SBUK

I-129F Application form, Expiry date.

16 posts in this topic

Good afternoon all, just a quick question. My fiancé and I are ready to begin our K1 Application process, we have all of the supporting evidence we need to attach to the application form. However, I've downloaded multiple application forms and each of them say that the date of expiry is 08/31/2018, is this an issue? What else can I try to get a recent date? 

Thanks in advance for your help!
Stewart

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

its fine.

there has not been a new one issued

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Are you both still living in the U.K.? If so you are absolutely crazy to be doing the K-1. Get married and file a spouse visa through DCF. Much faster, much cheaper and huge benefits such as being a green card holder immediately upon arrival. 

I can’t see any advantage to the K-1 for U.K. folks these days (it used to be a lot faster than a spousal visa but even that’s not the case anymore) but even less so when the couple lives together. Why subject yourself to several months having no real status, not being able to work or travel out of the country, in some states not even being able to drive, when you have the easiest path of all?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Just now, JFH said:

Are you both still living in the U.K.? If so you are absolutely crazy to be doing the K-1. Get married and file a spouse visa through DCF. Much faster, much cheaper and huge benefits such as being a green card holder immediately upon arrival. 

I can’t see any advantage to the K-1 for U.K. folks these days (it used to be a lot faster than a spousal visa but even that’s not the case anymore) but even less so when the couple lives together. Why subject yourself to several months having no real status, not being able to work or travel out of the country, in some states not even being able to drive, when you have the easiest path of all?

Yes we're both still living in The U.K, however, I think our problem lies with the fact that my fiancé is in The U.K on a student visa, so even though she is a resident now, its temporary as it expires next October. If I'm wrong, please tell me! lol 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
2 minutes ago, SBUK said:

she is a resident now, its temporary as it expires next October.

With DCF the CR-1 can very likely be done before October. DCF info: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/united-kingdom-uscis-london-field-office "Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative" tab

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

1 minute ago, TM92 said:

With DCF the CR-1 can very likely be done before October. DCF info: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/united-kingdom-uscis-london-field-office "Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative" tab

We're getting married in September. I've not really given the DCF any time or though as I did a bit of reading into it a little while ago and thought that my partners residency wasn't valid to obtain that kind of visa. Could you elaborate what kind of Visa it is and how and why I should be able to obtain one?

Thanks in advance. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, SBUK said:

Could you elaborate what kind of Visa it is and how and why I should be able to obtain one?

DCF, or Direct Consular Filing, is not a visa. It's filing the I-130 petition directly with the USCIS London office, thus avoiding the way slower US-based USCIS offices everyone else has to go through. DCF is not an option for K-1. DCF is the best option for CR-1.

13 minutes ago, SBUK said:

We're getting married in September.

If your goal is a US marriage, a K-1 is not needed if you qualify for the Visa Waiver Program. You visit the US with VWP, then you marry. Then you leave the US and wait for the CR-1 visa:

Edited by TM92

30 minutes ago, SBUK said:

Yes we're both still living in The U.K, however, I think our problem lies with the fact that my fiancé is in The U.K on a student visa, so even though she is a resident now, its temporary as it expires next October. If I'm wrong, please tell me! lol 

A student visa is acceptable for DCF. She doesn’t even have to remain in the U.K. for the duration. She just needs to be living in the U.K. when you file. 

If you’re wanting to get married in September a K-1 is risky. It’s taking 10 months or more now to process and timelines are always unpredictable and subject to change. 

If I were you, I’d have a small, legal ceremony ASAP and start the CR-1 by DCF. You’ll have the visa before the summer is done. You can then travel to the USA next summer when it suits you, be a green card holder immediately, and have your big wedding celebration in September.

I’d have given my right arm to be in your position. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

10 minutes ago, TM92 said:

DCF, or Direct Consular Filing, is not a visa. It's filing the I-130 petition directly with the USCIS London office, thus avoiding the way slower US-based USCIS offices everyone else has to go through. DCF is not an option for K-1. DCF is the best option for CR-1.

If your goal is a US marriage, a K-1 is not needed if you qualify for the Visa Waiver Program. You visit the US with VWP, then you marry. Then you leave the US and wait for the CR-1 visa:

Thanks for clearing that up. At this point, I think we may have left it too late to apply for the CR1, like I said before we're getting married in September, the USCIS says that I should start the process at least 10 months before wanting to travel, but we're planning on heading to The U.S in June/July. Obviously nothing is set in stone, and I'm already preparing to not be able to work for several months upon arrival in the U.S, 7-8 months for the K1 sounds more doable than 7-8 months for the CR1? 

Again, thank you so much for your help and information. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SBUK said:

7-8 months for the K1 sounds more doable than 7-8 months for the CR1? 

With DCF 3-4 months is average for the CR-1: https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/government-agencies/dhs/uscis/i130filing-html/

Edited by TM92

1 minute ago, TM92 said:

Not gonna lie, I'm a little overwhelmed with all of this and struggling to wrap my head around it at the moment lol. So from filing the I-130f form for the CR1 being approved is, on average, 3 months? Then what happens after that? 

Timeline
Just now, SBUK said:

Then what happens after that?

After getting the CR-1 visa you enter the US. Upon US entry you are a Lawful Permanent Resident. You have no restrictions, unlike K-1 visa holders.

9 minutes ago, TM92 said:

After getting the CR-1 visa you enter the US. Upon US entry you are a Lawful Permanent Resident. You have no restrictions, unlike K-1 visa holders.

Also, I just copied and pasted this from the link you sent me:

Planning Ahead:

U.S. citizens who plan on filing the Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) for their foreign spouse/child(ren)/parent to obtain an immigrant visa to relocate to the United States should file the petition at least ten months prior to the date of the planned relocation.

Accurate? 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, SBUK said:

Is there a time frame from when the visa is issued that I would have to travel to the U.S? 

Generally, the visa expires 6 months after the medical exam (medical done couple weeks before the CR-1 interview).

14 minutes ago, SBUK said:

should file the petition at least ten months prior to the date of the planned relocation.

That is a very conservative timeframe to account for any unforeseen circumstances (e.g. prolonged Administrative Processing (AP); odds are prolonged AP will not apply to you).

Edited by TM92

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.