Jump to content
feromon85

Possible problem with IR-1 application.

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello,
Long story short, was married to USC in 2008, she died on the day of interview... 3 weeks after that I left the country, never came back.. Few months later her daughter informed me that I was in removal proceedings, ( I left, handed out I-90 arrival/departure white card at the airport, hope it is enough)   I was surprised,  thinking  case will close right after I leave the US. Now, 10 years later  my US wife and I are thinking of applying for IR-1 visas. Is it worth it to try? Am I eligible for the benefit? We live in EU low fraud country.

thanks ahead.

Frank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, feromon85 said:

Now, 10 years later  my US wife and I are thinking of applying for IR-1 visas. Is it worth it to try? Am I eligible for the benefit?

Have you consulted with a competent immigration attorney?

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, feromon85 said:

Hello,
Long story short, was married to USC in 2008, she died on the day of interview... 3 weeks after that I left the country, never came back.. Few months later her daughter informed me that I was in removal proceedings, ( I left, handed out I-90 arrival/departure white card at the airport, hope it is enough)   I was surprised,  thinking  case will close right after I leave the US. Now, 10 years later  my US wife and I are thinking of applying for IR-1 visas. Is it worth it to try? Am I eligible for the benefit? We live in EU low fraud country.

thanks ahead.

Frank

When you say you left the country you mean you left your country & entered the US? If so then, Yes you should consult with a competent attorney because technically since the death occurred day of interview/before you traveled to the US this should’ve been reported to the embassy. As soon as you were made aware that the petitioner passed away, I think the visa is void. I can imagine you probably went for personal/emotional purposes but depending on if you stayed longer than the 90 days then you might have a ban/Barr. Other VJ members can correct me if I’m wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gsdc23 said:

When you say you left the country you mean you left your country & entered the US?

46 minutes ago, feromon85 said:

she died on the day of interview

@feromon85, which type of interview? Adjusment of Status? IR-1?


Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say you left the country you mean you left your country & entered the US?

13 minutes ago, TM92 said:

@feromon85, which type of interview? Adjusment of Status? IR-1?

Yes adjustment of status. So I am now 10years out of US....

Edited by feromon85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, feromon85 said:

When you say you left the country you mean you left your country & entered the US?

Yes adjustment of status. So I am now 10years out of US....

So you attended the AOS interview, but then left the US 3 weeks later after your wife died? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You still have proof that you left then? Maybe entry stamp of next country you went to? I think it should probably be ok. You clearly had no intent to stay unauthorized and don’t seem to have stayed longer than needed to deal with the unfortunate events. Maybe talking to an attorney as someone suggested is also prudent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×