rmpking

Change of status (O1), recently married

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

My husband and I recently got married here in the US three months ago and I am not slightly overwhelmed as I start to deal with the process for my permanent residency. We are hoping to avoid using a lawyer to save costs. 

I am Canadian and have been working in the US on an O1 visa (this is my second one and it expired June 2020). I understand I will be filing an adjustment of status. My husband and I currently live together in NY. 

I have a few questions... 

It is my understanding that once I file I cannot leave the country (or if I do need to there is paperwork involved), yes?

Will I be able to continue working as normal? It seems to me that after filing I'll get a temporary work authorization that will be used instead of my O1

I usually work places other than where my home is. Working in the arts sometimes I have a 6-8 week contract booked at another location in the US. How much notice is usually given before having to report for biometrics and interview?

Thanks for reading my post as I get started on this journey... mostly looking for some insights on adjusting status from a non-resident work visa to permanent residency.

Thanks in advance for your help!

* Moved from IR-1/CR-1 P&P to AOS from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas *

1. If you exit without AP, your AOS case will be deemed abandoned. There are some exceptions for H and L statuses, but I don't think this applies to O-1.
  2. Yes, you can work normally. No change of status has occurred by filing for AOS.
    1. If you obtain an EAD (I-765) you use that instead of O-1 status.
  3. Usually a coupled weeks for biometrics and about a month(?) for interview.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
On 9/2/2018 at 12:30 PM, rmpking said:

Hello,

My husband and I recently got married here in the US three months ago and I am not slightly overwhelmed as I start to deal with the process for my permanent residency. We are hoping to avoid using a lawyer to save costs. 

I am Canadian and have been working in the US on an O1 visa (this is my second one and it expired June 2020). I understand I will be filing an adjustment of status. My husband and I currently live together in NY. 

I have a few questions... 

It is my understanding that once I file I cannot leave the country (or if I do need to there is paperwork involved), yes?

Will I be able to continue working as normal? It seems to me that after filing I'll get a temporary work authorization that will be used instead of my O1

I usually work places other than where my home is. Working in the arts sometimes I have a 6-8 week contract booked at another location in the US. How much notice is usually given before having to report for biometrics and interview?

Thanks for reading my post as I get started on this journey... mostly looking for some insights on adjusting status from a non-resident work visa to permanent residency.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Once you file, until you receive your combo card (Advanced Parole for Traveling especially), don't leave the country. You leaving the country without AP, from USCIS perspective, means you abandon your application. Once you've received your AP, you can travel.

2. You can continue working since your O1 visa won't be invalid just because you filed for aos

3. Biometrics and interview notices usually get delivered about 4-8 weeks before the scheduled date. For biometrics you can always walk in early if you have the notice in hand (I walked in mine 2 weeks earlier than the scheduled date). For interview, I don't think it's a wise idea to reschedule since it can take forever to get a new interview date. Based on your local office timeline, you can have a rough idea when the interview dates will be (within a few months range), so you can plan your work ahead of time.

4 hours ago, NancyLyz said:

2. You can continue working since your O1 visa won't be invalid just because you filed for aos

O-1 status is what matters, not the visa (although the visa would remain valid as well). :P

4 hours ago, NancyLyz said:

For biometrics you can always walk in early if you have the notice in hand

This depends on the ASC. Some accept walk-ins. Some do not. Call ahead if unsure.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

O-1 status is what matters, not the visa (although the visa would remain valid as well). :P

This depends on the ASC. Some accept walk-ins. Some do not. Call ahead if unsure.

Ah that's true. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.