25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 10/18/2018 at 4:05 PM, barcaizk said:

I have been live in the usa for 5 years

I only went to morocc 4 times 

The total month in the whole 5 years is

7 month is that good or not

you had to be here for a 5 year period to file and for the 7 months outside the US,  you would need 5 years plus 7 months / they will check that

going to morocco to see family is hardly a big issue

people get homesick

miss family

miss the food

if you had headed out to a middle east country  (say using your moroccan pasaport) and thenccoming back using green card, it would mean bigger background check

1 hour ago, adil-rafa said:

you had to be here for a 5 year period to file and for the 7 months outside the US,  you would need 5 years plus 7 months /

This is not correct, as long as no individual trip was longer than 6 months (which would break continuous residence) then 5 years from date of green card is fine.  The physical presence requirement is met.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

This is not correct, as long as no individual trip was longer than 6 months (which would break continuous residence) then 5 years from date of green card is fine.  The physical presence requirement is met.

ok 

read it different in rules

14 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

ok 

read it different in rules

6 months absence is presumed to break continuous residence, and need a total of 30 months within the US in past 5 years to meet physical presence, so it seems very clear both requirements easily met in this case assuming that no one trip was longer than 6 months (which seems unlikely with 4 trips totalling 7 months).

Not sure what version of the rules you read but FYI here’s the official summary for you to refer to https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/continuous-residence-and-physical-presence-requirements-naturalization

more details in the manual but doesn’t seem necessary as this aspect is clearly not the complicating issue 

(By the way if continuous residence was broken you don’t just add on, you have to restart the 5-year clock from the last entry. If a physical presence issue you need to keep going till you have the total 30 months within a 5-year period to apply. So I’m not sure how just adding on a cumulative absence to 5 years would work anyway for either of these?)

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

6 months absence is presumed to break continuous residence, and need a total of 30 months within the US in past 5 years to meet physical presence, so it seems very clear both requirements easily met in this case assuming that no one trip was longer than 6 months (which seems unlikely with 4 trips totalling 7 months).

Not sure what version of the rules you read but FYI here’s the official summary for you to refer to https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/continuous-residence-and-physical-presence-requirements-naturalization

more details in the manual but doesn’t seem necessary as this aspect is clearly not the complicating issue 

(By the way if continuous residence was broken you don’t just add on, you have to restart the 5-year clock from the last entry. If a physical presence issue you need to keep going till you have the total 30 months within a 5-year period to apply. So I’m not sure how just adding on a cumulative absence to 5 years would work anyway for either of these?

i asked about this on here before husband took a trip home when he was also eligle to apply

the following is the part i was worried about

and on  here by many experts i was told didn't mean the 3 months immeditaely prior to applying 

In addition, applicants are required to show they have resided for at least three months immediately preceding the filing of Form N-400 in the USCIS district or state where the applicant claims to have residency (See 8 CFR §316.2(a)(5) & §319.1(a)(5)).

16 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

i asked about this on here before husband took a trip home when he was also eligle to apply

the following is the part i was worried about

and on  here by many experts i was told didn't mean the 3 months immeditaely prior to applying 

In addition, applicants are required to show they have resided for at least three months immediately preceding the filing of Form N-400 in the USCIS district or state where the applicant claims to have residency (See 8 CFR §316.2(a)(5) & §319.1(a)(5)).

I’m not sure exactly what you mean or what the “experts” told you but the part of the rule you quoted seems pretty clear to me. It doesn’t seem connected with the original strand of discussion here though?

Edited by SusieQQQ

10 minutes ago, barcaizk said:

I only stayed 4 month the first time 

And 2 month second time and 1 mo the 3 time and 1 month the 4 Time

Total is 8 month in the whole 5 years

Yes, this is not a problem at all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No way of knowing, depends on their investigations.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.