SBUK

Beginning K1 Visa process, both currently residing in the U.K

6 posts in this topic

Good evening, firstly I just wanted to say that this forum is incredibly helpful, thank you to all of you for your help and advice for everybody that has asked for it. 

Just wanted to hear some advice and opinions on my partner and I's current situation: Should everything go according to plan,  we will be heading to Michigan in June. We're doing our research and speaking to other mutual friends we know that have gone through / still going through the process and I think that our situation is unique. I say this because my fiancé (a U.S citizen) and I currently live together in the U.K, she is a student in her final year of University (we've been together for 5 and a half years and living together for 3). Obviously this means that she has no proof of income in the U.S and therefore would really struggle to provide good evidence of being able to financially support me upon entering the U.S. 

I read somewhere that its easier to have a family member of my fiancé be the affidavit once applying for the work permit and green card. However, can we still rely on a family member to be an affidavit for the K1 Visa process? How reliant must my fiancé's finances be for the K1? 

I also get the impression that we've made the situation harder for ourselves by both being in the U.K currently, so if anybody has any advice on the best way to approach the application with us both being in the U.K then that would be appreciated! 

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thank you in advance for any response! 

Edited by SBUK

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 minutes ago, SBUK said:

Good evening, firstly I just wanted to say that this forum is incredibly helpful, thank you to all of you for your help and advice for everybody that has asked for it. 

Just wanted to hear some advice and opinions on my partner and I's current situation: Should everything go according to plan,  we will be heading to Michigan in June. We're doing our research and speaking to other mutual friends we know that have gone through / still going through the process and I think that our situation is unique. I say this because my fiancé (a U.S citizen) and I currently live together in the U.K, she is a student in her final year of University (we've been together for 5 and a half years and living together for 3). Obviously this means that she has no proof of income in the U.S and therefore would really struggle to provide good evidence of being able to financially support me upon entering the U.S. 

I read somewhere that its easier to have a family member of my fiancé be the affidavit once applying for the work permit and green card. However, can we still rely on a family member to be an affidavit for the K1 Visa process? How reliant must my fiancé's finances be for the K1? 

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thank you in advance for any response! 

You can get a co-sponsor, who would need to make over 125% of the poverty guidelines. If that person meets this requirement, your fiancé would have to, or she would need to look for a co-sponsor who would be able to make as much as needed. This link shows how much your fiancé/co-sponsor would need to make https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Good luck on your k1 journey ! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 hours ago, Olichka said:

You can get a co-sponsor, who would need to make over 125% of the poverty guidelines. If that person meets this requirement, your fiancé would have to, or she would need to look for a co-sponsor who would be able to make as much as needed. This link shows how much your fiancé/co-sponsor would need to make https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Good luck on your k1 journey ! 

EDIT:

If her co-sponsor CANNOT meet the requirement (125% over poverty guidelines) your fiance would have to do that, or look for a co-sponsor who would be able to make as much as needed***

Another option if you both live in the UK is to marry and do DCF...cheaper and much faster, plus none of the drawback of a K-1 (unable to work or travel abroad) for several months

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mozambique
Timeline

Not sure if I can help but I am currently out of the U.S. living with my fiancé, too. I have a temporary residence card so I can stay for a full year and renew each year. I completed the forms together with him to begin the process and had someone (who was here visiting) take them back to the U.S. for me and mail them to the lockbox. 

I-129F Sent: April 12, 2018

I-129F Received: April 13, 2018 (confirmation by email)

I-129F NOA1: April 18, 2018

I-129F NOA2: October 5, 2018 (received by mail on October 12, 2018)

NVC Received: November 1, 2018

NVC Case Number Assigned: November 2, 2018

Left NVC: November 13, 2018

Arrived at Embassy: November 19, 2018

Packet 3: November 27, 2018

Packet 4: December 14, 2018

Interview: February 7, 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.