KWJ

Time to replace a soon-to-expire passport?

3 posts in this topic

Hi! As mentioned in the topic title, I would like to know what is the best time to replace the passport. I know it is still early for below questions, hope someone could help me to answer it.

Some info for your reference:

My fiance filed I-129F for me last month. I expected to have an K1 Visa interview in Jul/Aug 2019. My passport will be expired by Mar 2020 (there are only few empty pages left on it, which means I could replace a new passport at any time from now). I will go to US 1.5 or 2 months after my visa is approved. I want to replace it as late as possible. What is the best time? Before I fill in DS-160 form? Before the interview? Before my departure?

I have another question regarding USC's birth certificate. When my fiance filed the petition, he provided his passport as supporting document. At the moment, he did not request a birth certificate from the place where he was born (A city in US). In any stage of K1 visa or AOS, he needs to submit original birth certificate (a copy or certified copy).

Thank you so much. :) 

Spoiler

K1 Visa

NOA1

24OCT2018: I-129F mailed

29OCT2018: I-129F delivered

05NOV2018: Text message received

09NOV2018:  NOA1 hardcopy in mail

03NOV2018:  NOA1 date

NOA2 

xxXXX2019:  NOA2

NOA2→NVC→Consulate

xxXXX2019:  Packet received

At Consulate 

xxXXX2019:  Interview

xxXXX2019:  Visa got √

event.png

22 minutes ago, KW&RO said:

Hi! As mentioned in the topic title, I would like to know what is the best time to replace the passport. I know it is still early for below questions, hope someone could help me to answer it.

Some info for your reference:

My fiance filed I-129F for me last month. I expected to have an K1 Visa interview in Jul/Aug 2019. My passport will be expired by Mar 2020 (there are only few empty pages left on it, which means I could replace a new passport at any time from now). I will go to US 1.5 or 2 months after my visa is approved. I want to replace it as late as possible. What is the best time? Before I fill in DS-160 form? Before the interview? Before my departure?

I have another question regarding USC's birth certificate. When my fiance filed the petition, he provided his passport as supporting document. At the moment, he did not request a birth certificate from the place where he was born (A city in US). In any stage of K1 visa or AOS, he needs to submit original birth certificate (a copy or certified copy).

Thank you so much. :) 

i will renew mine before filling in DS-160, so thats what ill suggest.

petitioner's bc will be needed at some point of  k1 interview and/or during AOS, some members says you need to bring petitioners orignal bc, some says just a copy,

so either way just be prepared to have both original and copy.

i would renew it definitely before the interview, at that point they can update the info

Always have an original birth certificate (obtain several copies) and copies for use. Some have been asked for it, others have not. Have it and be ready, either way.

5/7/2018 K1       Application mailed

5/9/2018             Application rec'd and signed for (sent via fedex)

5/14/2018          NOA1 Email notification

5/18/2018          NOA1 Paper copy rec'd (i797C)

11/5/2018          NOA2 ❤️ no RFE's

11/19/2018        NVC Received file

12/13/2018        Consulate received/ ready to schedule interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.