DougNHawaii

Didn't leave enough $$$...what fees can I pay online?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Just a dollar account, not a Peso account?    

She can go to the bank and exchange USD for pesos from that account

YEs it is just a dollar account.....hehhehe…. but since the dollar is gaining value against the PP...hehhe….it is better than interest bearing! :)

But as her expenses are just around the corner...I will probably have her withdraw the money and close the account soon.

Western Union, in my experience, is the easiest.  They have WU everywhere in the Philippines.  

Yeah, you get jipped a little on the exchange rate but unless you're sending a large amount it won't hurt that bad.  Sending a few hundred dollars won't make that much of a difference. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Kevo said:

Western Union, in my experience, is the easiest.  They have WU everywhere in the Philippines.  

Yeah, you get jipped a little on the exchange rate but unless you're sending a large amount it won't hurt that bad.  Sending a few hundred dollars won't make that much of a difference. 

Exchange rate & fee are more with WU.  

How is WU easier than CLICK - CLICK ?   I used WU way back (they wanted me to drive to a store that handled WU), then I started using XOOM, later I found REMITLY with better rates and no fee ... there are a couple other outfits that seem to be good.   

All the services I know of have hundreds of pickup locations in the Philippines (or is it thousands)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Exchange rate & fee are more with WU.  

How is WU easier than CLICK - CLICK ?   I used WU way back (they wanted me to drive to a store that handled WU), then I started using XOOM, later I found REMITLY with better rates and no fee ... there are a couple other outfits that seem to be good.   

All the services I know of have hundreds of pickup locations in the Philippines (or is it thousands)

Hey Hank....I am having trouble finding the old content I have posted.....but quick question.... Do I need my MNL number before I pay visa fee?  I am trying to get everything done that I can....ahead of receiving MNL number....  Still not available when calling today.

7 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

How is WU easier than CLICK - CLICK ? 

I should've said easy instead of easier, as I haven't used another service to compare.  For my wife, when she was in the Philippines, WU was the only option.  She's from a pretty secluded place and WU was the only service available, that we knew of. 

Edited by Kevo

Timeline
5 minutes ago, DougNHawaii said:

Hey Hank....I am having trouble finding the old content I have posted.....but quick question.... Do I need my MNL number before I pay visa fee?  I am trying to get everything done that I can....ahead of receiving MNL number....  Still not available when calling today.

Actually .. no.   

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/visa-payment.html

You won't be able to do anything much after that until you have your MNL #

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Kevo said:

I should've said easy instead of easier, as I haven't used another service to compare.  For my wife, when she was in the Philippines, WU was the only option.  She's from a pretty secluded place and WU was the only service available, that we knew of. 

Remitly has over 10,000 pickup locations, and I think XOOM or Transferwise are about the same.

Transfer to over 10,000 locations

Send money directly to bank accounts in Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. ++   Your recipient can also pick up money at Cebuana Lhuillier, M Lhuillier, BPO, BPI, Metrobank, any SM Mall and any Globe outlet. 
See our full list of partners here.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Kevo said:

Someone on the first page of this thread....said that (or that is what I understood)… that 'Remitly.com' locations....were the same as WU.

My fiancé is also in a remote area (Vigan).  And I am not familiar with REMITLY.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Remitly has over 10,000 pickup locations, and I think XOOM or Transferwise are about the same.

Transfer to over 10,000 locations

Send money directly to bank accounts in Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. ++   Your recipient can also pick up money at Cebuana Lhuillier, M Lhuillier, BPO, BPI, Metrobank, any SM Mall and any Globe outlet. 
See our full list of partners here.

Someone said....remitly and WU locations...are the same.....correct?

Cuz I have used WU once before.

Timeline
Just now, DougNHawaii said:

Someone said....remitly and WU locations...are the same.....correct?

Cuz I have used WU once before.

Now a days I would think they all use those pickup centers.    It has been a long time since I used WU, but I am sure my wife picked up the money at a regular pickup location like with Remitly.

WU is just too costly compared to the others.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Randyandyuni said:

if she is converting $$$ into Pesos can't beat the exchange rate at Villerica

I have found BDO bank to be very good with their exchange rates.  SM market by our home is also very good.  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Actually .. no.   

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/visa-payment.html

You won't be able to do anything much after that until you have your MNL #

Regarding 'no' ….when I look at the MRV...or deposit slip...it does not show anything about a MNL number... Is that something they will ask for...when she gets to the bank? (BPI)

Just now, Hank_ said:

I have found BDO bank to be very good with their exchange rates.  SM market by our home is also very good.  

good to know, SM not really an option (except in Manila) for us, closest real mall for us is 2 hour bus ride away from her parents

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.