Mina90

Passport/Passport Card for Domestic Flights

11 posts in this topic

I was renewing my license today and this note was on my DMV account.

DRIVER'S LICENSE OR ID EXPIRING ON OR AFTER OCTOBER 1, 2018

CONSIDER UPGRADING TO A REAL ID COMPLIANT CREDENTIAL

Starting October 1, 2018, DMV will offer customers the opportunity to obtain optional REAL ID compliant driver's licenses and IDs. If your driver's license or ID expires on or after that date, you may want to consider waiting to renew until REAL ID compliant credentials are available. 

Beginning October 1, 2020, the federal government will require you to present a REAL ID compliant credential or another form of approved identification, such as a U.S. Passport or Passport Card, in order to board a domestic flight or enter a secure federal facility. To find out if a REAL ID compliant credential is right for you, please visit dmvNOW.com/REALID.

So, I'm guessing that this means, starting 2020, we will be required to use US Passports or Passport Cards to go on domestic flights too? Any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Mina90 said:

Starting October 1, 2018, DMV will offer customers the opportunity to obtain optional REAL ID compliant driver's licenses and IDs. If your driver's license or ID expires on or after that date, you may want to consider waiting to renew until REAL ID compliant credentials are available. 

Beginning October 1, 2020, the federal government will require you to present a REAL ID compliant credential or another form of approved identification, such as a U.S. Passport or Passport Card, in order to board a domestic flight or enter a secure federal facility. To find out if a REAL ID compliant credential is right for you, please visit dmvNOW.com/REALID.

So, I'm guessing that this means, starting 2020, we will be required to use US Passports or Passport Cards to go on domestic flights too? Any thoughts?

You will have to use Govt issued ID which meets the REAL ID requirements. Many states have already made their DL Real ID compliant, others are working towards that goal. But yes, if you do not have a REAL ID complaint DL, you will need to use passport or passport  card. This has been in progress for a few years already 

6 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

You will have to use Govt issued ID which meets the REAL ID requirements. Many states have already made their DL Real ID compliant, others are working towards that goal. But yes, if you do not have a REAL ID complaint DL, you will need to use passport or passport  card. This has been in progress for a few years already 

I understood. It gave me the option of getting my license "REAL ID" compliant, but my license would expire the following day so it wasn't reasonable for me to get it. I suppose I will just use my US Passport for travel. It's not that big of a deal for me; wanted to know how others felt about it. 

1 minute ago, Mina90 said:

I understood. It gave me the option of getting my license "REAL ID" compliant, but my license would expire the following day so it wasn't reasonable for me to get it. I suppose I will just use my US Passport for travel. It's not that big of a deal for me; wanted to know how others felt about it. 

No, that will work . 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Mina90 said:

I always use my passport for air travel regardless of international or domestic.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It means your state is dragging it's feet, and 10 years after the REAL ID act became effective they still do not comply.  Makes them look bad.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

3 hours ago, Neonred said:

It means your state is dragging it's feet, and 10 years after the REAL ID act became effective they still do not comply.  Makes them look bad.

Maybe. VA tends to do that, but I checked the requirements for REAL ID and all the documentation to meet the standards are things we normally do submit. I guess they are just enforcing it since the DMV folks weren't asking for all those documentation from everyone?

I think this is will be good for security reasons once all states start properly enforcing REAL ID. 

1 minute ago, Mina90 said:

Maybe. VA tends to do that, but I checked the requirements for REAL ID and all the documentation to meet the standards are things we normally do submit. I guess they are just enforcing it since the DMV folks weren't asking for all those documentation from everyone?

I think this is will be good for security reasons once all states start properly enforcing REAL ID. 

I believe its not just the documentation required for the ID that must comply with the REAL ID requirements, but that the ID card itself has to have several extra advanced security features, making it more difficult to create a forgery.

1 minute ago, Dee elle said:

I believe its not just the documentation required for the ID that must comply with the REAL ID requirements, but that the ID card itself has to have several extra advanced security features, making it more difficult to create a forgery.

Yes, I saw that when I was researching some info on the REAL ID.  I'm all for it. I'm a real stickler for following rules and added security. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
9 hours ago, Mina90 said:

Most states are compliant with the REAL ID rules (drivers licenses etc)

3 hours ago, Neonred said:

Especially since the 2020 date is actually an extension. The initial deadline for this was Jan 2018. It's kind of surprising that some states haven't got this fully implemented yet.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an