KWJ

Time to replace a soon-to-expire passport?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi! As mentioned in the topic title, I would like to know what is the best time to replace the passport. I know it is still early for below questions, hope someone could help me to answer it.

Some info for your reference:

My fiance filed I-129F for me last month. I expected to have an K1 Visa interview in Jul/Aug 2019. My passport will be expired by Mar 2020 (there are only few empty pages left on it, which means I could replace a new passport at any time from now). I will go to US 1.5 or 2 months after my visa is approved. I want to replace it as late as possible. What is the best time? Before I fill in DS-160 form? Before the interview? Before my departure?

I have another question regarding USC's birth certificate. When my fiance filed the petition, he provided his passport as supporting document. At the moment, he did not request a birth certificate from the place where he was born (A city in US). In any stage of K1 visa or AOS, he needs to submit original birth certificate (a copy or certified copy).

Thank you so much. :) 

Spoiler

ROC

2023.02.13 - Application Sent

2023.02.15 - Received by USCIS

2023.02.17 - Notification Received by Text Message

2023.02.22 - 48 Month Extension Letter Received

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
22 minutes ago, KW&RO said:

Hi! As mentioned in the topic title, I would like to know what is the best time to replace the passport. I know it is still early for below questions, hope someone could help me to answer it.

Some info for your reference:

My fiance filed I-129F for me last month. I expected to have an K1 Visa interview in Jul/Aug 2019. My passport will be expired by Mar 2020 (there are only few empty pages left on it, which means I could replace a new passport at any time from now). I will go to US 1.5 or 2 months after my visa is approved. I want to replace it as late as possible. What is the best time? Before I fill in DS-160 form? Before the interview? Before my departure?

I have another question regarding USC's birth certificate. When my fiance filed the petition, he provided his passport as supporting document. At the moment, he did not request a birth certificate from the place where he was born (A city in US). In any stage of K1 visa or AOS, he needs to submit original birth certificate (a copy or certified copy).

Thank you so much. :) 

i will renew mine before filling in DS-160, so thats what ill suggest.

petitioner's bc will be needed at some point of  k1 interview and/or during AOS, some members says you need to bring petitioners orignal bc, some says just a copy,

so either way just be prepared to have both original and copy.

(L)Our Timeline(L)

2015 Nov 03 - met online app (Skout)

2016 Jan 18 - became couple officially

2017 Sep 15 - met for the first time in person (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 03 - met for the 2nd time (USA to Singapore - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 08 - got engaged 

2018 Sep 01 - met for the 3rd time (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2019 May 31 - 4th meeting :goofy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K1 Visa Timeline:

2018 Aug 22 - I129f sent (DIY)

2018 Aug 29 - NOA1

worries before approval:

1) submitted 1 statement/letter of intent both signed by the pet/ben

2) petitioner's accidentally/stupidly committed DWI after i129f submission

2019 Jan 16 - NOA2 (140 days from Noa1 - No RFE)

2019 Feb 06 - case received by NVC (21 days from Noa2)

2019 Feb 08 - case number received

2019 Feb 19 - left NVC

2019 Feb 25 - case received by SG consulate

2019 Feb 28 - Packet 3 received

2019 Mar 04 - Packet 3 sent back to SG consulate

2019 Mar 07 - Packet 4 received (interview schedule)

2019 Mar 12 - Medical (additional vaccine on 19 Mar)

2019 Mar 27 - Interview (221g, medical results pending)

2019 Mar 27 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 27 - Clinic sent medical results to Embassy

2019 Mar 28 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 29 - Application Received

2019 Apr 01 - Issued

2019 Apr 04 - VOH

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i would renew it definitely before the interview, at that point they can update the info

Always have an original birth certificate (obtain several copies) and copies for use. Some have been asked for it, others have not. Have it and be ready, either way.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.