Raiden30

Listed as B-2 in SS System

6 posts in this topic

Our social security adventure so far:

- Entered USA around 10:30am Monday. 

- Went to 1st social security office around noon Tuesday and the clerk said that nothing can be done before 10 business days after entry into the country. She was extremely adamant that absolutely nothing can happen inside this 10 business day period. I told her that my understanding was the 2 week waiting period was outdated since the I-94 form is now electronic and my fiancee should be in the SAVE system almost immediately. She said my information was incorrect and that nothing can be done; she listed some policy from Oct 2017. She was about the rudest person I've ever spoken to which is about par for SS offices apparently.

- Went to 2nd SS office around 2pm Tuesday and the clerk found my fiancee in the system but said that her status was listed as B-2. She previously had a B-2 visa and traveled to the USA with that visa in May of this year, so it kind of makes sense. However her most recent I-94 form (which we had printed out) listed her class of admission as K1 and her most recent entry date as Monday. He recommended coming back another day. 

- Went back to 2nd SS office around 10am today (Wednesday) and the clerk said she was still listed as B-2 in the system. The clerk really wanted to send an application to DHS for verification which she said would take 30 days. I asked her not to do this (as recommended on some posts here) and told her that we would just check back later to see if her status is updated as K1 in the system. She basically told us that we were wasting our time and that we might as well just start the 30 day clock now. She did admit that it could get updated in the system sometime in the next 2 weeks but she didn't seem to expect it to. 

So, any advice? Maybe we just went to the office too early (24-48 hours after entry). Although I have read on some recent posts that people have gone this early and were found in the system okay. We just want to get married and start the AOS process as soon as possible. 

Is there any reason we couldn't just get married (and change her name) but apply for the SSN with her maiden name that is on the visa? I have read over and over on this site to get the SSN before marriage for various reasons. But couldn't you just apply for the SSN with the maiden name anyway? Her passport and I-94 form are in her maiden name obviously. 

Thanks,

Matt

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

you dont need SS # to get married. you can change the name later. now, later, dealing with social security is a pain in the rear, regardless

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

22 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

you dont need SS # to get married. you can change the name later. now, later, dealing with social security is a pain in the rear, regardless

Thanks for the reply. I know she doesnt need a SSN to get married. We were just following the advice of everyone on this site to get the number before marriage since (if you're changing the name) it can be difficult to get the SSN after marriage and then you have to wait until after AOS/green card. 

34 minutes ago, Raiden30 said:

Thanks for the reply. I know she doesnt need a SSN to get married. We were just following the advice of everyone on this site to get the number before marriage since (if you're changing the name) it can be difficult to get the SSN after marriage and then you have to wait until after AOS/green card. 

Then wait until next week to go back and try again. If that still doesn't fix it then try the 30 day option.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 12:29 PM, Raiden30 said:

Hi,

Were you able to get this corrected? I am in the same situation. I am on L1 now but SAVE system shows B2 from my previous visit. This is when applying for SS# and License one month after entering as L1.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:45 PM, SANDY23 said:

Hi,

Were you able to get this corrected? I am in the same situation. I am on L1 now but SAVE system shows B2 from my previous visit. This is when applying for SS# and License one month after entering as L1.

She went back the following Thursday (10 days after entry) and applied for her social security number without any issues. She was showing as K1 in the system at this point. I'm glad that we did not let the clerk send her application to DHS for verification as this would have taken 30 days. However in your case, considering that it's already been over a month, I would guess that you will have to take this step to be verified by DHS. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.