nompish

N-400 October 2018 Filers

1,465 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
3 minutes ago, animkofi said:

So sorry to hear that. My wife and I had our combo interview today in Charlotte, NC and the officer did and approved both. Which city and state did you have yours in?

Hello. I got approved in Charlotte today too. I might see you in the waiting room. Congratulations.

Do they tell you when will be the oath?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 minute ago, animkofi said:

Thanks. The officer said i should be getting a letter in the mail and that will have the date on the there. Congrats to you too.

Thank you. Please let me know when they schedule you. Who was your officer? 

1 minute ago, animkofi said:

Ok. I guess the only option is to wait or maybe call uscis and request to speak to a tier 2 officer to find out why they didn’t do the i751 interview.

I think so wait is best idea. Bcz i asked IO about it and told him I bought my with me too so if they can do today but IO said they don’t have IO who do i 751 interview i am only for n400 ... and it may be true bcz this is new uscis local office and it’s really small so may be he was right . 

7 minutes ago, Good boy said:

I think so wait is best idea. Bcz i asked IO about it and told him I bought my with me too so if they can do today but IO said they don’t have IO who do i 751 interview i am only for n400 ... and it may be true bcz this is new uscis local office and it’s really small so may be he was right . 

Okay. All the best!

2 hours ago, GoodbyeGirl said:

So, found out at my local social security office today, that you cannot update  your status without the original citizenship certificate.

I brought a copy, because the passport office currently has the original. 

Another plus for expediting your passport application if you want to get your Social Security updated and squared away as soon as possible. 

I wasn’t too sure, so thought I’d give it a try.  Hopefully I’ll have my passport in the next couple of weeks and will try again. 😊

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering about that. I'm also changing my name, so I'm wondering if they will take that certificate for my passport  so I have to wait for changing all my IDs/cards/etc as well...

5 hours ago, Ninna said:

Hey guys. My husband applied for his citizenship and had his biometrics on oct 1, 2018.  It seems a lot of people are getting their interviews or have had their interviews already but we have not had any action on his case since biometrics. We are coming up on 7 months now on May 1 and we have not heard anything yet. I check his case status every few days and it still says we are actively reviewing your case. He does have a dismissed charge from over 5 years ago and a pending charge for simple property damage that happened After he applied for his n400🤦🏻‍♀️ Any advice? If he gets his charge closed and taken care of before interview should he be ok at his interview and still pass?? My mind is always going in circles wondering and worrying. We just want to be done with all of this! 

What state? It may be normal processing time for your state/city. I have my interview in a few weeks (I applied in Nov.), about 5 months after my application. 5 - 7 months seems to be normal for ROC/N-400 combis here, while others in other states had their in 1-3 months time. Also, remember that a VERY small percentage of applicants are on this forum, so what you see here may not reflect average wait times!

The adviser at social security told me that next time I can bring just my USA passport as that is proof of American citizenship too. That's good as my certificate will be returned after my passport - which I've just been notified should arrive by Monday. Yay! 

Will be so great to get to the end of this. Can't imagine throwing a name change into the mix too - good luck. :)  

1 hour ago, Butterfly83 said:

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering about that. I'm also changing my name, so I'm wondering if they will take that certificate for my passport  so I have to wait for changing all my IDs/cards/etc as well...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current status: UK and USA citizen

12-Mar-19: I-751 (WAC18026) + N400 combi interview

Outcome

16 Mar-19: I-751 ~ Green Card in Hand (from submission to card delivery, 17 months)

19 Apr-19:  N400 ~ Naturalization Oath Ceremony, certificate in-hand! (from submission to oath, 6 months)

1 May 19: Voter registration card in-hand

3 May 19: USA passport in-hand

11 May 19: New SSN card in-hand

Just found this while checking the ss-5 form for what's acceptable as proof of citizenship: 

image.thumb.png.3879ac0f06554f2c94b84d7f921cdb26.png

30 minutes ago, GoodbyeGirl said:

The adviser at social security told me that next time I can bring just my USA passport as that is proof of American citizenship too. That's good as my certificate will be returned after my passport - which I've just been notified should arrive by Monday. Yay! 

Will be so great to get to the end of this. Can't imagine throwing a name change into the mix too - good luck. :)  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outcome

16 Mar-19: I-751 ~ Green Card in Hand (from submission to card delivery, 17 months)

19 Apr-19:  N400 ~ Naturalization Oath Ceremony, certificate in-hand! (from submission to oath, 6 months)

9 minutes ago, GoodbyeGirl said:

Just found this while checking the ss-5 form for what's acceptable as proof of citizenship: 

image.thumb.png.3879ac0f06554f2c94b84d7f921cdb26.png

Thanks! Yea, I was sure that they would need the name change document. I'm just not sure if I have to send in a copy or OG for the passport. I guess it doesn't matter since I will need my passport or naturalization paper for SSN anyways. I wonder if it is better to take care of the SSN and new state ID first (same day) before applying for my passport. I read that here that they advise you to wait for 10 days before going to the SSN office... Does this mean that you are not allowed to take care of your SSN before or they simply prefer it that way? Either way, these are the last steps and soon it will be over... 

Perhaps I should have read this before going to social security this morning. LOL  :) 

I think applying for a passport and then updating your SSN maybe the way USCIS prefer it as that's how they've laid out the order of events post ceremony. I didn't think of getting my SSN updated first, as I am more concerned with getting my passport. I've had a poke around though and it looks like you can update your SSN first.

A lot of people prefer to wait for their passport though, as that way you don't have to take your certificate to your social security office as proof of citizenship. I'm going to file mine in a safebox once I get it back from the passport office. 

My husband changed his name two years ago, and when he renewed his passport, we provided a certified copy of the court order name change. It was accepted.

Apply for a U.S. Passport/Passport Card

We strongly recommend that you apply for a U.S. passport through the U.S. Department of State soon after you take the Oath of Allegiance. Please allow sufficient time between your naturalization ceremony and any planned travel to receive your passport.

• In addition to your Certificate of Naturalization, a U.S. passport serves as official proof of citizenship.
  • You will get an application for a U.S. passport at your naturalization ceremony in the U.S. Citizenship Welcome Packet. It is also available at most U.S. Post Offices or via the web at http://travel.state.gov

You will need to submit your original certificate of naturalization or citizenship AND a photocopy when applying for your U.S. passport. USCIS does not prohibit photocopies of certificates when providing proof of U.S. citizenship to the Department of State.

Update your Social Security Record

After your naturalization ceremony, you should update your Social Security record at a local office of the Social Security Administration (SSA). Please wait at least ten days after your ceremony before going to the SSA to ensure that data reflecting your naturalization has been updated. You will need your Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. passport when you visit the SSA to update your record. To find your local Social Security office, call 1-800-772-1213 or visit www.socialsecurity.gov.

23 minutes ago, Butterfly83 said:

Thanks! Yea, I was sure that they would need the name change document. I'm just not sure if I have to send in a copy or OG for the passport. I guess it doesn't matter since I will need my passport or naturalization paper for SSN anyways. I wonder if it is better to take care of the SSN and new state ID first (same day) before applying for my passport. I read that here that they advise you to wait for 10 days before going to the SSN office... Does this mean that you are not allowed to take care of your SSN before or they simply prefer it that way? Either way, these are the last steps and soon it will be over... 

Outcome

3 hours ago, Butterfly83 said:

What state? It may be normal processing time for your state/city. I have my interview in a few weeks (I applied in Nov.), about 5 months after my application. 5 - 7 months seems to be normal for ROC/N-400 combis here, while others in other states had their in 1-3 months time. Also, remember that a VERY small percentage of applicants are on this forum, so what you see here may not reflect average wait times!

Well he had his biometrics in New Orleans so I’m assuming his interview will be in New Orleans as well. We live in Louisiana.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.