cywrainide

US Name change (???)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Uganda
Timeline

Before I begin, sorry with the amount of deed poll related topics I've been posting here. Both my fiance and I had our names changed way back as children by our respective mothers, so we're totally meant for each other hahahahaha.

In my country when you have a name change you present a deed poll, etc etc. So I know how that goes. But i'm currently in charge of collating the K1 paperwork because my fiance has a physically demanding job and he's very busy and I have.. no idea how this works in the United States.

He was born 'Bob' *(Not his real name for privacy reasons) in the very late 80s. His mother lost the birth certificate in early 90s. So when they got a replacement birth certificate, they added his 'new' name 'Bobby' into it. I asked him if there was any court order proving that he changed his name, and he said no. As I type this he's sleeping so I'm going to also wait til later so he can call his mother to ask again.

All government documentation, first passport, first bank account was under Bobby instead of Bob. 

In my country, our original birth certificate has our birth name. So my name is now *Lisa, but in the document its *Lucy, even after I got a replacement it still shows the old name. So I for a fact HAVE to present my deed poll copy in the I-129F package.

As for my fiance, is it necessary to declare his name even if there's literally zero legal evidence of it ever existing now? I don't know how to go about this.

'

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i wasnt aware you could change a name on a birth certificate without legal process..... regardless, it is legal (my step dad adopted me when i was 12 and my birth certificate was changed to reflect that. he is listed as my father, and my birth name listed as his last name). it is my legal name, and as far as the govt is concerned, it IS my name and the BC is the only proof needed of that. but it was a legal court process they had to go through, and i imagine there is documentation somewhere.

use what is on the birth certificate and on his legal documents. a common nickname i doubt there would be any issue with. for example, my NAME is Debra. The ONLY time i use it is for legal stuff (some bills, passport, ID, banking, etc). I go by Debbie. 

My Sons name is Robert. He goes by Bob or Bobby (from family anyways, hes started having others call him robert. whatever, kid lol)

nicknames are common, so your example of bob might have not been the best lol now if his name on the certificate was David and he went by Mike on everything, i could see an issue.  (if any of that makes sense in my early morning rambling lolol)

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Very strange. His mother lost her copy of the birth certificate but the original is still filed with the records office of the county or state where he was born. It sounds like the replacement birth certificate is not a true copy of the original.

Since he's the petitioner, he only needs to prove he is a USC so he needs to provide a copy of either a birth certificate showing he was born in the USA or a copy of his US passport. Whatever name is on that document is the name to use on the forms. The other version should be listed under "other names used" if it appeared on any legal documents such as a driver's license. 

He's too busy to spare a couple of hours to do the paperwork that is required to unite him with the person he loves more than anyone else in the world? He needs to make time for this. Won't take more than 2 hours. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, JFH said:

Hes too busy to spare a couple of hours to do the paperwork that is required to unite him with the person he loves more than anyone else in the world? He needs to make time for this. Won't take more than 2 hours. 

i second that thought. i can't tell you how many hours Paul and I both have spent collecting and gathering  various documents or items... i may be the keeper of the papers, but he still has to do the legwork to GET the ones he didnt have, and then give to me to keep until his interview comes....

Edited by debbiedoo

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Other Country: Uganda
Timeline
58 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

i wasnt aware you could change a name on a birth certificate without legal process..... regardless, it is legal (my step dad adopted me when i was 12 and my birth certificate was changed to reflect that. he is listed as my father, and my birth name listed as his last name). it is my legal name, and as far as the govt is concerned, it IS my name and the BC is the only proof needed of that. but it was a legal court process they had to go through, and i imagine there is documentation somewhere.

use what is on the birth certificate and on his legal documents. a common nickname i doubt there would be any issue with. for example, my NAME is Debra. The ONLY time i use it is for legal stuff (some bills, passport, ID, banking, etc). I go by Debbie. 

My Sons name is Robert. He goes by Bob or Bobby (from family anyways, hes started having others call him robert. whatever, kid lol)

nicknames are common, so your example of bob might have not been the best lol now if his name on the certificate was David and he went by Mike on everything, i could see an issue.  (if any of that makes sense in my early morning rambling lolol)

Oh man, I forgot the cultural association of nicknames :P It's a 'Mike' and 'David' issue, very different names. Not really nicknames

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.