mahoroty22

MARRIED as a Filipino citizen then DIVORCED as an USC

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Just have couple of questions that has been troubling me for some time. Hopefully i can get answers through here and possibly help not only me but also others in the same situation as mine. 😊

Heres my situation:

I was married in 2014 in the Philippines with a filipina, i was only still a greencard holder that time (Filipino citizen). Then by 2016 she started to have a change of heart and to make story short, wanted to have her own separate way with another person. In 2017, i was granted my US citizenship. After trying my best to work things out with her, I ended up filing for our divorce here in the US (some people said i didnt really have to but i just want things to be clear and done).

*she still in the philippines and still a filipino citizen.

*i heard about the recognition of divorce in the philippines, but someone told me i dont need to go through that since I am already a USC.

My questions:

1. As a current USC, is it possible for me to re-marry someone in the Philippines in the future? (Wanted to get married in a catholic church, if possible)

2. My ex-wife and I havent spoken to each other for a yr, but from what I heard, she's threathening me to make my life miserable. Is there any possibilities that she can sue me for anything after our divorced? And/or after marrying someone in the Philippines?

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE REPLIES!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

AFAIK, in the eyes of the Philippines you are still married. You are still a Philippines citizen, I assume, so the Philippines does not care if you are also a USC. You cannot remarry in the Philippines unless you first obtain an annulment. Recognition of divorce would only work if you, a Philippines citizen were divorced by a foreign spouse abroad & said foreign spouse was the one filing for divorce. That is NOT your situation. What you CAN do is file for a K-1 for a potential fiancée then marry in the US because in the eyes of the US you are divorced thus free to marry.

Edited by EM_Vandaveer

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

4 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

AFAIK, in the eyes of the Philippines you are still married. You are still a Philippines citizen, I assume, so the Philippines does not care if you are also a USC. You cannot remarry in the Philippines unless you first obtain an annulment. Recognition of divorce would only work if you, a Philippines citizen were divorced by a foreign spouse abroad & said foreign spouse was the one filing for divorce. That is NOT your situation. What you CAN do is file for a K-1 for a potential fiancée then marry in the US because in the eyes of the US you are divorced thus free to marry.

Hi! Very much appreciated reply sir.

Im currently and been in the US since 2011, i got my US citizenship in 2017 and renounced my Filipino citizenship at the same time. I want to marry here in the US, but i am also thinking of having the church ceremony/marrying in the Philippines since lots of my relatives are there. 

I was also told that, im considered a foreigner now by the Philippine gov't and if I wanted to get married in the Philippines, i would need to complete the requirements as a foreigner. Thus, i wont be needing the cenomar in the philippines since Im not a filipino citizen anymore but rather need to acquire in here in the US and bring it to the philippines. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline
6 minutes ago, mahoroty22 said:

Hi! Very much appreciated reply sir.

Im currently and been in the US since 2011, i got my US citizenship in 2017 and renounced my Filipino citizenship at the same time. I want to marry here in the US, but i am also thinking of having the church ceremony/marrying in the Philippines since lots of my relatives are there. 

I was also told that, im considered a foreigner now by the Philippine gov't and if I wanted to get married in the Philippines, i would need to complete the requirements as a foreigner. Thus, i wont be needing the cenomar in the philippines since Im not a filipino citizen anymore but rather need to acquire in here in the US and bring it to the philippines. 

I'm a woman but you are very welcome. Yes, if you renounced your Filipino citizenship prior to divorce that may change things. At least, your ex, I believe could go through recognition of divorce & be free to marry, but that's not what concerns you. There is no CENOMAR or similar in the US as there is no federal or state marriage registry, either. The county is the entity with which one's marriage & divorce is registered. You need to find out the exact requirements for marrying as a foreigner in the Philippines but I have this feeling that when you go for your license, they'll see you were born there & may still run a search for CEMAR/CENOMAR. What if, then your CEMAR pops up? I wonder if it'll satisfy them that you renounced your Filipino citizenship prior to divorce or not. Interesting case.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

2 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

I'm a woman but you are very welcome. Yes, if you renounced your Filipino citizenship prior to divorce that may change things. At least, your ex, I believe could go through recognition of divorce & be free to marry, but that's not what concerns you. There is no CENOMAR or similar in the US as there is no federal or state marriage registry, either. The county is the entity with which one's marriage & divorce is registered. You need to find out the exact requirements for marrying as a foreigner in the Philippines but I have this feeling that when you go for your license, they'll see you were born there & may still run a search for CEMAR/CENOMAR. What if, then your CEMAR pops up? I wonder if it'll satisfy them that you renounced your Filipino citizenship prior to divorce or not. Interesting case.

My apologies maam, thank you very much for you help and replies :) bless u

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 3:55 PM, mahoroty22 said:

Hi everyone! Just have couple of questions that has been troubling me for some time. Hopefully i can get answers through here and possibly help not only me but also others in the same situation as mine. 😊

Heres my situation:

I was married in 2014 in the Philippines with a filipina, i was only still a greencard holder that time (Filipino citizen). Then by 2016 she started to have a change of heart and to make story short, wanted to have her own separate way with another person. In 2017, i was granted my US citizenship. After trying my best to work things out with her, I ended up filing for our divorce here in the US (some people said i didnt really have to but i just want things to be clear and done).

*she still in the philippines and still a filipino citizen.

*i heard about the recognition of divorce in the philippines, but someone told me i dont need to go through that since I am already a USC.

My questions:

1. As a current USC, is it possible for me to re-marry someone in the Philippines in the future? (Wanted to get married in a catholic church, if possible)

2. My ex-wife and I havent spoken to each other for a yr, but from what I heard, she's threathening me to make my life miserable. Is there any possibilities that she can sue me for anything after our divorced? And/or after marrying someone in the Philippines?

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE REPLIES!

You have to bring the divorced decree if you want to marry in the Philippines along with other documents and the legal capacity to marry. You have to bring the documents to the LCR when you apply for the marriage license. As far as I know, you are still married in the Philippines even you are a USC. The CEMAR with your ex-wife is still available in the Philippine registry since you got married there. I am not sure of how it will affect with applying the marriage license. 

IR-5 Timeline (Petitioning my mother from the Philippines)

01/06/2017 - Mailed Petition to Arizona Lockbox via USPS certified mail - Paid: $4 and change

01/09//2017 - Petition was received (Priority Date)

01/16/2017 - Received  text and email notification that case was accepted and routed to Texas Service Center

01/20//2017 - Received NOA1 in the mail (Form I-179c)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.