changbaihou

Can we highlight the pertinent information in yellow?

11 posts in this topic

I saw some people said they made the pertinent information highlighted in yellow.

But I remember USCIS doesn't want people mark any color on the documents. USCIS said they will scan all the paper in black and white.

So highlinghting on the paper is a good idea or not? 🙄

Thanks!

👆 Let's go to this thread to discuss the timelines in Nebraska (LIN) center! 👆

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

no highlighting at all. you have answered the question in your own post

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

dont highlight anything on copies of official forms or documents. 

i highlighted phone calls on the copies of phone records i sent (which in and of itself is unnecessary). even on a scan it comes through, though not in yellow of course.  but as i said, sending those was totally unnecessary to begin with, but i already had them printed out so not a big deal to include them for us (and demonstrates the insane amount of time we spend on the phone, should they care. which they dont. lol)

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Thank you guys reply...

Imagine you are the officer, highlighting on the important information really helps when you facing the huge number of materials, as long as they review the original documents we submit.

Even myself spent a lot of time to search the real meaningful information through the documents.

Sometime the USCIS rule doesn't make sense.😁

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I personally highlighted the scanned documents provided in very light pastel yellow, especially when it's just a wall of text to look through. I did the same on my prior applications, no issues. 

It's light enough that they could go over it with a traditional yellow highlighter and it wouldn't get muddled with the previously highlighted items. 

USCIS Process:

Sent I-130 (via Canada Post): Feb 29, 2016

NOA1 hardcopy received: March 16, 2016

NOA2 approval text & email: June 9, 2016

-------------------------------------------------------

NVC Process:

Case number and IIN Assigned: July 5, 2016

Choice of Agent (DS-261) completed: July 6, 2016

IV application (DS-260) completed: July 12, 2016

Sent AOS & IV packets (Electronic Processing): July 14, 2016

CC: July 20, 2016

Medical: September 13, 2016

Interview: September 19, 2016 APPROVED!

POE: October 31, 2016

ROC Process:

Submitted I-751 (USPS Overnight): August 2, 2018

Approved: August 21st, 2019

6 hours ago, mrskent said:

I personally highlighted the scanned documents provided in very light pastel yellow, especially when it's just a wall of text to look through. I did the same on my prior applications, no issues. 

It's light enough that they could go over it with a traditional yellow highlighter and it wouldn't get muddled with the previously highlighted items. 

Thanks, I saw a lot of people said they highlighted their documents in their cover letter.

I'm about to do the same thing if their petitions were not returned by USCIS. 😉

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, changbaihou said:

Thanks, I saw a lot of people said they highlighted their documents in their cover letter.

I'm about to do the same thing if their petitions were not returned by USCIS. 😉

Has anyone had them returned for that reason that you've seen? I can 100% understand if they highlight original documents like affidavits. 

USCIS Process:

Sent I-130 (via Canada Post): Feb 29, 2016

NOA1 hardcopy received: March 16, 2016

NOA2 approval text & email: June 9, 2016

NVC Process:

Case number and IIN Assigned: July 5, 2016

Choice of Agent (DS-261) completed: July 6, 2016

IV application (DS-260) completed: July 12, 2016

Sent AOS & IV packets (Electronic Processing): July 14, 2016

CC: July 20, 2016

Medical: September 13, 2016

Interview: September 19, 2016 APPROVED!

POE: October 31, 2016

ROC Process:

Submitted I-751 (USPS Overnight): August 2, 2018

Approved: August 21st, 2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country:
Timeline

I have highlighted some of the relevant information of the photocopies since the beginning of my immigration process. It is just a personal choice. I used the PDF highlighting text a lot as well as the Pen highlighter for the evidence I sent to USCIS. To be more specific I used the highlighter for names, date, address, bank transactions etc. 

Think it twice. USCIS said they will deny the application directly if they don't like after 9/11. Not sure highlighting breaks their rules, although it will help them a lot.

Like anything else in the United States, I think it depends. Some officers like to get highlighted, but others don't. So it is up to your choice and depends on whose hand will be given to in the service center per USCIS officer's personal taste, which we have no way to figure it out. 

Some officers who dont like the highlighted think when the evidences are highlighted, they tend to show only favorable material facts to the officers' attention while unfavorable evidences are getting hard to catch. 

Yeah of course, when you are submitting I 751, it is assumed that you are seeking for immigration benefits. Of course, you would only be interested in provide the most favorable information because that is why you are submitting I 751. 

However, officers job is not just to give approval, but would need to go thru each material facts and verify if the story matches with documentation, during which the highlighted content (or favorable to applicant's perspective) only hampers the objective understanding of evidences, and therefore officers start to suspect that you would only highlight contents to blind their eyes and wonder if you would hide some facts and ask what the intent was. 

So it is up to you. like anything else, everything in the United States, there is no answers, and it all depends. Ultimately, it is also your choice as well! 

5 hours ago, xillini said:

Like anything else in the United States, I think it depends. Some officers like to get highlighted, but others don't. So it is up to your choice and depends on whose hand will be given to in the service center per USCIS officer's personal taste, which we have no way to figure it out. 

Some officers who dont like the highlighted think when the evidences are highlighted, they tend to show only favorable material facts to the officers' attention while unfavorable evidences are getting hard to catch. 

Yeah of course, when you are submitting I 751, it is assumed that you are seeking for immigration benefits. Of course, you would only be interested in provide the most favorable information because that is why you are submitting I 751. 

However, officers job is not just to give approval, but would need to go thru each material facts and verify if the story matches with documentation, during which the highlighted content (or favorable to applicant's perspective) only hampers the objective understanding of evidences, and therefore officers start to suspect that you would only highlight contents to blind their eyes and wonder if you would hide some facts and ask what the intent was. 

So it is up to you. like anything else, everything in the United States, there is no answers, and it all depends. Ultimately, it is also your choice as well! 

Thanks a lot for your analysis。 I won't take the risk, I won't highlight the materials that I will submit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.