robhostein

Estimated time 12 months

5 posts in this topic

So I just filed my N400 a couple days ago and it just updated with the estimated time. It's 12 months. Considering the processing times of my field office is 4 to 6 months, is that normal? I mean wow.

Maybe it's cause I have a criminal record? And a previous name change?

10-year green card received: 2004-02-01

N-400 Filed Online:  2018-11-28

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 2018-12-20

N-400 Notice of Interview: 2019-01-04

N-400 Interview Appointment: 2019-02-21

N-400 Application Approved: 2019-02-21

N-400 Notice of Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-11

N-400 Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

To me, 12 months does not sound unrealistic these days...  My N400 was just shy of that - if you have a common name, or have been around for a while, or if something else causes the background check to go long, it will take even longer.  My understanding is that there are more applicants than before, and everything is being scrutinized a bit more.

The processing time in your filed office is one guideline, but that does not mean that they will have it within a short timeframe.

Also, bear in mind that the estimate is just that - an estimate.  It may be longer or shorter than that.  I would suggest looking at the topics here for N400 filers, searching for ones that match your field office, and comparing times and estimates to try to get a better idea of how long it will take. 

However, keep in mind once again that until your field office receives the paperwork, they can't do anything to it.  If it sits in a background check/other processing elsewhere, their timelines may mean nothing.  On the other hand, my field office was extremely quick in getting through my paperwork once they got it, probably because it was "beyond normal processing times" already by the time they got it.  From them receiving it and my oath was under 2 months, with Christmas and New Year's in between...

K

1 hour ago, robhostein said:

So I just filed my N400 a couple days ago and it just updated with the estimated time. It's 12 months. Considering the processing times of my field office is 4 to 6 months, is that normal? I mean wow.

Maybe it's cause I have a criminal record? And a previous name change?

A year for naturalization is neither surprising nor unheard of. We are hearing the same from people who are going through the same even without a name change or criminal record.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Well, I'm looking through the timelines of the members here on VJ.  They all seem pretty fast for my field office, which is Cincinnati. Especially the latest 4 members, who had filed theirs around last thanksgiving and christmas. 5 months for them. Another claimed 3 months.

10-year green card received: 2004-02-01

N-400 Filed Online:  2018-11-28

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 2018-12-20

N-400 Notice of Interview: 2019-01-04

N-400 Interview Appointment: 2019-02-21

N-400 Application Approved: 2019-02-21

N-400 Notice of Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-11

N-400 Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-18

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.