uluslarci

how long can we delay the application at NVC stage?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello all,

Our application is at NVC right now. We got our NOA2 in April 2018. We have neither paid any fee nor uploaded any document since we got our NOA2. I've two questions.

1. It looks like we might not be able to proceed with the application another year until November-December 2019. Can we simply just wait until then before we pay the fees and upload the documents? It will be more than a year since we got our NOA2 from NVC. Is it a problem?

2. This is sort of irrelevant. My wife cannot be my sponsor since we are living outside of the US. She will be looking for jobs for domicile purposes but still won't be able to provide tax documents since we've been living abroad. Her parents will be my sponsor but when I click on the "pay fees" on the system, I just see my wife's name and 120$ to pay. Should we contact NVC to add her parents to the system? How does it work? Or should we just have them fill out the documents and upload them without paying extra?

Thank you so much

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

your wife has to pay the $120 within a year or the case will be closed. Regardless of income she must submit an i864 as the primary sponsor, her parents can be joint sponsor and household member between them.  so they only submit the forms to your wife, with all the financial proof and proof of citizenship or being al resident, and your wife will submit all the forms and documentation together with her i864. if she doesn't have any income at the time, she must submit a letter explaining why she hasn't filed taxes, even if she lives abroad

Timeline
On 11/1/2018 at 1:52 PM, aleful said:

hi

your wife has to pay the $120 within a year or the case will be closed. Regardless of income she must submit an i864 as the primary sponsor, her parents can be joint sponsor and household member between them.  so they only submit the forms to your wife, with all the financial proof and proof of citizenship or being al resident, and your wife will submit all the forms and documentation together with her i864. if she doesn't have any income at the time, she must submit a letter explaining why she hasn't filed taxes, even if she lives abroad

Thank you so much.

So if we just pay $120 and submit all documents along with I-864, we won't need to pay $325 and complete DS-260 as long as we want? Is that true? If that is true, then I assume we will also need to update the affidavit of support documents when I go to the interview sometime later, won't we?

Timeline
9 hours ago, aleful said:

hi

no, within a year, not whenever you want, after a year immigration will close the case and deemed as abandoned

Hello,

Thank you so much for your help and answers. But I am a little bit confused so I want to make sure I understand you correctly. So what you suggest is that we should submit i864, the documents related to it, and $120 within a year. But is this enough to keep the case active more than a year? What about DS-260? Are we supposed to submit it along with its payment within a year, too? 

I am sorry for taking your time over and over. I just don't want to make a mistake. We are gonna make our plans depending on this situation.  If it is enough to send i864 and pay $120 within a year, we will do this and wait for submitting DS-260 another year. 

I really appreciate your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

you can stretch the process little by little 

you can pay the $120 and you don't have to send the i864 right away, as long as you send it within a year. then you can wait a few more months and pay the $325 and within the year send the civil documents. as long as immigration hears from you before a year has passed, you can drag the process 

but don't let a year or more pass without doing anything

Timeline

Oh probably now I see what you mean. I should pay the $120 and send the i864 within a year. I can pay the $325 and send the civil documents another year. So I can stretch the process, say, 2 years. The point is not passing a whole year without doing anything.

Thank you so much!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, uluslarci said:

Oh probably now I see what you mean. I should pay the $120 and send the i864 within a year. I can pay the $325 and send the civil documents another year. So I can stretch the process, say, 2 years. The point is not passing a whole year without doing anything.

Thank you so much!

Correct.  Don't go a year without doing anything.  However, your affidavit of support and police report(s) must be current for the interview.  To avoid sending them twice, why not just start by delaying the agent of choice, then pay the $120 fee.  When you are ready to proceed (within a year of paying the first fee) just do all the rest in a short period of time.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
22 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Correct.  Don't go a year without doing anything.  However, your affidavit of support and police report(s) must be current for the interview.  To avoid sending them twice, why not just start by delaying the agent of choice, then pay the $120 fee.  When you are ready to proceed (within a year of paying the first fee) just do all the rest in a short period of time.

Thank you so much for your answer.

Since I have not proceeded with the application, I am not sure what exactly "the agent of choice" means. The only action we took since we got the NOA2 was to login ceac.gov because the letter said we were supposed to log in within a year. When we log in on ceac.gov, I don't see any option like "the agent of choice" but I can only pay the fees as the first step. I've been looking at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/after-petition-approved/step-1-choose-an-agent.html  The agent of choice looks like kind of the first step although I am not sure where it is. Is that true? In this case, you actually suggest us that we should not start the process with the NVC until we are ready? I feel like I am missing something.

More specifically speaking, I got NOA2 from NVC in April 2018. Is it ok for us just to wait without paying anything or without submitting any document, say, until August 2019? When you say "don't go without doing anything within a year", is only logging in counted as an action that keeps us good for a year? Or should we just pay $120 and wait without doing anything further like submitting documents until we are ready? Possibly I am asking some silly questions but I do not have a full command over the application process yet.

Long story short, we plan to go back to the US in July 2020. I am trying to figure out a time schedule for us to make things work smoothly.

Thank you! 

Timeline

I'm suggesting you do step one https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/after-petition-approved/step-1-choose-an-agent.html and pay the first fee.  Although there is no hurry to pay that fee.  Pay it maybe in six or eight months.  Then proceed normally starting around December of 2019.  Get the visa no sooner than March.  It's good for six months.  July, 2020 will fall in the validity period of the visa.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
21 hours ago, pushbrk said:

I'm suggesting you do step one https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/after-petition-approved/step-1-choose-an-agent.html and pay the first fee.  Although there is no hurry to pay that fee.  Pay it maybe in six or eight months.  Then proceed normally starting around December of 2019.  Get the visa no sooner than March.  It's good for six months.  July, 2020 will fall in the validity period of the visa.

Thank you so much! This sounds like a plan for our situation. I am still only confused about "choose an agent" part. I see it on the mainpage ceac.state.gov but when I logged in by clicking on it, it directly takes me to the "summary information" page and the only clickable thing is "pay now". I cannot click on any other thing, thus I do not see an option to choose an agent. 

Timeline
On 11/5/2018 at 2:22 PM, uluslarci said:

Thank you so much! This sounds like a plan for our situation. I am still only confused about "choose an agent" part. I see it on the mainpage ceac.state.gov but when I logged in by clicking on it, it directly takes me to the "summary information" page and the only clickable thing is "pay now". I cannot click on any other thing, thus I do not see an option to choose an agent. 

What happens or changes when you click on "pay now"?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
6 hours ago, pushbrk said:

What happens or changes when you click on "pay now"?

It just takes me to a page where I am supposed to select AOS fee and IV fee. When I click on AOS fee and click on "pay selected fees", it takes me to a payment page where I am supposed to write the bank account or credit card whatsoever to pay the fee. No signs of "choose an agent" or something like it.

Timeline
6 hours ago, uluslarci said:

It just takes me to a page where I am supposed to select AOS fee and IV fee. When I click on AOS fee and click on "pay selected fees", it takes me to a payment page where I am supposed to write the bank account or credit card whatsoever to pay the fee. No signs of "choose an agent" or something like it.

Then it won't hurt to pay the fee as your first item of business.  No hurry on that.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
On 11/10/2018 at 4:01 AM, pushbrk said:

Then it won't hurt to pay the fee as your first item of business.  No hurry on that.

Thank you so much for your help. And I assume I will see the "choose an agent" thing after the payment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.