Katri

Status between applying and notice

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline

Hello!

So we sent our AOS papers almost 2 weeks ago, we haven’t heard anything back from the USCIS. My visa expires on Tuesday (6th November) so what’s my status now? 😁 And how do I prove my legal status?

8 minutes ago, Katri said:

Hello!

So we sent our AOS papers almost 2 weeks ago, we haven’t heard anything back from the USCIS. My visa expires on Tuesday (6th November) so what’s my status now? 😁 And how do I prove my legal status?

Right now? Your K1 Visa and your marriage certificate. As soon as you get your NOA1 you should carry a copy of that with a copy of your K1 Visa.

2 minutes ago, Katri said:

Hello!

As soon as you submit you AOS and get NOA1 from USCIS your status is kinda like a limbo or frozen. Obviously you can’t leave the US or you abandon your AOS so you can stay here while it’s pending without issue. But at the same time you aren’t a LPR yet.

I would reccomend calling USCIS if you don’t receive NOA1 about a month after you submitted AOS. Just to make sure it didn’t bounce back. You can also check you bank account to see if the check for the filing fee has been taken out of your account (they tend to do that quickly 😂).

It’s definitely usually recommended to submit AOS well before your visa expires but as long as you did it before it does you should be fine. 

To prove your legal status now you would need your passport with the visa in it and I-94 as well as your NOA1 from USCIS proving you did submit it before your visa expired. You’ll also want your marriage license. It’s important that even if you travel domestically you have these documents with you. If you ever get stopped by CBP at an airport for example (unlikely but not impossible) you’ll have these documents to show them you are able to be here. They would still probably want to look it up though but those documents would help.

i hope this helps!

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline
22 minutes ago, K & R said:

As soon as you submit you AOS and get NOA1 from USCIS your status is kinda like a limbo or frozen. Obviously you can’t leave the US or you abandon your AOS so you can stay here while it’s pending without issue. But at the same time you aren’t a LPR yet.

I would reccomend calling USCIS if you don’t receive NOA1 about a month after you submitted AOS. Just to make sure it didn’t bounce back. You can also check you bank account to see if the check for the filing fee has been taken out of your account (they tend to do that quickly 😂).

It’s definitely usually recommended to submit AOS well before your visa expires but as long as you did it before it does you should be fine. 

To prove your legal status now you would need your passport with the visa in it and I-94 as well as your NOA1 from USCIS proving you did submit it before your visa expired. You’ll also want your marriage license. It’s important that even if you travel domestically you have these documents with you. If you ever get stopped by CBP at an airport for example (unlikely but not impossible) you’ll have these documents to show them you are able to be here. They would still probably want to look it up though but those documents would help.

i hope this helps!

Yes, I understand that I can show my status when I get the notification but my problem is this time between.... They did took my money like the next day 😂 But it’s okay to show visa and marriage certificate to show the status in this between time? And any ideas why is it taking so much time to get the notification? Maybe RFE coming? 😅

15 minutes ago, Katri said:

Yes, I understand that I can show my status when I get the notification but my problem is this time between.... They did took my money like the next day 😂 But it’s okay to show visa and marriage certificate to show the status in this between time? And any ideas why is it taking so much time to get the notification? Maybe RFE coming? 😅

The fact that they took the money should be a good sign that it is processing and NOA1 should be arriving soon.

use your passport with the expired  visa and your marriage license for now. Your NOA1 should arrive shortly. You shouldn’t really have anything that you would need to prove you status anyway (unless you got stopped by a CBP for some reason). Give it another week or two and then call to see why you haven’t gotten NOA1 ☺️ Also if you haven’t already, sign up for USPS informed delivery. It will email you pictures of your mail before it arrives so you can see when NOA1 is arriving. You’ll be fine ☺️ 

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.