch! Happy new year! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.