5 posts in this topic

I recently completed AOS from F-1 STEM OPT status to permanent resident through marriage with a US citizen. I finished the interview and I received my green card.

I still have my STEM OPT EAT, which will expire in 2020, Green Card EAD from AOS I-765, and green card. Since the green card is the most powerful card among the three, I believe the first two EADs aren't necessary anymore.

I called my school's international office and asked what I need to do now and they seemed a bit uncertain about what process needs to be taken now because they haven't seen many students who switched their status from F1 STEM OPT to Permanent resident. They just told me to send them a completed I-983 (Training plan for Stem OPT Students) with the final evaluation, and the copy of front and back of the green card.

Does anyone know if this is enough? Do I have to do something about this status change, and does my int'l office have to do something? like terminating SEVIS? I understand it is the int'l office's job to take care of this, but I would like some opinions on here since my DSO sounded very uncertain...

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

@Lisa88
In my case, I recently received EAD on my pending AOS. The day I received it, I updated my employer first and then sent an email to my school about it. I told them that I will no longer use the STEM OPT EAD and since I applied for AOS, my status will be pending AOS. I asked them to update my SAVIS record accordingly. They responded back requesting a scanned copy of the new EAD and that's it. I didn't have to do any final evaluation of I-983, they didn't ask for it.

A friend of mine also did AOS from F1 and received Green Card. He told me that he didn't even notify anything to school. So it seems that it doesn't really matter but I personally feel that one should at least notify school about the change of status to be in the safe side. 

Also, I think it's necessary to be careful using these documents wisely. By that I mean, one should use the latest document constantly in everywhere and not use the previous ones anymore. Using 2 different documents for example OPT EAD and GC EAD at the same time can (probably will) get you into trouble. Since you received GC, I would recommend you to use only this in every aspect and not use the EAD's.

Hope that helps.

Edited by AhsanTX

June 28, 2018         : AOS Package Sent

July 02, 2018          : AOS Package delivered at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

July 10, 2018          : Received USCIS e-notification for AOS package reception

July 14, 2018          : Received hardcopies of all 3 NOA1s by mail

July 20, 2018          : Received Biometric Appointment Notice by mail || Appointment date: August 3, 2018

July 25, 2018          : Biometrics done in Lubbock, TX - Early Walk-In successful!

July 31, 2018          : Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview

August 2, 2018       : I-130 petition approved (received e-notification)

August 6, 2018       : Received I-130 approval notice (NOA2) by mail 

October 25, 2018   : I-765 approved (received e-notification _ New Card Is Being Produced)

October 28, 2018   : Received I-765 & I-131 approval notice by mail

November 1, 2018 : Received EAD Combo Card by mail

July 03, 2019          : An Interview was scheduled

July 11, 2019          : Received Interview Notice by mail

August 8, 2019       : Attended AOS interview and got approved

August 12, 2019     : Received AOS approval notice by mail

August 15, 2019     : Received Green Card by mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Notifying the school or not doesn't really matter. Once you enter AOS, it's beyond the school's control.

The one thing to point out, is if you, say, want keep your F1 status so you can be in-status, but being on F1 visa also means you have no intention of immigrate, which in turn contradicts the purpose of AOS.

School's officers were trained to give you safe answers, or "scripted". They are just as helpful as whatever written on USCIS website.

Thank you. Then, what will happen to SEVIS if you do not notify your school? If you were on F1 and working under OPT, or STEM OPT, and did AOS, you are still on SEVIS, right?

Does this automatically terminate at the expiration of OPT EAD Card? Don't you have to do anything about it when your status becomes pending for AOS?

Pending AOS is not a status.

Filing for AOS does not change your existing status.

A pending AOS grants authorized stay while the case is pending, which applies whether somebody is in status already or not.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.