ioxtremod

Moving Apartments and Pending I-751

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

After reading some horror stories here, I wonder if it's wise to move when you've a pending I-751. I am around 2/3 of the waiting process (California center is showing around 20 months, been waiting around 15 months.), I am considering changing apartments inside the same city. I like my place alright, it's just I want to explore a different part of the city.

Is it fine to move after filling an AR-11 online for the address change, or you do improve the odds of having important mails lost?

Thanks,

I mailed my AR-11 and then filed my RoC 2 wks after mailing it in. I made it a point to call them a week after mailing my RoC file and let them know that I mailed an address change form in and the Tier 1 rep asked me to verify my details (name, address, DOB). Once verified, she asked if the address provided was the new one I requested the change for, I answered "yes" and she confirmed that it was updated on their end as the address on file. I also rec'd my 18mth extension letter at my new address. She did mention that it can take approx 30 days for the new address to be updated on my file/account but it took them under 3wks.

So, I have said ALL of the above to share my experience with changing addresses and also to let you know that you can move and change addresses while case is ongoing.

You should call USCIS to let them know beforehand that you will be relocating and address is changing so they can make a note on your file to not mail anything until the new address is updated.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

5 minutes ago, Amadia said:

I mailed my AR-11 and then filed my RoC 2 wks after mailing it in. I made it a point to call them a week after mailing my RoC file and let them know that I mailed an address change form in and the Tier 1 rep asked me to verify my details (name, address, DOB). Once verified, she asked if the address provided was the new one I requested the change for, I answered "yes" and she confirmed that it was updated on their end as the address on file. I also rec'd my 18mth extension letter at my new address. She did mention that it can take approx 30 days for the new address to be updated on my file/account but it took them under 3wks.

So, I have said ALL of the above to share my experience with changing addresses and also to let you know that you can move and change addresses while case is ongoing.

You should call USCIS to let them know beforehand that you will be relocating and address is changing so they can make a note on your file to not mail anything until the new address is updated.

I see, thanks for all the details. 

Is it hard to get a hold of Tier 1 representative on the phone? How did you check they correctly updated your new address? For your personal case, if you mailed the AR-11 before filling ROC, why not putting you new address directly on your ROC application? 

15 minutes ago, ioxtremod said:

Is it hard to get a hold of Tier 1 representative on the phone? How did you check they correctly updated your new address? For your personal case, if you mailed the AR-11 before filling ROC, why not putting you new address directly on your ROC application? 

No, when you dial in they answer within 10 mins. If they are too swamped with calls, you have the option for a Tier 2 officer to call you back at a designated number.

The Tier 1 agent asked me to verify my name, date of birth and address before she can help me. I gave her all the details and then she asked me if the address I gave her was the one I wanted it changed to or if that was the original address since my POE. I told her that the address I gave was the new one and she confirmed that it was successfully updated for my file.

When filing RoC, I DID put my new address on my application. I don't see why I wouldn't..........also, my old address since POE was my in-laws so I would still get mail there anyways.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

31 minutes ago, Amadia said:

No, when you dial in they answer within 10 mins. If they are too swamped with calls, you have the option for a Tier 2 officer to call you back at a designated number.

The Tier 1 agent asked me to verify my name, date of birth and address before she can help me. I gave her all the details and then she asked me if the address I gave her was the one I wanted it changed to or if that was the original address since my POE. I told her that the address I gave was the new one and she confirmed that it was successfully updated for my file.

When filing RoC, I DID put my new address on my application. I don't see why I wouldn't..........also, my old address since POE was my in-laws so I would still get mail there anyways.

Oh, cool, really good to know thanks!

I suppose you didn't updated your RoC address mid-process then? I think where it can get confusing for USCIS agents is the application they review is printed with the old address whereas the address change is on their computer systems.

I moved 4 times during the ROC process, I updated my address each time online. I called about a week later and confirmed they had my correct and new address on file. They normally send you correspondence through the mail to let you know they've received the request. 

At the end of my journey!

April 26th 2019 I became a United States Citizen!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

23 minutes ago, ThousandMoreSteps said:

I moved 4 times during the ROC process, I updated my address each time online. I called about a week later and confirmed they had my correct and new address on file. They normally send you correspondence through the mail to let you know they've received the request. 

Cool, good to know! 4 times is a lot, I suppose you got your USCIS mails fine then?

15 minutes ago, ioxtremod said:

Cool, good to know! 4 times is a lot, I suppose you got your USCIS mails fine then?

Yes, never had a problem with mail. I also signed up for informed delivery from USPS. It shows what mail is coming, so I knew if things were coming to the right place. 

At the end of my journey!

April 26th 2019 I became a United States Citizen!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.