8 posts in this topic

Yesterday at the DMV when I updated my address on my driver's license, I got a Real ID star. I didn't know about except for a quick google search 10 minutes before driving to the DMV. I think that the only thing different than the star is that after fall of 2020 airports won't accept non real-id's for domestic travel.

My husband, who is removing conditions, did not qualify for it according to the DMV lady when we went. It's not a big deal at this point, but I think he meets all of the requirements, and he had all of his documents. Any ideas as to why he was not allowed? His license is good for another 3 years.

Here's a link to the Kansas DMV info about it

I don't know what documentation he brought but whether to grant or not is partly up to the discretion of the DMV employee.

For me (USC) all they looked at was my passport, social security card and one other document that showed my address (mortgage statement).  I brought a binder of documents and they didn't go through them all.

For a co-worker (also a USC),  he had to leave and come back with an actual insurance card (not a printout) while I offered my insurance info and I was told it wasn't needed.

My husband, an LPR, had no problem getting a real ID.  Brought mortgage statement, passport, greencard, car registration, and a utility bill.   

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I looked at the full PDF for the Read ID documentation needed and it states this: ( https://ksrevenue.org/pdf/de56a.pdf )

Non-Citizen First Time or Renewing DL or ID: 

 You will need to visit a full service DL office.

Bring all the documents that give you lawful presence in the U.S. from list B.

Provide two proofs of Kansas residency from list C.

 If you have a Social Security number, you must bring one document from list D.

 If Driver’s Education has been completed, bring in the completion form. 

List B These documents show your date of birth, identity and lawful status or presence as a non-U.S. citizen. If possible, select a document that has your current full legal name to avoid documenting any name change.

 Valid Permanent Resident Card

 Valid Employment Authorization Card

 Valid I-94 i.e. (Asylee/Refugee)

 Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. entry marking and/or documentation

Did your husband have all required documents on him from list B, C and D when he applied?

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I really don't know any of the 'whys', but my husband was able to get his Real ID when he got his driver's license in February. He had to have his social security card with him, but that was the only thing that I can remember that they really needed for it (besides the regular proof of address, passport, etc)

27 minutes ago, Going through said:

I looked at the full PDF for the Read ID documentation needed and it states this: ( https://ksrevenue.org/pdf/de56a.pdf )

Non-Citizen First Time or Renewing DL or ID: 

 You will need to visit a full service DL office.

Bring all the documents that give you lawful presence in the U.S. from list B.

Provide two proofs of Kansas residency from list C.

 If you have a Social Security number, you must bring one document from list D.

 If Driver’s Education has been completed, bring in the completion form. 

List B These documents show your date of birth, identity and lawful status or presence as a non-U.S. citizen. If possible, select a document that has your current full legal name to avoid documenting any name change.

 Valid Permanent Resident Card

 Valid Employment Authorization Card

 Valid I-94 i.e. (Asylee/Refugee)

 Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. entry marking and/or documentation

Did your husband have all required documents on him from list B, C and D when he applied?

Yes, and a lot of extra ones! :/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

Yes, and a lot of extra ones! :/

I wonder if she based her decision to deny him on it being a conditional GC, then, instead of the 10-year.

I'd try again, if I were in your shoes, at a different DMV full-service office (or try again at the same office to get a different person and see if the result is different).

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

3 hours ago, Going through said:

I wonder if she based her decision to deny him on it being a conditional GC, then, instead of the 10-year.

I'd try again, if I were in your shoes, at a different DMV full-service office (or try again at the same office to get a different person and see if the result is different).

:thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.