DFG

How to declare upon entry?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

green card was approved today :) when it is eventually returned to me and I cross over to the USA, I will only be bringing my personal clothing (including footwear, outerwear, etc.) with me. I plan on just loading some containers and was wondering if I have to do anything special for customs or when they ask, can I just say clothing and let them look through my containers?  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I wrote $0 on the form. Had two fully packed (vacuum bagged) suitcases with clothing and personal items. Had no issues, they didn't even look at my bags. First time I arrived on VWP they scanned my bag after I picked it up from the carousel. This time the customs agent just looked at the form and waived me thru... Not sure if because of the K1 or just didn't want to bother with the full suitcases....

Be sure if you bringing any new clothing with you or any other new items, remove the sealed packaging and tags and stuff like that, so even if you are stopped nobody will think that you are going to sell them here and force you to pay tax on them

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Timeline
Just now, ineedadisplayname said:

I wrote $0 on the form. Had two fully packed (vacuum bagged) suitcases with clothing and personal items. Had no issues, they didn't even look at my bags. First time I arrived on VWP they scanned my bag after I picked it up from the carousel. This time the customs agent just looked at the form and waived me thru... Not sure if because of the K1 or just didn't want to bother with the full suitcases....

Be sure if you bringing any new clothing with you or any other new items, remove the sealed packaging and tags and stuff like that, so even if you are stopped nobody will think that you are going to sell them here....

Thanks for the info but what form are you talking about? I’ll be driving into the USA. Is there a form I have to fill out before I head over?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
Just now, DFG said:

Thanks for the info but what form are you talking about? I’ll be driving into the USA. Is there a form I have to fill out before I head over?

Ohh not sure then...I might missed that from your initial question.... I arrived by plane. The stewardesses distribute customs declaration forms to every passenger....

It looks like this https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP Form 6059B English (Sample Watermark).pdf

You might not need that if you are coming from Canada and driving. Hopefully somebody has more experience driving from Canada....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I arrived by plane, but the CBP told me directly "Most used personal goods are duty free" (I made a written inquiry before traveling). Also, to my surprise, in Atlanta they don't even use declaration forms anymore. I asked a worker there where I could get one because the stewardess' didn't distribute them, and she just told me "We don't do those stupid things anymore". And sure enough, CBP never asked for it, nor did they ask us anything about what we had with us. Just sharing my experience, of course, every POE and every officer is different.

If asked, just tell them what you've got and let them look if they want. "Clothes and other personal belongings" is fine. If they want more info, they can ask more questions.

If youre driving what we recommend is to make a basic list of what is the containers contents.

For me I didnt mix items together so I had:

Box 1 - books

Box 2 -kitchen

Box 3 - shoes

But you could go into more detail like:

Box 1 - clothes, shoes, hangers

Box 2 - books, office supplies, paper

Etc..

Keep the list with you. 

They didnt even look at mine but they do look at others.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

On 10/29/2018 at 3:44 PM, DFG said:

Hey everyone,

green card was approved today :) when it is eventually returned to me and I cross over to the USA, I will only be bringing my personal clothing (including footwear, outerwear, etc.) with me. I plan on just loading some containers and was wondering if I have to do anything special for customs or when they ask, can I just say clothing and let them look through my containers?  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!

Did you get your passport back ?

Timeline
Just now, Bezasimon said:

Did you get your passport back ?

Yes! I had a friend pick it up for me in Montreal and courier it to me. I crossed over this past Saturday.

9 minutes ago, DFG said:

Yes! I had a friend pick it up for me in Montreal and courier it to me. I crossed over this past Saturday.

9 minutes ago, DFG said:

Had my interview on October 29 ,did they sent email to pick from consulate or from post office ?i mean from where did you pick up your passport ? 

Edited by Bezasimon

Timeline
Just now, Bezasimon said:

Had my interview on October 29 ,did they sent email to pick from consulate or from post office ?

I had my interview on that day too. They gave me both options: Canada post or pick up from consultate. I left my contact information and they said they would contact me when it was ready and I could decide how I wanted to retrieve it. Got an email on October 30th saying I could pick it or have a friend pick it up from consulate or I could wait for Canada post. I have friends in Montreal so I opted for the pick up from consulate option 

2 minutes ago, DFG said:

I had my interview on that day too. They gave me both options: Canada post or pick up from consultate. I left my contact information and they said they would contact me when it was ready and I could decide how I wanted to retrieve it. Got an email on October 30th saying I could pick it or have a friend pick it up from consulate or I could wait for Canada post. I have friends in Montreal so I opted for the pick up from consulate option 

Ohh ok ,they didn’t give me any option on interview date ,but I had gone on Wednesday there to ask about my passport the lady at window 5 she took my contact and email and she told me that she will contact me as the passport ready but I didn’t hear anything from them I don’t know what to do I came from Calgary almost 3 weeks here 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Bezasimon said:

Ohh ok ,they didn’t give me any option on interview date ,but I had gone on Wednesday there to ask about my passport the lady at window 5 she took my contact and email and she told me that she will contact me as the passport ready but I didn’t hear anything from them I don’t know what to do I came from Calgary almost 3 weeks here 

I would just keep showing up or calling them everyday until you get your passport.

20 minutes ago, DFG said:

I would just keep showing up or calling them everyday until you get your passport.

Thank you for the info !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.