ayazk

Renewing Passport Before Interview

10 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi all,

I think this question has been asked before, but I haven't found a clear cut answer on what to do. 

My wife has her interview in Montreal on Nov 27, 2018. Her passport expires April 2019. I know this is less than the 6 month mark, so I'm not entirely sure how to handle this situation. Do I renew her passport and take both to the interview? Do I have to update any forms? Any other considerations I need to keep in mind?

I'm usually on top of things, and had her passport renewal in mind for quite some time. However, we had some hiccups in our case which elongated the process more than I had anticipated. 

Thank you all for your help!

10 minutes ago, ayazk said:

Hi all,

I think this question has been asked before, but I haven't found a clear cut answer on what to do. 

My wife has her interview in Montreal on Nov 27, 2018. Her passport expires April 2019. I know this is less than the 6 month mark, so I'm not entirely sure how to handle this situation. Do I renew her passport and take both to the interview? Do I have to update any forms? Any other considerations I need to keep in mind?

I'm usually on top of things, and had her passport renewal in mind for quite some time. However, we had some hiccups in our case which elongated the process more than I had anticipated. 

If she renewed it now, would she be able to get it back before the 27th? I would get this done ASAP and expedite the passport if possible to have before her interview, based on what it says in the Pre-Interview Checklist provided by the US Consulate in Montreal:

It states in the Pre-Interview Checklist: Unexpired passport valid for 6 months beyond your intended date of entry into the United States.

Removing Conditions timeline:

• I-90 accidentally submitted - 2020-08-14
  • I-751 submitted & received - 2021-03-26
  • Biometrics applied to case - 2021-04-21
  • Ready to schedule interview - 2021-12-22
  • Interview scheduled - 2022-01-04
  • Interview - 2022-02-01 / Postponed
  • New 10 year card being sent out!!!!
    2022-02-03 / Case Approved 2022-02-04

Timeline
14 minutes ago, arellah said:

If she renewed it now, would she be able to get it back before the 27th? I would get this done ASAP and expedite the passport if possible to have before her interview, based on what it says in the Pre-Interview Checklist provided by the US Consulate in Montreal:

It states in the Pre-Interview Checklist: Unexpired passport valid for 6 months beyond your intended date of entry into the United States.

there is an expedite option which I don't mind paying for. I think my real question is how do i deal with montreal/nvc after renewal

Just now, ayazk said:

Hi all,

The embassy would not issue a visa if it will expiry in less than 6 months. If passport is renewed you can take both passport to the interview.

Edited by Ann&James
Mistake

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ann&James said:

The embassy would not issue a visa if it will expiry in less than 6 months. If passport is renewed you can take both passport to the interview.

I'm sorry for being redundant, but I just want to make sure, are there any other steps I need to take after renewing? 

Thank you :)

1 hour ago, ayazk said:

there is an expedite option which I don't mind paying for. I think my real question is how do i deal with montreal/nvc after renewal

I would bring both! If they approved her current passport especially, on the CEAC site for CR1 (Not sure if you are doing CR1 or K1).

Either way, its a legal document and you're renewing it so you can give them proper information when she goes for the interview. I don't have personal experience with this situation, but I can't see it being a problem at all! Just bring both :) (and if you want to be super sure, you could give them a call or send out an email to the Consulate!) Good luck!

Removing Conditions timeline:

• I-90 accidentally submitted - 2020-08-14
  • I-751 submitted & received - 2021-03-26
  • Biometrics applied to case - 2021-04-21
  • Ready to schedule interview - 2021-12-22
  • Interview scheduled - 2022-01-04
  • Interview - 2022-02-01 / Postponed
  • New 10 year card being sent out!!!!
    2022-02-03 / Case Approved 2022-02-04

Timeline
16 minutes ago, arellah said:

I would bring both! If they approved her current passport especially, on the CEAC site for CR1 (Not sure if you are doing CR1 or K1).

Either way, its a legal document and you're renewing it so you can give them proper information when she goes for the interview. I don't have personal experience with this situation, but I can't see it being a problem at all! Just bring both :) (and if you want to be super sure, you could give them a call or send out an email to the Consulate!) Good luck!

I appreciate your help! I'm going to give Montreal a call and see what they say :)

Just now, ayazk said:

I'm sorry for being redundant, but I just want to make sure, are there any other steps I need to take after renewing? 

Thank you :)

After filling my ds-260 and before my interview  I got a new passport and took both the new and old passport to the interview. I also took all the previous passport that had vistors visa in them and it wasn't a problem as a matter of fact nothing was even asked about it.

Timeline
On 11/7/2018 at 11:12 AM, Ann&James said:

After filling my ds-260 and before my interview  I got a new passport and took both the new and old passport to the interview. I also took all the previous passport that had vistors visa in them and it wasn't a problem as a matter of fact nothing was even asked about it.

Thank you! That's good to know

On 11/7/2018 at 11:46 AM, ayazk said:

I appreciate your help! I'm going to give Montreal a call and see what they say :)

Montreal only accepts email inquiries for visas.

The above poster is correct. There is nothing for your wife to do but take both passports (suggest renewing for 10 years btw) and let the CO and document checker know.  Its really a non-issue. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.