nybpc

Walk in biometrics doesn’t seem to matter.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Well at least for us, it didn’t matter. 

My wife and I applied online, at the same time (5 minutes apart). I did biometrics 5 weeks before her, as a walk-in. She had to reschedule hers due to travel. 

9 months later, we just got scheduled for interviews on the same day, 1 hr. apart. 

This led me to believe that the early, walk in biometrics did not make my case move any faster. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
2 hours ago, kid1412 said:

It probably doesn't. Why would you think it make your case any faster?

I thought the purpose of doing a “walk in” biometrics ahead of the scheduled time is the belief that you could get a head start; and get onto the “interview queue” earlier. 

4 minutes ago, nybpc said:

I thought the purpose of doing a “walk in” biometrics ahead of the scheduled time is the belief that you could get a head start; and get onto the “interview queue” earlier. 

No, not really. I remember received my EAD card before my biometrics appointment even. That was a long time ago though.

2 hours ago, nybpc said:

There’s certainly a belief among many VJ members that this is the case. So this post was interesting, thank you!

3 minutes ago, love_my_wife said:

Walk-ins are just a matter of convenience so that you can go any time you like before the scheduled date and avoid missing biometrics if you for any reason, you can't make it on your scheduled date and time. Also, if you do walk-in during non peak hours, you can get in and out in 5 minutes. Whereas if you go on the scheduled time which is early morning usually, it can take 30 minutes to an hour as has been reported on this forum as majority of people still make it as per their scheduled date and time!

This must be totally ASC dependent. I just did my 1pm scheduled bio yesterday. I was in and out, including filling in the requested survey card, in less than 6 minutes. There was one person in line in front of me and another family came in after me.... that’s it. You’d think Oakland would be a busy ASC but apparently not!! 

1 minute ago, love_my_wife said:

hmm, ASCs have light loads during the afternoon. They are pretty busy when they open early morning. My scheduled time was 8:00am but I did walk-in!

So then it makes no sense to do a walk-in if you have a scheduled later appointment? This is our 3rd bio appointment at Oakland (one for replacement GC and one for UK visa bio) and they were all around lunchtime and all quick, though this was the fastest - the other 2 were around 20 minutes. 

On 10/23/2018 at 4:19 PM, love_my_wife said:

Well nobody is forcing anyone to do walkins... People do it if they wish to. I just did it for my convenience to get it out of my way earlier!

True!

It won’t affect the processing times and yes it’s a matter of convenience.  Specially if you have travel plans and the Biometric Appointment is 2 or 3 weeks away.

N-400 (Online - Seattle Field Office)

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(04days) 2018-10-05 Received NOA by mail

(05days) 2018-10-06 Received email - Biometrics appointment is scheduled

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

(436days) 2019-12-11 I am US Citizen now!!!

1 hour ago, CarlHamilton said:

One data point doesn't prove or disprove anything.  Source: middle school science class.

Actually, if something is claimed to be universally true, all you need is one data point to disprove it. Your statement is true for generalizations though. One can certainly say that the OP’s case shows it is not true that early biometrics always moves cases faster. It says nothing about the average experience though, which I guess is more what your actual point is. (You only need to find one black swan to disprove that all swans are white; but that doesn’t change the fact that the average person seeing a swan will see a white one.) of course we just have a “belief” on VJ that earlier biometrics = earlier processing, but there’s no real way to prove that without being able to compare what would have happened... although OP’s case comes close to that ;)

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.