MarinaMT

Forgot to list address when I was studying abroad for 10 months

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 
I am the beneficiary of a K1 visa. We just received the NOA1, and I realized that I misread part of our I-129F form... I thought I also had to put my address history since the age of 18, but as beneficiary I had to put my address history since the age of 16 (I am about to turn 22). When I was 16, I spent 10 months in Germany as an exchange student. I did not get a residence there, I still kept my residence in Italy, and I did not sign any paperwork to live at the address since I was assigned to a host family. Also, I was still enrolled in my Italian high school since I was just an exchange student in Germany in collaboration with my high school, and I did not move there permanently or anything. I have been looking for similar threads, and from what I can tell it is impossible to update our address history now. 
Should I wait for a RFE (if we get one), or should I inform the embassy whenever and if we get accepted without a problem, and bring a police certificate there? I am not even sure whether I need to bring a police certificate since I lived there for less than 1 year. 
Help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by MarinaMT

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

That might not be an issue at USCIS level or it may be. But most likely it won’t. You will however need to provide a police certificate furing your interview from all countries you’ve lived in for 6 months or more since the age of 16 so that falls into that category. The rules are 6 months or more not a year. Read the instructions again. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Even though the official rule says "6 months or more since age 16", there are additional consulate-specific instructions. Therefore, here in Brazil, for example, the consulate only requires a police certificate from another country if you lived there for 12 months or more since age 16. I even emailed them to confirm this information because I would need one if it were "6 months". So, check the instructions for police certificates required for the interview at your consulate :) 

On 10/18/2018 at 5:04 AM, gkzrl said:

Even though the official rule says "6 months or more since age 16", there are additional consulate-specific instructions. Therefore, here in Brazil, for example, the consulate only requires a police certificate from another country if you lived there for 12 months or more since age 16. I even emailed them to confirm this information because I would need one if it were "6 months". So, check the instructions for police certificates required for the interview at your consulate :) 

On 10/17/2018 at 8:50 PM, TNJ17 said:

That might not be an issue at USCIS level or it may be. But most likely it won’t. You will however need to provide a police certificate furing your interview from all countries you’ve lived in for 6 months or more since the age of 16 so that falls into that category. The rules are 6 months or more not a year. Read the instructions again. 

Thank you for the answers, both of you! I checked the website of the US Embassy in Naples and it says that you need a police certificate if you have lived in a foreign country 12 or more months, so I will not need a German police certificate 😃 I am still a little bit worried because I did not include that address in the petition, even though my main residence was still in Italy... do you guys think that that might cause an RFE or any other problem, or not? From what I read online it should not, but I would still like to know your opinion! I am new to this whole thing - and to this website, sorry about all these questions, I just can't wait to be with my future husband after 5 years!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
4 hours ago, MarinaMT said:

Thank you for the answers, both of you! I checked the website of the US Embassy in Naples and it says that you need a police certificate if you have lived in a foreign country 12 or more months, so I will not need a German police certificate 😃 I am still a little bit worried because I did not include that address in the petition, even though my main residence was still in Italy... do you guys think that that might cause an RFE or any other problem, or not? From what I read online it should not, but I would still like to know your opinion! I am new to this whole thing - and to this website, sorry about all these questions, I just can't wait to be with my future husband after 5 years!

Are you applying for K1 or CR1? K1s need police certificate for 6 months or more. CR1 need it for 12 months or more. Make sure you’re reading the right information. Here’s the official link.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#5

9 hours ago, TNJ17 said:

Are you applying for K1 or CR1? K1s need police certificate for 6 months or more. CR1 need it for 12 months or more. Make sure you’re reading the right information. Here’s the official link.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#5

I am applying for K1 (the US Consulate in Naples does not do CR1 visas, only K1). Since the link you sent me says 6 months, and the Consulate's website says 12, I contacted the Consulate directly and asked them. They said that what is reported on their website - 12 months or more - is the correct one and the one I would have to follow as an Italian. So problem solved, thank you so much 😊😊

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
11 hours ago, TNJ17 said:

It depends from country to country. In Belgium you need a police certificate only from 12 months on for a K1...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.