jakelo

K1 Proof of Meeting Requirement (Canada)

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, jakelo said:

Hi VisaJourney,

We are starting to gather the Proof of Meeting Within the Last 2 Years requirement. I am writing as the beneficiary (Canadian citizenship).

Please follow the scaffold below. It'll be great to know if the collective evidence below is enough to not get an RFE. In the case that it's not enough, then I'd reckon a resort trip together in the same plane to Mexico would do it: boarding passes of us in the plane next to each other, complimentary Mexican passport stamps, and a resort reservation/receipt, along with photos. :jest:

1. She drove across the border October 2017, stayed the night in Canada, then the next day we both drove back into the USA (same car). Stayed several days with her, then flew back to Canada.
    1. She has no passport stamp entering Canada
    2. We both entered USA together, in her car, received no stamps on either of our passports.
      1. i94 travel history online records reveal that I did in fact cross that day. As she's American, she doesn't have access to these records, therefore us two cannot confirm this.
        1. We could note that we did in-fact cross together in the same car? Is this a good idea? I'd reckon they can fact-check this on their systems.
    3. We both have credit card statements revealing purchases in the USA, indicating same place, same time.
      1. Unfortunately no receipts were kept.
    4. I flew back to Canada. I have the boarding pass, United boarding e-Ticket, and i94 travel history online records revealing I left USA.
    5. Many photos.
  2. I visited her for a week in USA on November 2017, flying in.
    1. I have a passport stamp passing CBP.
    2. I do not have the departure boarding pass. I do have the return boarding pass. I have the Delta e-Ticket confirmation.
    3. I have a subset of receipts of my purchases. Some of them have my name on them. She has none.
    4. We both have credit card statements revealing purchases in the USA, indicating same place, same time.
    5. Many photos.
  3. She visited in Canada on January 2018.
    1. She has all her boarding passes.
    2. No passport stamp was given in Canada.
    3. Unfortunately no receipts were saved.
    4. We both have credit card statements revealing purchases made in Canada, same place, same time.
    5. We have tickets to an event, with group photos.
    6. Many photos.
  4. ... It goes on with several more trips, with evidence as a set or subset of the above ... There was one more trip where I visited her by plane in February (I have a passport stamp here too, but only departure boarding passese). Thereafter, we've been strictly train (me getting to a Canadian border city) and car (her driving across the border) bound due to better weather.
    1. There was one more instance of us crossing end of March 2018 in her car together into the USA.
    2. There was one instance where we both crossed into Canada from USA together.
    3. Unfortunately, besides the trip of her flying into Canada, we do not have a complete set of boarding passes

A main pattern has emerged to me. We do not have a single instance of having a passport stamp AND complete boarding passes in either of each others countries. We however have supplemental evidence (as exampled above, like receipts and credit card statements indicating cross spending, photos, airplane e-Tickets, etc.). Is this enough to not get an RFE?

Additionally, as I've done in the past for myself, we can both request our Canadian border passage history. This we can attach as evidence of her entries into Canada. In addition, it will indicate that we crossed the border at the same time (to the second), in the same lane. Is this a good idea?

... USA/Canada is a weird combination as neither country likes to stamp each other's passports for each other ... ^_^ Will be great if other American/Canadian couples can chime in here.

Cheers,

Jake.

Common Canadian beneficiary problem. You have more than enough to suffice. Very well thought out. The I 94 is a nice touch I never even thought of that. I recently (a month ago) entered the US on an approved K1 visa. I’m a Canadian. We took a tourist picture at the Seattle great wheel and included the receipt. Lol. I think you’ll be fine. 

18 hours ago, jakelo said:

Thanks!

She's visiting me this weekend (another car trip). If not bothering to submit credit card statements, is it a good idea for both of us to make a few purchases at a grocery store at similar times? We can then submit this along with the package.

Will be great if others could chime in too!

Cheers,

Jake.

During one of my trips we visited Biltmore House in Asheville NC. They took our photo as we entered and had it available to purchase as we exited. My (now) wife purchased it while I was getting us some food. We ended up submitting that as part of our proof of meeting because it showed the location and the date printed on the photo. We had a load of evidence of my flights to and from our home town, her trip to the UK, etc too.

I don't think you'll have any problems. The bar for proof of meeting is probably pretty low for Canadians (I mean, it would seem incredibly unlikely that a US/Canadian couple hadn't had at least ONE meeting in the past 2 years, and they'll probably understand the relative lack of evidence, since you can just walk or drive over the border).

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
20 hours ago, jakelo said:

Hi VisaJourney,

We are starting to gather the Proof of Meeting Within the Last 2 Years requirement. I am writing as the beneficiary (Canadian citizenship).

Please follow the scaffold below. It'll be great to know if the collective evidence below is enough to not get an RFE. In the case that it's not enough, then I'd reckon a resort trip together in the same plane to Mexico would do it: boarding passes of us in the plane next to each other, complimentary Mexican passport stamps, and a resort reservation/receipt, along with photos. :jest:

1. She drove across the border October 2017, stayed the night in Canada, then the next day we both drove back into the USA (same car). Stayed several days with her, then flew back to Canada.
    2. We both entered USA together, in her car, received no stamps on either of our passports.
      1. i94 travel history online records reveal that I did in fact cross that day. As she's American, she doesn't have access to these records, therefore us two cannot confirm this.
        1. We could note that we did in-fact cross together in the same car? Is this a good idea? I'd reckon they can fact-check this on their systems.
    3. We both have credit card statements revealing purchases in the USA, indicating same place, same time.
    4. I flew back to Canada. I have the boarding pass, United boarding e-Ticket, and i94 travel history online records revealing I left USA.
    5. Many photos.
    2. I do not have the departure boarding pass. I do have the return boarding pass. I have the Delta e-Ticket confirmation.
    3. I have a subset of receipts of my purchases. Some of them have my name on them. She has none.
    4. We both have credit card statements revealing purchases in the USA, indicating same place, same time.
    5. Many photos.
    4. We both have credit card statements revealing purchases made in Canada, same place, same time.
    6. Many photos.
  4. ... It goes on with several more trips, with evidence as a set or subset of the above ... There was one more trip where I visited her by plane in February (I have a passport stamp here too, but only departure boarding passese). Thereafter, we've been strictly train (me getting to a Canadian border city) and car (her driving across the border) bound due to better weather.
    1. There was one more instance of us crossing end of March 2018 in her car together into the USA.
    3. Unfortunately, besides the trip of her flying into Canada, we do not have a complete set of boarding passes

A main pattern has emerged to me. We do not have a single instance of having a passport stamp AND complete boarding passes in either of each others countries. We however have supplemental evidence (as exampled above, like receipts and credit card statements indicating cross spending, photos, airplane e-Tickets, etc.). Is this enough to not get an RFE?

Additionally, as I've done in the past for myself, we can both request our Canadian border passage history. This we can attach as evidence of her entries into Canada. In addition, it will indicate that we crossed the border at the same time (to the second), in the same lane. Is this a good idea?

... USA/Canada is a weird combination as neither country likes to stamp each other's passports for each other ... ^_^ Will be great if other American/Canadian couples can chime in here.

Cheers,

Jake.

She needs to approach the Canadian side as her entry will be documented there not on the US side.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

Timeline
1 hour ago, bad4tatt said:

She needs to approach the Canadian side as her entry will be documented there not on the US side.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

I'm aware that Canadian travel history report only reveals entry information for Americans and Canadians.

We both crossed into Canada in the same car in one instance, so requesting both our reports will indicate that we were in the same car together. :D

Did you submit these CBSA records as evidence in your K1 petition?

Timeline

We were in the same situation ... while we did fly back and forth on multiple occasions to see each other we did not keep any boarding passes (as we did not planned to get married when we met the first time lol) and we also had not stamps in passports. We submitted pictures, plane tickets purchase  proof, and what we could could come up as evidence and it was not sufficient. We got an RFE requesting an "official statement" - so we had to write a letter similar to the "promise to marry" letter stating that we did meet in person. I would suggest you also include this letter, something like "I solely declared that I met on that date (or dates) with X" and of course sign it. The RFE clearly indicated pictures are not evidence.... include as much as you can to avoid the delay of an RFE

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lola B said:

We were in the same situation ... while we did fly back and forth on multiple occasions to see each other we did not keep any boarding passes (as we did not planned to get married when we met the first time lol) and we also had not stamps in passports. We submitted pictures, plane tickets purchase  proof, and what we could could come up as evidence and it was not sufficient. We got an RFE requesting an "official statement" - so we had to write a letter similar to the "promise to marry" letter stating that we did meet in person. I would suggest you also include this letter, something like "I solely declared that I met on that date (or dates) with X" and of course sign it. The RFE clearly indicated pictures are not evidence.... include as much as you can to avoid the delay of an RFE

That gets me thinking...

Both of us can just visit a US Consulate in Canada and sign our "letter of intents to marry" and "how we met" in front of a consular official. Their stamp will indicate time / place for evidence?

Timeline
On 7/10/2018 at 7:37 PM, jakelo said:

That gets me thinking...

Both of us can just visit a US Consulate in Canada and sign our "letter of intents to marry" and "how we met" in front of a consular official. Their stamp will indicate time / place for evidence?

I don't think you need that and I would be very surprised if the consulate would do something like this but I may be wrong... 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/10/2018 at 8:37 PM, jakelo said:

That gets me thinking...

You're overthinking this. You don't need to appear in person before anyone to prove you were in the same place at the same time. The evidence you outlined in your first post is MORE than enough.

You have a sampling of passport stamps and boarding passes across a variety of recent trips.

You have a i94 travel record for one of you.

Hopefully you have photos of the two of you together on those trips.

Tickets to event in jan 2018 with ticket + photos is FINE evidence.

USCIS can draw the lines from that evidence. Don't send so much stuff it becomes cumbersome to examine. Choose carefully and wisely evidence that shows you have a relationship and have met the requirement of meeting in person in the last two years.

Good luck!

Timeline
On 7/10/2018 at 1:45 PM, Limey said:

During one of my trips we visited Biltmore House in Asheville NC. They took our photo as we entered and had it available to purchase as we exited. My (now) wife purchased it while I was getting us some food. We ended up submitting that as part of our proof of meeting because it showed the location and the date printed on the photo. We had a load of evidence of my flights to and from our home town, her trip to the UK, etc too.

I don't think you'll have any problems. The bar for proof of meeting is probably pretty low for Canadians (I mean, it would seem incredibly unlikely that a US/Canadian couple hadn't had at least ONE meeting in the past 2 years, and they'll probably understand the relative lack of evidence, since you can just walk or drive over the border).

lol @ your tourist space needle pic.

we have a tourist niagara falls pic like that, that we included too (mainly cause it was dated on the pic itself, though we have plenty of other evidence so it wasnt a big deal, really lol)

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
On 7/9/2018 at 6:06 PM, jakelo said:

Hi VisaJourney,

5. Many photos.
    5. Many photos.
    6. Many photos.

Cheers,

Jake.

Canada is an extremely low marriage fraud country. The USCIS is more concerned with background checks and proof that the petitioner can financially support the beneficiary upon arrival. You're wayyyyyy overthinking the proof of relationship part. Put a few things in, but I can assure you that is not the focus of their inquiry. 

K-1 Visa AOS Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

10/18/18 - Sent AOS Package to Chicago

10/25/18 - USCIS took AOS fee (credit card payment)

10/30/18 - NOA1 Text Messages Received

11/02/18 - Biometrics Appointment Letter & NOA1 Hard Copies Received

11/13/18 - Biometrics Appointment

11/13/18 - Received RFIE (forgot to include husband’s full tax return)

11/13/18 - AOS status updated to "On November 13, We Sent You A Request For Initial Evidence"

11/29/18 - RFIE response delivered to USCIS

03/25/19 - AOS status updated to "Ready To Be Scheduled For Interview"

04/02/19 - AOS status updated to "Interview Was Scheduled"

04/04/19 - Received Interview Letter

05/07/19 - Green Card Interview - Baltimore (did not get on the spot approval)

05/07/19 - AOS status updated to "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed"

05/29/19 - EAD status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced"

06/01/19 - EAD & AP 1-797 hard copies received

06/02/19 - EAD status updated to "Card Was Mailed To Me"

06/03/19 - Received updated SSN card with married name.

06/03/19 - EAD status updated to "Card Was Picked Up By USPS"

06/04/19 - EAD status updated to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office"

06/04/19 - Received Combo Card in the mail

07/13/19 - AOS status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced"

07/16/19 - AOS status updated to "Card Was Mailed To Me"

07/17/19 - AOS status updated to "Card Was Picked Up By USPS"

07/19/19 - AOS status updated to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office"

07/19/19 - Received Green Card in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.