msham

Passport Return: Canada Post strike

326 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Mevora said:

I spoke to them today & they did sent in the person however I forgot to attach the letter by the embassy. So just make sure you do so. He'll go there tomorrow. I was surprised that Courier company didn't point it out

Yes I will make sure to attach everything. I will call them this morning! 

2 hours ago, CKING said:

Do you mind if I ask when your interview date was?

Hi. It was Nov 2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Rawan jaber said:

Yes I will make sure to attach everything. I will call them this morning! 

Hi. It was Nov 2

If you haven't contacted them yet, here's more from my experience! 

I also live in Windsor and it was easy peasy. :D 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just in case anyone is not yet aware, this was on the CTV news website today and should be all over the news by now. Hopefully this helps out some of you who need to make plans for the Passport return after the interview. 🙂

Good luck to everyone ! 

CTVNews.ca Staff 
Published Tuesday, November 20, 2018 12:51PM EST 
Last Updated Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:34PM EST

Federal Labour Minister Patty Hajdu says the government will table legislation to end the Canada Post strike unless a resolution is reached “over the next few days.”

Developing story...

Service Center: Nebraska 

Consulate: Montreal, Canada 

Marriage: 1994-07-02

I-130 Sent: 2017-11-13

I-130 NOA1: 2017-11-17

I-130 RFE: 2018-06-01 (Requested Large Marriage Certificate-Applied to Government for Certificate)

I-130 RFE Sent: 2018-06-29

USCIS Email Received acknowledging receipt of RFE: 2018-07-10-same date shows received on USCIS website.

I-130 Approval NOA2 Letter received with Notice date of: 2018-08-10

I-130 Approved-NOA2 USCIS Website: 2018-08-13 

USCIS Email received stating we sent your case to NVC on: 2018-08-20 (Email received: 2018-09-13)

NVC Received Case: 2018-08-27-Date received by phone call to NVC-advice given to call NVC 7 days after case sent to NVC

Called and also emailed NVC to ask question about New Requirement for Police Certificate Effective Sept 10th: 2018-09-07, was advised would take 8 weeks for case number from date received at NVC. (Only took 3 weeks)

Received Case number: 2018-09-18-Email Received 

Received AOS & IV Bill: 2018-09-18-Email Received

Paid AOS & IV Bills: 2018-10-09

CEAC website shows AOS & IV as "Paid":  2018-10-11 (2 business days) 

IV Application (DS260) completed: 2018-11-01

Submitted AOS & IV Documents: 2018-11-04

Case Complete: 2018-11-09 

Interview date received by phone call and email: 2018-12-17

Interview Date: Jan 25, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. 

Interview Complete: APPROVED ! 🙂🙂

Passport/Visa received at home address in BC: 2019-02-01

13 hours ago, mikobarb said:

If you haven't contacted them yet, here's more from my experience! 

I also live in Windsor and it was easy peasy. :D 

😁 I got in touch with them! It’s on it’s way I hope!!!!!! Small world huh! Nice to know someone close by with same experience! Thank you again! Will update with any new info! 

Timeline

Hey guys!

I had my interview recently and I was told I was approved after that the status on CEAC first said "Issued"- with the a note on the bottom saying it was going through some administrative process. Now the status still says "Issued", but it says final processing and I should expect my passport in 5 Business days. I am assuming everything is over and is ready to ship out (correct me if I am wrong).

I paid extra to have them delivered to me at home and I just noticed that if you choose the home delivery they use a courier service and not post Canada. Hence I am assuming I will not be effected by the strike. Or am I wrong?

Thank you!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ahoy01 said:

Hey guys!

I had my interview recently and I was told I was approved after that the status on CEAC first said "Issued"- with the a note on the bottom saying it was going through some administrative process. Now the status still says "Issued", but it says final processing and I should expect my passport in 5 Business days. I am assuming everything is over and is ready to ship out (correct me if I am wrong).

I paid extra to have them delivered to me at home and I just noticed that if you choose the home delivery they use a courier service and not post Canada. Hence I am assuming I will not be effected by the strike. Or am I wrong?

Thank you!

I just wanted to note that I had also paid for it to be sent directly to my house but it was still not sent out because of the strike. :/ I ended up using a courier service in Montreal. Looks like the Canada Post might be ending soon though? Hopefully!  It could have been an oversight, but it's worth contacting the Consulate about anyway. 

I had my interview on Nov 2nd, and on Nov 5th my status was being displayed online as ISSUED. It also said that, if in 5 days I hadn't received my passport, I should visit  www.usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice/us_courier_information, but the link does not work. I tried contacting the embassy, and got a default reply.

I was worried, but for what I can tell, because of the strike, things are going pretty slowly over there, is that right? So I guess I should just be more patient?

Thanks everyone!

21 hours ago, C32 said:

So I had my interview today and asked about this and was told that they are no longer holding passports and will be sending out by CPC. 

I have no idea what that means in terms of what to expect for wait times though. 

As of Friday at midnight, the government will legislate Canada Post back to work - but I was told by my aunt (who works in parliament) that they’re pretty backlogged in Toronto right now - hopefully the wait time isn’t too bad! 

So glad that they’re mailing out the passports again!!

Removing Conditions timeline:

• I-90 accidentally submitted - 2020-08-14
  • I-751 submitted & received - 2021-03-26
  • Biometrics applied to case - 2021-04-21
  • Ready to schedule interview - 2021-12-22
  • Interview scheduled - 2022-01-04
  • Interview - 2022-02-01 / Postponed
  • New 10 year card being sent out!!!!
    2022-02-03 / Case Approved 2022-02-04

Timeline
38 minutes ago, arellah said:

As of Friday at midnight, the government will legislate Canada Post back to work - but I was told by my aunt (who works in parliament) that they’re pretty backlogged in Toronto right now - hopefully the wait time isn’t too bad! 

So glad that they’re mailing out the passports again!!

Me too. She seemed to think I’d get it pretty much right away by courier. I don’t know what to expect. 

After talking to my fiance last night, decided I should just email the  consulate to see if I can pick it up instead. Just to be safe. 

Timeline
10 hours ago, C32 said:

Me too. She seemed to think I’d get it pretty much right away by courier. I don’t know what to expect. 

After talking to my fiance last night, decided I should just email the  consulate to see if I can pick it up instead. Just to be safe. 

So if the strike is finally over next week, what way would one receive the passport package faster? By registering for delivery by Canada Post or pay the extra for courier delivery, even if one will be waiting in Montreal either way....

Timeline
1 hour ago, BChance said:

So if the strike is finally over next week, what way would one receive the passport package faster? By registering for delivery by Canada Post or pay the extra for courier delivery, even if one will be waiting in Montreal either way....

I don’t think there’s any way to know, unfortunately. 

At least, by telling them you’ll be picking up (or hiring a courier?) you can get a little control over the situation and know you won’t be stuck waiting for a month or more. 

Timeline

I was kind of liking the idea of using a separate courier service to pick up the passport and send it to me directly, now they consulate is not holding passports even if you request it?

Interview is this coming Tuesday, hopefully it's not so backlogged that it takes forever to receive the passport :( 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.