HawaiiLove

Submit proof that you have resided in the State of New Jersey listed on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, as your home address for at least three months prior to filing the form.

6 posts in this topic

I hope you guys can help me. I filed my n400 in Hawaii this March 2018 but I moved in New Jersey this June 2018. I passed my n400 interview last week but they sent me a letter stating that I need to "Submit proof that you have resided in the State of New Jersey listed on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, as your home address for at least three months prior to filing the form." I'm confused on what documents can I send to them. Can you please give me an examples and what date it's supposed to be since I filed in Hawaii but they're asking for New Jersey address.. PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guinea
Timeline
2 hours ago, HawaiiLove said:

I hope you guys can help me. I filed my n400 in Hawaii this March 2018 but I moved in New Jersey this June 2018. I passed my n400 interview last week but they sent me a letter stating that I need to "Submit proof that you have resided in the State of New Jersey listed on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, as your home address for at least three months prior to filing the form." I'm confused on what documents can I send to them. Can you please give me an examples and what date it's supposed to be since I filed in Hawaii but they're asking for New Jersey address.. PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

Where did you do your interview? New Jersey? How was the case transferred there? Was it after you did a change-of-address on your application? Or through other means

Citizenship Journey:

(Month 1)-   N-400 sent: 12/20/17

(Month 2)-   Fingerprints: 01/11/18

(Month 8)-   Interview: 07/30/18

(Month 9)-   Oath Ceremony: 08/23/18

Officially a U.S. Citizen!

1 hour ago, gnakr said:

Where did you do your interview? New Jersey? How was the case transferred there? Was it after you did a change-of-address on your application? Or through other means

Yes, I passed the interview in New Jersey last week, I filed an AR-11 Change of Address on June 2018. I'm worried what kind of documents do they need. Because it says New Jersey address prior to the filing. But the Officer was aware that I filed it in Hawaii March 2018. 

14 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Drivers license, utility bills, lease,  mail sent to your address is what I’d send them. 

My New Jersey address right? I'm honestly worried that it says at least 3 months prior to filing the form because I filed the form in Hawaii March 2018. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guinea
Timeline
2 hours ago, HawaiiLove said:

Yes, I passed the interview in New Jersey last week, I filed an AR-11 Change of Address on June 2018. I'm worried what kind of documents do they need. Because it says New Jersey address prior to the filing. But the Officer was aware that I filed it in Hawaii March 2018. 

I'm no expert, but I think it might have been a mistake by them. I have had a family member be sent an RFE for something that did not apply to her, she just sent back a cover letter explaining why I does not apply to her, as well as documents which would be relevant.

If it were me I would submit a cover letter along the lines of: "I was told to submit blah blah with respect to my N-400 application of case number:XXXXXX but it seems that a mistake was made. As discussed during the interview I filled my N-400 while residing in Hawaii (which is why I had an Hawaii address whiling submitting the form), but ended up having to move to New Jersey after submit. I filled a change of address when I moved, which is presumably why my case was transferred to the NJ field office. From my understanding I only needed to have resided for 3+ months in Hawaii (as opposed to New Jersey) while filling. blah blah blah". Attach the proof of change of address, as well any document proving a residence of 3 months (5+ if possible) in Hawaii prior to filling (e.g. utility bills, bank/credit card statements (even electronic ones) etc...), as well as documents showing that current residence in New Jersey (e.g. a NJ driver's license, bills etc...). This is all assuming that the "current address" listed on your N-400 form while submitting was a Hawaii address.

Citizenship Journey:

(Month 1)-   N-400 sent: 12/20/17

(Month 2)-   Fingerprints: 01/11/18

(Month 8)-   Interview: 07/30/18

(Month 9)-   Oath Ceremony: 08/23/18

Officially a U.S. Citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.