msham

Passport Return: Canada Post strike

326 posts in this topic

Timeline
33 minutes ago, BananaButton5 said:

In a few weeks!?! Ugh....I hope not....I'm flying up to be with him through the interview and we were planning on flying back together but I only have two weeks off of work. Really hope it doesn't take several weeks, before this strike most people were able to get it by the end of the same week! 

Here's a little hope for you and anybody else that recently had their interview or is having their interview soon. 

After the interview, my wife was given a sheet of paper for passport tracking with some phone numbers on their to call for questions. 

She called the Montreal office phone number and they explained to her that in 5 business days, she will get an email stating that her passport is ready to go. After that, we can pick it up or we can authorize somebody to pick it up for us (we'll most likely use a courier service). 

The lady said that the Canada post strike is still in effect (contrary to the news?), so they won't be mailing out the passports quickly. 

I'll follow up with all of you on what happens with the passport. I'm trying to get my wife here asap, so I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to expedite the process at this point! 

Best of luck to everyone

Edited by ayazk

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, ayazk said:

Here's a little hope for you and anybody else that recently had their interview or is having their interview soon. 

After the interview, my wife was given a sheet of paper for passport tracking with some phone numbers on their to call for questions. 

She called the Montreal office phone number and they explained to her that in 5 business days, she will get an email stating that her passport is ready to go. After that, we can pick it up or we can authorize somebody to pick it up for us (we'll most likely use a courier service). 

The lady said that the Canada post strike is still in effect (contrary to the news?), so they won't be mailing out the passports quickly. 

I'll follow up with all of you on what happens with the passport. I'm trying to get my wife here asap, so I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to expedite the process at this point! 

Best of luck to everyone

Many thanks for sharing, I guess I'll give the number a call too. Interviewer didn't mention anything about the strike but admittedly I was too emotional at the time to have asked about it too. Would be great if they're still holding passports at the embassy, would feel a lot better with a private courier taking care of it given what others have shared about their experience.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
59 minutes ago, skyzee said:

Many thanks for sharing, I guess I'll give the number a call too. Interviewer didn't mention anything about the strike but admittedly I was too emotional at the time to have asked about it too. Would be great if they're still holding passports at the embassy, would feel a lot better with a private courier taking care of it given what others have shared about their experience.

Hey there

could you provide me with the phone number on the passport tracking paper as well? I was only given a pink welcome to US piece of paper.

Edited by Ayaoyao

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ayaoyao said:

Hey there

could you provide me with the phone number on the passport tracking paper as well? I was only given a pink welcome to US piece of paper.

This is the Montreal office that she called

+1 (438) 793-1947

Options 1, 8, 4 according to wife. Hope this helps! :)

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ayaoyao said:

Hey there

Good luck, keep us posted on how it goes. Gigantic gongshow ensuing

Timeline
8 minutes ago, skyzee said:

Good luck, keep us posted on how it goes. Gigantic gongshow ensuing

I called the number and the gentlemen who answered the phone was not very helpful. He told me my visa is still being processed by the consulate(I’ve been in ISSUED- Final processing). They said once the consulate mail it out they will have a tracking.

I am kind of lost here, I thought final processing means it’s been issued and is being sent out. I’ve been stuck at this stage for 3 days and still no email/tracking :(

Also I know at least one person who had the interview on the same day as me already received their passport. This is stressing me out.

Edited by Ayaoyao

Timeline
Just now, Ayaoyao said:

I called the number and the gentlemen who answered the phone was not very helpful. He told me my visa is still being processed by the consulate(I’ve been in ISSUED- Final processing). They said once the consulate mail it out they will have a tracking.

I am kind of lost here, I thought final processing means it’s been issued and is being sent out. I’ve been stuck at this stage for 3 days and still no email/tracking :(

I'm actually skeptical that the people who answer the phone will know anything about whether they're mailing vs holding passports in Montreal right now. Maybe you could send an email to the Montreal embassy email to ask? Not that they're helpful either but perhaps worth a try as well. Sorry to hear you're stuck a week later... Looking forward to experiencing the same stress next week....... 😕

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Ayaoyao said:

Also I know at least one person who had the interview on the same day as me already received their passport. This is stressing me out.

Just curious, the person who received their passport, do you know what part of Canada they are from and how it was delivered to them? (i.e. mailed to their house or pick up at Canada post)

Timeline
Just now, Alyssamac90 said:

Just curious, the person who received their passport, do you know what part of Canada they are from and how it was delivered to them? (i.e. mailed to their house or pick up at Canada post)

It was one of the poster here, I forgot who, I think they have it delivered to their house. I thought all method goes through canadapost so it’s weird that even though both of us had the interview and approved together, they got it much faster.

Timeline

I doubt courier option will make a difference since it's also goes through Canada post. That's just my speculation, but seems to be random. You could be the poor poster here who's been waiting since 1st week of November for their passport that's sitting in Richmond sorting facility, or you can be the lucky chap who gets the option of hiring a private courier. Regardless, best we can do is just keep each other updated since I doubt anyone knows what's going on. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, miguelakira said:

My visa was approved Nov. 5th, and it was sent to me from Montreal Nov. 23rd. It arrived at Ottawa yesterday, Nov. 28th. I chose the regular Canada Post delivery, and had to go pick it up. 

Thanks for posting this! Did they happen to give you the option of picking it up directly from Montreal?

Timeline

Well ladies and gentlemen I had called the other day to open a ticket with Canada Post about my hubby's passport and documents. The responded to us by telling us we need to call the Consulate to open an investigation. So I called them today and the guy on the phone was very confused why they would email that to us. Put me on a veryyyyyyy long hold and then came back to tell me that we do indeed need to call the US Consulate because the package is MISSING!!!!!!!!!! He said it's not lost, but it is missing, and due to their agreement with the US Consulate it has to come from them as it is sensitive material. If you have extra wine send it my way :cry:

Visa Interview Date: November 6th, 2018

Date they actually mailed it: November 21st, 2018

Edited by Hill.ary

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.