17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi Citizen mom filing for two sons. Older son who is now 18 got approved but younger son 14 going on 15 has an RFE needing to prove relationship. In my country getting an immediate birth certificate isn't neccasry so we had to make one last year in december so I'm assuming that's why the younger one has an RFE. I don't have any school records or other documents that prove our relationship. It's not common to have these in my Country. School records I'm trying to get one from the school teacher. Pictures of us together has been lost long ago. The only way to prove is DNA. How much is that? And if I want to submit the DNA and school records, how will I respond to the RFE? Is there a way to expedite the DNA process to days and how much is that? How long does it take to get a response from USCIS? Can they deny if my only evidence is a DNA TEST? How long does it also take for case to be sent to NVC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 9/15/2018 at 12:21 PM, josie125 said:

Hi Citizen mom filing for two sons. Older son who is now 18 got approved but younger son 14 going on 15 has an RFE needing to prove relationship. In my country getting an immediate birth certificate isn't neccasry so we had to make one last year in december so I'm assuming that's why the younger one has an RFE. I don't have any school records or other documents that prove our relationship. It's not common to have these in my Country. School records I'm trying to get one from the school teacher. Pictures of us together has been lost long ago. The only way to prove is DNA. How much is that? And if I want to submit the DNA and school records, how will I respond to the RFE? Is there a way to expedite the DNA process to days and how much is that? How long does it take to get a response from USCIS? Can they deny if my only evidence is a DNA TEST? How long does it also take for case to be sent to NVC

It is very easy to get certified birth certificate, school records in Ghana. Do you have Baptism certificate?  USCIS does not require DNA. It takes between one week to a month for USCIS to send approved case to NVC

Timeline
45 minutes ago, Sugarlegetiti said:

It is very easy to get certified birth certificate, school records in Ghana. Do you have Baptism certificate?  USCIS does not require DNA. It takes between one week to a month for USCIS to send approved case to NVC

we have birth certificate which took a month + and trust me it was unfortunately not easy for me to get. the point is it's not a neccasity to get it right after birth so the birth certificate is late by 17 years hince the need for an RFE. i've been trying to get school records for months now too, still nothing. Anyways could you answer the rest of the questions please. if i could ge the school record that would be the only record i'd have besides dna 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, josie125 said:

we have birth certificate which took a month + and trust me it was unfortunately not easy for me to get. the point is it's not a neccasity to get it right after birth so the birth certificate is late by 17 years hince the need for an RFE. i've been trying to get school records for months now too, still nothing. Anyways could you answer the rest of the questions please. if i could ge the school record that would be the only record i'd have besides dna 

Read my post again, I answered the DNA and how long it takes case from USCIS to NVC.

Timeline
44 minutes ago, josie125 said:

i mean the other questions please

I don't know what other questions you want me to answer, the RFE wants prove of relationship 

Birth certificate, school records and baptism certificate will do. You can not do DNA on you own,  again USCIS do not require  a DNA test.

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 9/15/2018 at 3:21 PM, josie125 said:

The DNA is the final prove of the relationship, and you don't need to bother yourself looking for that evidence.The only thing that can delay your case is the C.O is going to request a DNA test from your child if you don't have enough evidence to proves your relationship at the time of the interview.This is the process for the DNA if requested by C.O(1)The C.O is going to give you a letter that your name and child name on it(2)That letter carry with your I.D card to any accredited DNA office that USCIS approved(3)After DNA test they will send  back  to the requested office(4)After C.O received the DNA test,C.O will schedule the child date and time for he/her DNA test(5)The child will go with the copy of the letter requested for DNA with he/her passport with 2 passport photos (6)If the child is under 18 the petitioner has to write a letter for trusted person to accompany the child to DNA office for the test(7)The trustee will go with the I.D card(8)After both finished the DNA test the samples will send to U.S for conducting and after that they send results back to the requested office again(9)And if you pass the test the C.O will write or call  you to bring your passport, medical reports and police certificate to dhl office.This can take you 3 to 6 months approximately sometimes longer than that. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Sugarlegetiti said:

I don't know what other questions you want me to answer, the RFE wants prove of relationship 

Birth certificate, school records and baptism certificate will do. You can not do DNA on you own,  again USCIS do not require  a DNA test.

You can't do DNA on your own, but if you don't have enough evidence to proves your relationship C.O can requested DNA test or asked you you to do DNA.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just a side note - you can voluntary submit DNA test with from an AABB-accredited lab. I helped one of my friend with her case, she petitioned for her parents due to Vietnam-US War, they lost all paperwork thus they did not have any official document to show my friend had relationship to them so we did a voluntary DNA test and accepted. 

No evidence to support the relationship is not so rare in my country. When my grandparents petitioned for my family: we did not have anything (even a single picture) after the first interview they gave my parents an RFE to submit additional evidence within 90 days, my grandma fought and US to Vietnam and took a few pictures and we got our visa.  It was 2 decades ago and DNA test was not popular back then.

From Page 9 of I-130 Instruction

E. For parent-child relationships only: If other forms of evidence have proven inconclusive, the petitioner may submit on a voluntary basis other evidence of a birth parent and birth child relationship to include deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) testing. DNA test results will only be accepted by USCIS from parentage-testing laboratories accredited by the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB). A list of laboratories can be viewed at www.aabb.org/sa/facilities/Pages/RTestAccrFac.aspx.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Chiefay said:

The DNA is the final prove of the relationship, and you don't need to bother yourself looking for that evidence.The only thing that can delay your case is the C.O is going to request a DNA test from your child if you don't have enough evidence to proves your relationship at the time of the interview.This is the process for the DNA if requested by C.O(1)The C.O is going to give you a letter that your name and child name on it(2)That letter carry with your I.D card to any accredited DNA office that USCIS approved(3)After DNA test they will send  back  to the requested office(4)After C.O received the DNA test,C.O will schedule the child date and time for he/her DNA test(5)The child will go with the copy of the letter requested for DNA with he/her passport with 2 passport photos (6)If the child is under 18 the petitioner has to write a letter for trusted person to accompany the child to DNA office for the test(7)The trustee will go with the I.D card(8)After both finished the DNA test the samples will send to U.S for conducting and after that they send results back to the requested office again(9)And if you pass the test the C.O will write or call  you to bring your passport, medical reports and police certificate to dhl office.This can take you 3 to 6 months approximately sometimes longer than that. 

thank you so much for taking your time to reply. this is very helpful because this whole process is so stressful. they are requesting evidence i do not have, most evidence have been lost or either cannot get, can only get new ones which i don't know how to get evidence of non existence. i'm going to have to do the dna test for sure

9 hours ago, RTLE said:

Just a side note - you can voluntary submit DNA test with from an AABB-accredited lab. I helped one of my friend with her case, she petitioned for her parents due to Vietnam-US War, they lost all paperwork thus they did not have any official document to show my friend had relationship to them so we did a voluntary DNA test and accepted. 

No evidence to support the relationship is not so rare in my country. When my grandparents petitioned for my family: we did not have anything (even a single picture) after the first interview they gave my parents an RFE to submit additional evidence within 90 days, my grandma fought and US to Vietnam and took a few pictures and we got our visa.  It was 2 decades ago and DNA test was not popular back then.

From Page 9 of I-130 Instruction

E. For parent-child relationships only: If other forms of evidence have proven inconclusive, the petitioner may submit on a voluntary basis other evidence of a birth parent and birth child relationship to include deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) testing. DNA test results will only be accepted by USCIS from parentage-testing laboratories accredited by the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB). A list of laboratories can be viewed at www.aabb.org/sa/facilities/Pages/RTestAccrFac.aspx.

i appreciate your time in informing me, i'm really at a standstill right now as it's difficult to obtain these records and some have been lost and i can only get new ones of some which may not be sufficient anyways but i will try my best. thank you. did you explain there were no evidence or did you just submit dna by itself?

Timeline
6 hours ago, josie125 said:

thank you so much for taking your time to reply. this is very helpful because this whole process is so stressful. they are requesting evidence i do not have, most evidence have been lost or either cannot get, can only get new ones which i don't know how to get evidence of non existence. i'm going to have to do the dna test for sure

i appreciate your time in informing me, i'm really at a standstill right now as it's difficult to obtain these records and some have been lost and i can only get new ones of some which may not be sufficient anyways but i will try my best. thank you. did you explain there were no evidence or did you just submit dna by itself?

I submitted birth certificate, school records, baptism certificate,received of money transfer and affidavits of my family and his family and pictures of my son and me but I didn't have early childhood pictures together with him and birth certificate was not early birth certificate,it was late birth certificate.The C.O was not convinced because C.O noticed that the birth certificate was late and we don't have early childhood pictures,so C.O asked or requested  my son for DNA test if my son was willing to do the test( it's Optional)and my son accepted,so we did the DNA test.That is the final thing to proved my relationship to my son.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Chiefay said:

I submitted birth certificate, school records, baptism certificate,received of money transfer and affidavits of my family and his family and pictures of my son and me but I didn't have early childhood pictures together with him and birth certificate was not early birth certificate,it was late birth certificate.The C.O was not convinced because C.O noticed that the birth certificate was late and we don't have early childhood pictures,so C.O asked or requested  my son for DNA test if my son was willing to do the test( it's Optional)and my son accepted,so we did the DNA test.That is the final thing to proved my relationship to my son.

thank you so much for taking your time to answer, this is very helpful! God bless you dear

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
8 hours ago, josie125 said:

For my friend case, we just submitted the sealed result.

For my parent case - I was not sure about what were submitted to USCIS back then  but during the interview at Ho Chi Minh City Consulate, they told us there was no evident to prove my mother and my grandmother relationship. So my grandmother booked ticket, then took some pictures with my family, we requested 2nd interview and they accepted the newly taken pictures as proof. It was 20 years ago so people said at that time things were much easier - we immigrated with 9 people :) in one petition.

Timeline
48 minutes ago, josie125 said:

thank you so much for taking your time to answer, this is very helpful! God bless you dear

Let's know if you have any questions regarding your petition....We are here to share our experiences.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An overly judgmental post has been removed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.