JMCKNG

SSN @ 6 weeks now, sending in AOS

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

HI All-

This topic has been hit or miss but we requested my husband's SSN 10 days after his arrival on a K-1. We are now at 7 weeks and have not received anything. We have gone to the SSA Office twice and same generic response "we can't give you a timeframe, it's with homeland security, we don't know what's causing the delay" blah blah. I don't want to duplicate or overlap requests but we are going to be sending out AOS this week and it seems as if it would have benefited us more to just check the box of requesting it within the Application. Any experiences or advice? 

K1 Journey from Spain to USA :wub:
10-25-2017 I-129F Sent to Lewisville
10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NOA2 :jest:
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Interview Scheduled
XX-XX-XXXX POE :whistle:
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

You can send out AOS before getting the SSN. My husband's SSN card came about a week after we sent AOS. He is currently working with his EAD card and that SS card. No issues.

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

I'll also add that having his SSN card, even before he worked, helped out with so much so it is a great idea to apply for one first like you did. It helped him with health insurance, going to college, and getting a credit card. All of this was done much more easily before EAD because he had that number.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I applied for SSN 2 days upon POE and didnt receive it until 2 months later.

After I filed my AOS package(it's almost a month since I applied for SSN), I called SSA and they said since I have a pending AOS case, they couldn't issue me SSN bla bla...

However I still got my SSN a month after the call ( 2 months after SSN application, one month after AOS application). That being said, DHS will still verify your identity even you have filed AOS and once verification is done, result will be returned to SSA HD in MD and they will issue you SSN.

My suggestion is go ahead file AOS and wait for SSN arriving in mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.